Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

so how far can i go without voiding the warranty

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2004, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so how far can i go without voiding the warranty

besides suspension

i have a 04 ES and i already looked through that warranty thread, its interesting...

so as long as i dont mod any internal lube'd parts its okay? i really want to keep the 10 year warranty, but i got a few bucks and thought i could make this little **** fly, it sure does handle good
Old May 23, 2004, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

some warranty mods vary from dealer to dealer .. your best bet may be to talk to the dealer (Service manager) and ask what mods you can do to the ride and keep the stock warranty. they may request that THEY install the mod to keep the warranty but if you really wanna keep it, that may be worth it.
Old May 23, 2004, 09:58 PM

Exhaust, Cold Air intake (or short ram intake).... if you're in Canada Mitsu said that if you put a turbo of any kind the car all warrenties are void. Well that's what the dealer said, and we all know how much they know... I think if you put a chip in, and even take it out they can plug the car in and see that there was something there and that's bad.
Old May 23, 2004, 10:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the 100,000,000,000,000th time.... NO MODS CAN VOID YOUR WARRANTY UNLESS THE DEALERSHIP CAN PROVE DIRECT CAUSE!!!!

Look up the magnussun-moss act (sp?) and read about your rights as a vehicle owner.

Read:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75226
Old May 23, 2004, 10:18 PM

i told u i read that.... but when you reach a certain level it gets a little obvious what causes what

i'll check with the service manager, good one, thanks
Old May 23, 2004, 10:23 PM
Account Disabled

Say I have an aftermarket intake and my transmission goes bad on me... the dealership can't simply say "uhp... u have an intake, that voids your warranty." They have to prove that the aftermarket part installed is the direct cause of the warranty claim. If I have a CAI and it was raining and my engine hydrolocked, then they can say ur CAI sucked up some water and f*cked up ur engine... hand over the big bux." Just keep your **** (aftermarket mods) in good maintenance and dont buy cheapo non-named crap that will f*ck ur engine 5 ways from sunday.
Old May 24, 2004, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iamkar33m
Say I have an aftermarket intake and my transmission goes bad on me... the dealership can't simply say "uhp... u have an intake, that voids your warranty." They have to prove that the aftermarket part installed is the direct cause of the warranty claim.
the transmission went because of the additional power you created by adding the CAI. warranty claim dismissed.

ANY mods you do to the car will void anything to do with that mod. anything to enhance performance of the engine will affect anything on the driveline - you're increasing the forces it has to handle.

use non OEM pads and you'll avoid the warranty on the rotors, capiliers, ABS etc etc.

The vehicle is warrantied as it comes from the showroom floor. if you redesign/reengineer it, you're taking the risk.

(this said some dealers are fine with replacing stuff anyway, although with mitsu out of money they'll be under pressure to deny more and more warranty claims)
Old May 24, 2004, 12:26 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SirK
the transmission went because of the additional power you created by adding the CAI. warranty claim dismissed.

ANY mods you do to the car will void anything to do with that mod. anything to enhance performance of the engine will affect anything on the driveline - you're increasing the forces it has to handle.

use non OEM pads and you'll avoid the warranty on the rotors, capiliers, ABS etc etc.

The vehicle is warrantied as it comes from the showroom floor. if you redesign/reengineer it, you're taking the risk.

(this said some dealers are fine with replacing stuff anyway, although with mitsu out of money they'll be under pressure to deny more and more warranty claims)
Wow, how ignorant are you... that extreme extrapolation of the CAI creating more power damaging the drivetrain is just PURE bull****. What does tne CAI add? no more than 2-3 HP at the most? Again we are all protected by the magnussun-moss act which REQUIRES the dealer to (in writing) deny the warranty and state a conclusion as to how the aftermarket part denied your warranty service. And with proper legal representation you can fight it pretty good... or have a law office send mitsu service dept a letter threatening to sue. That will set em straight.
Old May 24, 2004, 12:52 AM
Account Disabled

the guys in australia...so i dont think he know what hte magmuson-moss act is......
Old May 24, 2004, 02:57 AM
Evolving Member

I've read it. a dealer needs to point out how the aftermarket part caused the problem. increase of power over stock = great reason.
You cant suggest increasing the performance of an engine, and then something in the transmission breaking arnt related. whether its a 5hp or 50hp increase the fact is you modified the engines output, and didnt modify the other pieces of the puzzle to suit. 'sorry mr dealer, but you need to buy me a new clutch cause it broke when i stuck 300hp through it, even though its only rated at 120hp' good luck

more examples
- lets get lowered springs. now the shockies are ****ed. thats not mitsu's fault, its yours.
- new pads!. now the discs are warped from the heat.
- new frontbar. now the engine overheats because of lack of airflow (extreme example, but still possible)

if i can argue these points in a few minutes, imagine what mitsu can do with a team of people. if you modify your car in anyway mitsu has the right under to deny your claim if they can show your mod caused it. simple.
Old May 24, 2004, 06:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah but you also need to reasearch the car parts... the Tranny has been used bone stock in mitsu cars which are rated at 160 and even 220hp. Thus a lancer pushing 120hp and maybe 140-150hp when modded(NA) is not going to damage the tranny. Improper shifting and grinding of gears can do it but thats the syncro's more than anything and they can prove that out. Fact is the lancer's motor, tranny, head, etc... have been around so just do your research on their developments and build your facts/case. I've taken mine to the dealer with the turbo on and had the valve lash adjusters changed under warranty. They tried to fight me on it but i proved to them that they could take it by showing a dyno and then showing them that the V-6 eclipse part numbers were the same. They did the work. You just need to back yourself and be just as tough as they are on the subject. Thats all!
Old May 24, 2004, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by SirK
The vehicle is warrantied as it comes from the showroom floor.
Incorrect. The vehicle is warrantied as it comes from the factory, not the showroom floor.
Old May 24, 2004, 03:14 PM

i just got off the phone and he said the same thing. its under warranty as long as the upgrade isnt the direct cause of the problem.

a warranty can go bad without upgrades, like if you dont change your oil and the motor goes bad, bad shifting and tranny goes bad (i saw somebody say that one), just examples

he said "we dont usually warranty the turbo cars"

well that gives me a little slack, i'll see what i can do to this lancer

i work in a law firm in downtown dallas, so i have a selection of about 35 attorneys to choose from
Old May 29, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

i say if youre that worried about your warranty you shouldnt mod at all and be a nice ***** driver on the right hand side of the highway, but if youre a performance guy, mod ur car. anyway i bought my car with 3k miles of warranty left on it. so i bought 5yrs/50000mi more for just 700 bucks. all im really worried about is the transmission, nothing else. plus my dealer (service manager) is a tuner guy with a tricked out miata so i have no worries