Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

stock sound system specs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2002, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bobaab
so if i put in my Kenwood with 45 watts going through the 4 speakers, the stock speakers will explode. Right?

so all in all, if u're upgradin, get new head unit and speakers. not one or the other.

my actual question was the specs, but oh well, i dont care anymore
thanks everyone!
-Bob
if you put a new head unit in, you will most likely NOT blow the stock speakers. too much power is seldom the problem, it is clipping that causes speakers to blow. soon (hopefully) i'll be putting my stereo in. i'm upgrading the front speakers (powered by an amp), adding a sub, and keeping stock head unit and rear speakers. i'll let everyone know how it sounds when it's done. (i know everyone has doubts about this, but i am confident that it will sound very good. rear speakers are useless in my opinion so i'm not changing them, and i'm keeping the stock head unit for many reasons.)
Old Dec 28, 2002, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

i disagree there i have infinity kappa componets now in front and when i turn it up i can hear the rears distort bad over my 2 subs and the speakers i think the rears are just as valuable as the front
Old Dec 28, 2002, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

well...that doesn't make sense to me. because with the stock system, when i turn it up i hear no distortion. so if i keep the stock head unit and rear speakers, why would they distort? did you upgrade your headunit? maybe that is pushing the rears too much. also, why not put the balance more in front? there's no reason to hear music coming behind you.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

cup, that's a good idea too. and if that doesn't sound good enough, get an equalizer in the cubby hole the stock headunit doesn't have enough tone control in my taste..although it does pump pretty good bass. and equalizer would "make it more rock'n"
-Bob
Old Dec 28, 2002, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

yes, maybe when i get some more money i'll add an eq, which i have wanted. i just have to find a new place then to put my cell phone while i drive
Old Dec 28, 2002, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

cup..holder?
-Bob
Old Dec 28, 2002, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

ok, but then where do i put my snapple? the cubby hole fits my cell so nice, it just lies there with the ear piece connected, and when it rings all i gotta do is reach in and push a button. and to call all i gotta do is push the side voice dial and speak i guess i'll sacrifice if i get an EQ.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

u dont drink two snapples at once..or drive with another person who drinks snapple along with u right? u can use one for snapple and the other for your phone
Old Dec 28, 2002, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

in a surron sound enviorment would u have 2 speakers or 4 for great sound? i dont know about u but i choose 4 and when u have a lot of bass coming from rear it sounds better 2 add some vocals with it
Old Dec 28, 2002, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

and yes i do have a new head unit it rms at 22 watts so shouldnt push em 2 much maybee im not that deaf yet so i can still hear my rears maybe im just more picky but speakers require all 4 to make me happy plus if i add a dvd player later on itl be nice 2 have surrong sound with nice *** bass
Old Dec 28, 2002, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ryancb
in a surron sound enviorment would u have 2 speakers or 4 for great sound? i dont know about u but i choose 4 and when u have a lot of bass coming from rear it sounds better 2 add some vocals with it
surround sound yes. stereo sound, no. when you go to a concert, is there sound coming from behind you (besides any echo or reflected sound waves, which happens in a car too)? stereo sound should sound like it is coming from center stage. if you are watching a dvd with 5.1 channels, fine, you want rear speakers that provide fill and environmental sounds. but rear speakers in a stereo setup is useless. they are put there as convenience for rear passengers. all you need for a great sounding system is speakers up front with good imaging and a subwoofer (which provides bass, which is omnidirectional, therefor it doesn't matter where it is.)

i'm putting components up front. the tweeter will provide clear high frequencies, the 6.5" will give most of the vocals and midrange, and the sub in the trunk will provide bass. the front speakers are only going to drown out the rear speakers anyway.

if you have tons of money, fine, getting rear speakers won't make your stereo sound bad. my point is they are not needed.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

trust me once u get your components in and subs and all and tuned good u will notice it distorting if u get a aftermarket deck the stock one cant push em even 1/10th they should be pushed at i havnt goten around but i have a lil 300watt amp laying around that im gonna use that 2 power those and when i get more money in like another lifetime get another matching set for rear also if u planing on doing what profile says with sub and components its gonna sound worse in my opnnion i did that with my amp in my old car and it masicvly depowers the subs rms

Last edited by ryancb; Dec 28, 2002 at 07:19 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

oh yeah, and if you add a dvd player in the future, and you want true dolby digital, 4 speakers isn't enough, you need a center channel for dialogue. but even still, in true 5.1 format, the rear speakers provide little more than environment effects. the front speakers do much more of the sound, which makes sense since you are watching something in front of you so you want to make it sound like it is right in front of you.

and bass shouldn't really sound like it is coming from behind you. bass is omnidirectional. it should be low, and deep, and all around. that's why it doesn't matter where you put a sub. but it is good engineering to put it on the floor, next to a wall, which will make it louder since it can resonate. if your "bass" sounds like it is coming from behind you, than you should check your crossovers to make sure you aren't putting mid-bass frequencies (which can bleed over into voice range) to your sub.

also, your rear speakers may be distorting if the signal you are sending them is clipping. if your headunit is pushing maximum wattage, it may be clipping the signal causing your speakers to be distorted. it is better to give speakers too much power but clean than just enough but clipped.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

also if u planing on doing what profile says with sub and components its gonna sound worse in my opnnion i did that with my amp in my old car and it masicvly depowers the subs rms
Old Dec 28, 2002, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ryancb
trust me once u get your components in and subs and all and tuned good u will notice it distorting if u get a aftermarket deck the stock one cant push em even 1/10th they should be pushed at i havnt goten around but i have a lil 300watt amp laying around that im gonna use that 2 power those and when i get more money in like another lifetime get another matching set for rear
there's no reason that i would hear any distortion. the rear speakers will be powered by the stock head unit (which hasn't distorted them thus far....). the front speakers will be powered by an amp, probably 55wx2 at 4ohm. they can handle up to 130w i believe. the sub is getting 180w.

the front speakers will overpower the rears. i am very confident that this system will sound excellent. i plan to install after the new year, probably next thursday or friday.

Quick Reply: stock sound system specs?