Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Automatic a turbo, and only 6 psi?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2002, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic a turbo, and only 6 psi?

So i've gotten caught upwith an automatic but I'm trying to make the best of what ive got and buy a turbo. I'm being told I can only operate a stage 1 kit and my PSI can be no more than 6. Is this accurate? How about and intercooler? I've got outlets. I was just looking for more info on what I can operate with. It also gets cold here. How about winter operation of a turbocharger?
Old Jul 13, 2002, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.lancerforums.com/forums/s...0&pagenumber=5 (scroll down a bit)

RoadRace installed turbo in a Lancer with an auto tranny. Piping is very tight since the auto takes up so much more space but the intall is VERY clean. Not sure if it can run with an intercooler and that's something you'd have to talk to RoadRace about. PSI is more than likely set at no more than 5'ish. Best advice: call up RoadRace and have a chat.
Old Jul 14, 2002, 09:37 AM

A small intercooler couldn't hurt. Turbos run very hot and having an intercooler will help.
Old Jul 14, 2002, 09:55 AM

got the Super Street this month, it has good articles about adding turbo to your car, lots of cars too, like Ford Focus, Honda Preludes...its worth buying...

it wrote 7 psi gives you about 60 horses...so I think thats pretty sweet boosting there

other kits are available for like Civics...Integras...RX-7, Supra TT

also gives you a list of what parts you should/need to buy should you decide to go for turbo
Old Jul 14, 2002, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are pretty accurate with that estimate. We are the only ones who have done an Automatic Lancer Turbo conversion. Transmission will not handle more power than that. It is the primary limiting factor. The one we did ran pretty well for being an automatic!! If you have questions just call us.

ROAD/RACE

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Old Jul 15, 2002, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Automatic and turbo

Agreed the mitsi auto's really don't like a lot of power as we have found from turbo conversions in australia on teh lancers. Don't go above 6 - 7 psi.

The New lancer has just hit australia with the 2.0 motor which is great as we can now start testing them even further here now rather than checking items in the USA.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
Old Aug 27, 2002, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

what was the hp with auto trans,and did it have a different exhaust and headers?
Old Aug 27, 2002, 01:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Turbocharged cars don't use a header per se. Modifying the beginning of your exhaust system is a prerequisite for TCing because the turbine spools and runs off your exhaust. Basically I'm saying you'd HAVE to change the exhaust extractors in order to run boost.

EDIT: More likely than not the exhaust was modified too. When you're running boost you're adding more backflow pressure and therefore need to up your piping diameter more often than not. It's like having your entire turbo setup bottlenecked if you don't.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Aug 27, 2002 at 01:41 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

You're thinking turbo manifold 'ere Andrew.

Anthony's picture helps turbo n00bs: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ighlight=turbo Basically, turbo manifold comes off the block from the exhaust ports then feeds the exhaust gasses into the turbine.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 02:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

That's the one. Had a major brain fart while doing that, talking on the phone, and doing paperwork. Babysteps to the door, Andrew. Baby steps to the desk. Baby steps to uh...
Old Aug 27, 2002, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our turbo kits are exactly the same for the manuel and turbo. They aer designed to run on both model cars with no extra changes.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
Old Aug 30, 2002, 10:39 PM

headbang: I have a lancer with a T28 turbo which was automatic with
15 psi It ran 16.5 on the quarter on stock internals now the same car
without changing the internals just changing the turbo to a T3/T4 with a .50 ar ratio runs a 14.9 with 10 psi on stock internals and a gearbox we are hoping to go to 12s we bought forged rods and pistons and engine management.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

what ever happened with that RRM auto turbo? Did it go back to Mitsu for testing of some kind or does someone own it now?
Old Sep 1, 2002, 12:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RRM automatic went back to Mitsu. It will be a concept car. It may not even look like a Lancer when it is done. Will go to some auto show, Detroit maybe.

ROAD/RACE
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com
Old Oct 2, 2003, 11:05 AM

t3

i want to get a t3 turbo for my 2003 lancer oz but cannot find a manifold. do you know where i can get one?

Originally posted by SEAN 1971
headbang: I have a lancer with a T28 turbo which was automatic with
15 psi It ran 16.5 on the quarter on stock internals now the same car
without changing the internals just changing the turbo to a T3/T4 with a .50 ar ratio runs a 14.9 with 10 psi on stock internals and a gearbox we are hoping to go to 12s we bought forged rods and pistons and engine management.

Quick Reply: Automatic a turbo, and only 6 psi?