Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Alarm Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm Recommendation?

What's a good recommendation on a car alarm? My buddy who does installs is recommending the Valet 554r which I am contemplating. The two way pager is a must, what's the point of an alarm going off if you don't know about it?

If everyone recommends the Valet 554r, I see it priced anywhere from 220ish to 400ish. I found this on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Would this be any different then the 400 dollar one? I wouldn't think so but why so cheap?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:20 PM

The valet 554r is the one that I have in my vehicle. If you plan on putting a turbo timer on your car you are still going to have to wait in the range of your 2 way device to engage the alarm, this is because in order for the alarm to arm on its own a door needs to open and close after the turbo timer shuts off the car (still better than waiting in the car). Also if you plan on using your remote start feature you will have to unplug your clutch's cable (the only switch located on the clutch pedal) although a good way to bypass your clutch, this also disables features that mitsu has placed in the ECU which controls the fuel system for better shifting so I don’t use remote start. I can’t find the post but you can search to see exactly what I am talking about.

The alarm will let your remote start your car on a set timer or manually, view the temp. inside your car (for those cold winter days), allows you to arm your alarm while driving when driving in areas that need increased security i.e. Compton LA, Bronx NY, and even Liberty City area of Miami, FL (this works by shutting off your car and disabling your starter when a car door is opened while alarm activated), features a panic alarm (good for finding you car in a big parking lot) and other features that I don’t regularly use.

Hope this helps…
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Compustar. no question, pager, alarm, starter, turbo timer, valet mode, aux outputs, GREAT units. I had one in my civic before it got totaled. getting on in the lancer ASACP
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Airwolf. has all the features of the Compustar listed above, but a little cheaper! (quality is awesome, haven't had anything but good luck with it).
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Alain: Is that a recommendation for the Vallet 554R?

To the others: Could you be a little more descriptive with model numbers maybe?

Really do appreciate the input fellas.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by alainusmc
The valet 554r is the one that I have in my vehicle. If you plan on putting a turbo timer on your car you are still going to have to wait in the range of your 2 way device to engage the alarm, this is because in order for the alarm to arm on its own a door needs to open and close after the turbo timer shuts off the car (still better than waiting in the car)...
Don't they have alarms out there that auto engage the alarm, after so many seconds have passed after you took the key out? That way it can work with turbo timers. I'm also in the market for a good alarm. Some people have raved about the Viper 650VX, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.