Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

condensation in exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2002, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
condensation in exhaust??

Hey,
When I just put my new 300cc injectors in and FRP I noticed a white smoke coming out of my exhaust with a lot of water build up in the exhaust. I heard that when you have little backpressure it makes a lot of condensation and since i have no cats i'm guessing this is normal. and the smoke is the water burning off that bulds up. also it stopped after a little while. so...is it normal?
Old Oct 10, 2002, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

a side note...the smoke could also be because it is a little cold out, but i don't think enough to make the vapor......still H2O spittin out tho.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it only in the mornings or in the cold evenings? I mean, I live out here in relatively temperate CA and if it's cold, just like everywhere else, I'll have the vapor jettin' out of the pipe until the car warms up.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

White smoke???? it could be just water. Its been pretty cold the past couple days in NY so im guessing jersy is the same. is it really thick or very thin. If its thin i should just be evaporation caused when your exhaust gets warmed up.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 08:10 AM
In Timeout

the water problem could also be because of watered down gas if that was my car i would pay a little more to have decent gas that doesnt flood my engine
Old Oct 10, 2002, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

is there any fumes that go along with it?
Old Oct 10, 2002, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i'm thinking its cuz of the cold...its a light smoke nothing thick and smells like a lawn mower cuz of no cats (parents arn't tooo happy cuz they know i'm going to fail emissions, nothing money can't take care of tho). i'm also guessing its cuz i'm adding a lot more fueland a lot more air. more fuel and air burning is going to make more exhaust gasses

Last edited by zlancer; Oct 10, 2002 at 09:11 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 07:10 AM

Smoke colors

Theres a chart online I forgot the link, but I remember the most common colors of smoke.

Blue - Burning Oil
White Billowy - Burning Antifreeze
White Steam - Condensation in exhaust system
Black Smoke - A rich condition

Originally posted by zlancer
yeah i'm thinking its cuz of the cold...its a light smoke nothing thick and smells like a lawn mower cuz of no cats (parents arn't tooo happy cuz they know i'm going to fail emissions, nothing money can't take care of tho). i'm also guessing its cuz i'm adding a lot more fueland a lot more air. more fuel and air burning is going to make more exhaust gasses
Old Oct 25, 2002, 04:39 PM
In Timeout

Re: Smoke colors

Originally posted by [s3]
Theres a chart online I forgot the link, but I remember the most common colors of smoke.

Blue - Burning Oil
White Billowy - Burning Antifreeze
White Steam - Condensation in exhaust system
Black Smoke - A rich condition

SMOKE COLOR AND ITS CAUSES

BLACK SMOKE - Restricted air flow ( dirty / obstructed air filter; plugged exhaust; restrictions in exhaust system; defective turbo / supercharger); Overload; Improper injection (poor atomization, injector dribble, late injection)

BLUE SMOKE - Worn or stuck piston rings; worn valve guides and stems; high crankcase pressure; worn / supercharger oil seals.

WHITE SMOKE - Misfiring cylinders; water in fuel; air in fuel; water in cylinders (blown head gasket, cracked head or liner); lack of compression.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 25, 2002, 07:45 PM

Check to see if their is any antifreeze building up around your spark plugs. If this is the case that is bad Then I would bring it in and get it fixed quickly!