Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

2004 Lancer OZ Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just went and had my intercooler pipes flared so they won't blow off anymore. As I was driving home a couple of nights ago one of my hoses popped off. It scared the **** outta me! Since that's the third time that's happened I decided to upgrade couplers and get my pipes flared on the ends.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

what PSI are you running and how is the setup working
Old Mar 4, 2005, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I'm running 5psi and now that I've got the digital fmu working it's running great!
Old Mar 5, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Megadeth2118
Right now I'm running about 5 psi.

I'm not sure when I'm gonna dyno it, but it should be sometime very soon. I'm gonna have them look at it with their wideband and tune it for me.
Don't dyno at 5 psi. It's not really cost effective. You have to make an educated guess on your HP.

RRM tuned TC setup tends to run 13-15 HP per 1 PSI (after crunching #'s for 4 RRM-based cars).

Joe smoe and ill tuners tends to get 8-11 HP per 1 PSI. This goes to stocker TC from the factory as well. These are very conservative figures basing off T25 or T28.

Just tack it to your flywheel HP figure.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

I just did an air leak test and fixed two air leaks. One was coming out of the smaller nipple on the Greddy Type-S and the other was a leaky coupler. I pressurized the system again and at about 3-5 psi I can hear air leaking from what sounds like inside of the intake manifold. Does anyone have any idea what that could be? It doesn't seem to be any of the vacuum lines or anything, it sounds like it's INSIDE the intake manny.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Megadeth2118
at about 3-5 psi I can hear air leaking from what sounds like inside of the intake manifold. Does anyone have any idea what that could be? It doesn't seem to be any of the vacuum lines or anything, it sounds like it's INSIDE the intake manny.
If you have eliminated all or most of the vac lines from leaking, the sound of air rushing through the intake mani is pretty much normal. I had psi tested my talon at 40 psi, and the sound was really loud, besides using someone's else leaking BOV.

Other possible leaks: TPS (grommet has to be bad), between the TB and IM (bad gasket seal), emission vac lines on the bottom side of the intake mani, or the clamps on the coupler.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

That makes me feel much better

Thanks for the info Bahamut.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

man,the suspense is killing me. HURRY UP, LOL j/k. i wanna see how this all turns out for you. good luck and keep it up, you seem to be really close to getting it done. (mechanically) i hope the ecu tuning goes a lot easier.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

I played with the bov tonight and got it to whistle now.

Switched vacuum sources and now my boost gauge reads correctly and my greddy type-s now whistles. Hehehehe
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Well I'm sorry to say that I've taken the turbo off my Lancer and will be selling the turbo and all the parts. I actually had it working correctly, but I just didn't trust it. I have to use my car to drive to Atlanta once a week which is about 2 hours away, so I need a reliable car to get me there and back. I also need the money to pay off some bills because I'll be getting a house in a couple of months.

I'll be posting it up in the F/S section as soon as I can take some pics of everything.

Thanks for all the help guys! If anyone needs help with turboing their 04-05 Lancer hit me up!
Travis
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

so all that work for nothing....
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

for nothing??? I hope your kidding. First off, he's the first person to my knowledge that went ahead and did the whole thing, by himself, starting with nothing, and sourcing all the parts for himself. He did write ups and kept everyone updated as to what he was doing, how things were going, and what issues he was having. He went through a lot of **** to get this thing running. Not only did he learn alot from doing this, he taught a lot of people. Everyone constantly asks about custom turbo setups so they dont' have to drop money on a kit and he went ahead and made a fully custom kit, so now people can stop asking about them and see what he had to go through to get it to work. Saying all that work was for nothing is a completely ignorant statement.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Jesus, I just read 16 pages of suspense thinking there was some amazing outcome at the end... just to hear that you will be selling it! Oh well, I'm sure you've learned a lot from the project. Have any future plans after buying the house and what not?
Old Apr 4, 2005, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

So how much are you looking to get for the kit?
Old Apr 4, 2005, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Hotshot940 is right, 8 months ago I knew absolutley nothing about cars and when I finished this kit and had it running smooth, I knew a lot more about import cars than some mechanics. I see no part of this project as being for nothing. This has helped me understand the inner workings of how every aspect of the car works. I think this project was an extremely helpful learning experience and I hope it helped out some of you as well.

I plan on buying a used factory turbo car later on, maybe a Talon or something.

I just couldn't stand the thought of blowing the engine in an $18,000 brand new car. So I had to make a very tough decision. I built the kit and made it run correctly, mission accomplished.

As far as the kit goes I will probably just end up parting it out.

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer OZ Turbo Project