Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Looking for a good wired FM modulator

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2005, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a good wired FM modulator

So I now have a job where I have to drive 40 or so miles each way to work. Needless to say bringing CD's along isn't cutting it.... I'm looking for recommendations on a good wired FM Modulator to hook up my mp3 player (not an iPod) to my stock headunit in my Evo (I know this is a US lancer forum, but there's no audio forum for Evo's, and who cares, it's not car specific really) I've read some good reviews on the Audiovox FM100A (I think that's the model number) but I'd rather hear it from people, not just on a web site. I'm looking not to spend much $$$ so I don't want to replace my headunit with one that has a 1/8" input (Although that would be ideal) Also the wireless ones seem to suck, I've tried two diff. ones, Belkin Tunecast II and some generic brand and they were both horrible. Thanks very much.... Josh ('03 Silver Evo)
Old Jun 9, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man all of em suck to me no offense. You cant get the RCA AUX cables?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

if ur using the stock hu u cant use rca's. I believe that there is a plug for a cd changer on the back of the stock hu, if ur good u could wire that. I personally hate fm modulators just because of the quality of sound. My recommendation would be sirius or xm radio. I drive about 50 miles to and from work so I know how ur feelin. I recently installed the sirius on mine and I love it, I will never listen to reg. radio again.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

there is no such thing as a quality FM modulator, period.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

yeah fm modulators are not good. Even if you don't care that much about sound quality they still sound bad. With mp3's being digital you should definitly upgrade the stock head unit for one that has an aux input. You will be much happier going that route.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 07:32 AM

Cool thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I'll try and get a head unit with a 1/8" input on it. Any recommendations? I don't need anything crazy, just a single CD and the 1/8" input. In my old 91 GSX I had a decent unit, don't remember the brand, either maybe JVC or Pioneer, sounded good, and the 1/8" input was cool. Of course I should have kept that stereo when I sold the car, oh well. that's life!