Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Is this true about turbo automatics?...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya if i hit the gas just right, the RPMS will red line and stay above 4200RPM its pretty cool, but it wastes a ton of gas im sure
Old Apr 23, 2004, 03:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by imapunkclaimer

Race shifting, if you dont let your foot off the gas at all you will not drop in rpms.

I find some automatic transmissions to shift slow for some reason and in my friends cars i catch it when its not evem in a gear and it just jolts. whats up with that?
Dropping in RPMs and being in gear are two totally different things. Automatics simply shift faster. They may FEEL like they're shifting slow, but likely what you're noticing is just the different gearing.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 03:58 PM

I've also heard (from auto Supra owners) that an automatic transmission can easily hold and build boost at the line by holding in the brake and revving the engine to desired RPMs... specifically holding it in the car's powerband.

And I always thought most drag cars were auto because the upshifts come to darn fast to be able to properly and consistently get it down... must be why all F1 machines and the like have that snazzy sequential shifter system
Old Apr 23, 2004, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek

Dropping in RPMs and being in gear are two totally different things. Automatics simply shift faster. They may FEEL like they're shifting slow, but likely what you're noticing is just the different gearing.
right right i stand corrected. sometimes i go on a rant and dont know what im saying and other times i just dont know what im talking about
Old Apr 30, 2004, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

wow this thread might have got RRM another buyer for a turbo kit.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

i know they got me
Old Apr 30, 2004, 06:26 PM

Thanks guys.

I drive a 03 AT Lancer OZ and I was contemplating on wether I should even bother with a Turbo upgrade or SuperCarger, and just go with buying an RSX Type-S but Im pretty sure Imma stick with the Supercharger and Turbo idea I knew that a turbo spools up faster in an AT but I am also told and have seen the WHP and TQ numbers and obviously the MT is higher than the AT. So Ive been skeptical about it.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

the auto shouldnt boost any faster than an manual, especially in a race situation. In daily driving the fact that the car is kept in a different place in the power band and the fact it does have 4 gears and not 5 MIGHT make a difference, but there is more power loss to account for. As far as shift times for the "sporty" or "manumatic" transmission, they actually had a LONG thread about this in the 3G eclipse webring because a company called level 10 performance has an upgrade kit for th Eclipse "sporty" and they gave EXACT or NEAR EXACT shift times through testing. And the time changes were significant. But there were no auto's shifting at .005. I am sorry but that is SO DAMN FAST. That is 5 one thousandsths of a second. NOPE! If I had the energy I would run that search again, bu tright noew I am tired and I am going to bed. Maybe tomorrow.
Old May 7, 2004, 10:29 AM

werd, so how do we upgrade our transmissions (automatics) to withstand the added power (Im looking for 300whp myself). Cryo-Treated parts? Tranny Cooler? Ect.
Old May 7, 2004, 10:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Upgrade your torque converter. I dont' think anyone's come close enough to running enough HP to know whether or not a transmission cooler would be worth it.

AT's do not spool a turbine faster. They do not allow it to spin down as much when the transmission shifts. There is a difference between the two.
Old May 7, 2004, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Hobie is right. the torque converters is one of the first things to upgrade.

Level 10 is a well respected company and what they do is they take your stock converter, cut it open and replace the bearings and such, change the fin angles in the stator and then furnice braize the fins on the rest of the converter.

this will increase your stall speed (so you will launch at a higher rpm) and increase stregnth.

With the increase in stall speed you will heat your fluid faster. this means you are more likely to get into the temperatures where tranny fluid breaks down. There are many sites that detail what happens but here is a quick overview:

Normal temps ATF lasts for 100,000 miles
10-15 over ATF lasts for 50,000
20-30 over ATF lasts for 25,000
40-50 over ATF lasts for 12,500

See the trend? A cooler is a good idea on a higher performance car. Call me cautious but a $40 dollar cooler seems alot cheaper than a failed tranny or more frequent fluid changes (for your fun fact file I have already changed my fluid once at 24,000 and it was totally smoked).
Old May 7, 2004, 11:02 AM
Account Disabled

that was a damn good read...one of the best in awhile...thanks guys
Old May 7, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

hey vince , where can u get a cooler? I too am automatic and going turbo within a month to month and 1/2 and just dont want anything to bust down when i first get it boosted.
Old May 25, 2004, 05:05 AM

you can get transmission coolers from summit racing, or other specialty auto parts stores for about 40-80 bucks depending...
Old May 25, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i got mine cheap but you can get em at pep boys, kragen etc...

Quick Reply: Is this true about turbo automatics?...