Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Help on stereo for my evo. What's a good setup?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2003, 04:24 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help on stereo for my evo. What's a good setup?

I'm thinking about running.

4 Infinity Kappa speakers

Kenwood KDC-X959

2 of something else that fits.

Anybody here have good recommendations? I'm interested in clearity and high quality bass .

I'm a stero newbie and need help.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boston acoustics, mb quarts, or infinity kappa perfects. and definitely power them with an amp, something efficient. phoenix gold is good. add a sub/amp for bass, if you don't want to be overpowered get something like a 10" sub and power it with 200-300 watts.

all depends on what you want to spend and how much work you're willing to put in your car.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 06:51 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking something under a grand. Do you think the internal amps is adequate? THis radio i've found is has 3 sets of 4.5 volt, gold plated preamp output. Or do you think still think it might overheat?

Would i go with 10 or 8 guage?

thanks in advance

I just want some bare able music. I'm guessing the stock setup will sound like crap.

Last edited by gtr; Jan 26, 2003 at 06:57 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

infinity kappa is okay....but i jus got da pioneer tsa 1767...220 watts 3way speakers....dey blow away da kappaz...2nd find a head unit with pre-amp outputs...so u can set up da sounds for ur car....

8 gauge!!!!! from da battery to da amp in da trunk...

and use monster cables
Old Jan 27, 2003, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

hahahaha yeah right
Old Jan 27, 2003, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr
Thinking something under a grand. Do you think the internal amps is adequate? THis radio i've found is has 3 sets of 4.5 volt, gold plated preamp output. Or do you think still think it might overheat?

Would i go with 10 or 8 guage?

thanks in advance

I just want some bare able music. I'm guessing the stock setup will sound like crap.
you can get a really good system for a grand. 4.5volt preamp outs are VERY good.

what do you mean internal amp? you mean headunit? go with an amp that can adequately power your speakers. the 4.5volt pre-outs will make the amp run very efficiently.

power wire depends on how many watts your amp is. if you are only getting 1 amp, <200watts, 10 gauge should be fine. do a search for this kinda stuff, like installing amps on google, you should find some charts as to gauge of wire, amps for fuses, etc.

the stock system is actually pretty decent. if you only listen to music at moderate volumes and don't care too much about bass, it may be fine. if you want real clear, sharp music, replace your speakers, get a new headunit with at least 2volt preamp outs, and give everything adequate power from an external amp. add another amp and sub for bass. do some google searches and read up on this kinda stuff, you can learn a lot.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 03:23 AM

that kenwood 959 is nice, very nice. but there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
1. that 4.5 volt pre outs... those only produce 4.5 volts if youre running 14.4 volts from your alt to you battery, which unless you get your alt modified, youre only running at just above 12 volts. so that deck is actually only running about 3.5 volts to your amp. which isnt bad.
2.you want clean, efficient bass right. personally id suggest a pair or alpine type r 10's or kicker comp vr's, or some ppi's. all which are with in your price range
3.highs! mb quarts, i agree with cupOZnj. bostons are great too. focals are nice, cdt, crystal. all are very nice and for their low levels you wont spend that much.
4.i always suggest running minimum 4 guage batt and ground wire. and if youre planning on having 2 amps definetely pick up a distribution block. monster wire is good wire. there's alot of nice wiring companies out there.
i hope this helped. any other info you need don't hesitate to ask. im a stereo junkie. and if i dont know the answer i can get the answer.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 04:16 AM

Anyone see any interior cabin noise figures for the Evo? I mean, are we gonna need crazy wattage (more than a head unit) just to hear our music over the wind/engine/tire noise?

I don't think I'm going to plan on up-rating the stock stereo if there is too much noise even for great equipment to sound acceptable while driving.