Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Instructions for Remote Start Safety Switch on a Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2003, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instructions for Remote Start Safety Switch on a Manual Transmission

All

Please follow the instructions fully and ask any questions before installing a remote start on a manual tranny car. It is very important to do so because starting your car in gear is very dangerous to your car and especially people that may be in front of it.....

Response to Thwack's PM......

Thwack......

Sure thing man, just got a camera too, may be able to take pics if I can get my car apart. My instructions should be good enough though.

Ok get to a hardware store, home depot....Whatever. Buy a spring, preferably a tight wound spring. Tight wound, so that when you bend it there are minimal gaps in the metal. The length is important also because you want it to be very close to the shift knob when it is a complete circle. There are standard sizes that should work fine. I think the one I bought was 2" long. Buy a couple so you don't have to make a trip back, they are only .30 cents each.

Get a metal coathanger, unpainted, and cut a 3" piece. This could be done buy bending it back and forth with pliers.... Bend a 90 degree angle at one end so that there is 1/2 after the bend. At the other end bend a circle small enough to serve as a mounting hole for a screw.

Get a good 22 or 20 gague wire srcap. Strip one end and wrap it around the 1/2" side. Bend the spring into a circle. Insert the 1/2" end of the coathanger

Solder the spring (bent in circle) and wire to the 1/2" side of the coathanger. Make sure you heat up the coathanger enough so that the solder coats a part of the spring and the wire attatched to it, making a good joint to the hangeer. Do not get much solder on the spring making it hard because the whole point of the spring is to flex when the car is in gear.....

Now that you have the spring and wire soldered to the coathanger, it is time to mount it. Size it up well and screw into the plastic with a very short screw. Do not penetrate the plastic with a long screw or you may come into contact with the shift mechanism, not a good thing. Used a 1/2" screw that worked fine.

Find a good ground (chassis) and ground the shift knob. I grounded the nut that is on the left side of the shift knob. There are two, the rear one that has a fork works well.

Now connect the wire coming from the "safety switch" to your remote start "neutural" switch that you install to the E-brake. I use this one so I don't use a channel dedicated to the hood or door pin. Easier to trouble shoot in the long run.

Time to test. Have your foot on the brake, unless you are confident or in a parking lot, and remote start the car. Have the shifter in neutural and the E-brake up. The car should start. While the car is running (remote start, no key in ignition) drop the E-brake. The car should go off. If it doesn't, fix the wiring to the E-brake. If it does your good.

Remote start it again, neutural and E-brake up. When the car starts, move the shifter to the left (repeat later right) as if you were moving to go to first or second. Do not put it in gear! The car should die, the same way as it did when you dropped the E-brake. If it doesn't check your ground and safety switch.

There you have it. Very easy switch that will save your memory, car, and someone's life. You will never live down the fact of starting your car and having it hit something/someone for a hour of time and $1.50 in parts.

The picture stinks but should give you a "visual" of what I described. I just got a camera on Tuesday and will try to post pic's ASAP.

Yannotmi
Attached Thumbnails Instructions for Remote Start Safety Switch on a Manual Transmission-safety-switch.jpg  
Old Mar 6, 2003, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks a lot, just printed it out and gonna read it later, (cant stay on internet too long at work).. I'll let you know if I have any other issues or questions.

Old Mar 6, 2003, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

ok, so i read it, re-read it, and studied it. now, I'm assuming that the spring should not be contacting the shifter only when it's in neutral, and if it does, then it will send the ground to the remote start, and shut it off. makes sense.. but do you have this mounted under the plastic, and under the shift boot..I assume it would look kinda ghetto on top of it. And I assume you want the shaft of the shifter inside the spring coil, not the shift knob, th like the description, the shift knob is plastic and wouldnt carry ground. if I am incorrect in asuming all this, let me know, and some pictures of the setup would be appreciated..

as a secondary question , Im looking at the viper 2-way and the hornet 2-way. any preference on the 2?? I'm leaning towards the hornet, but I hear the viper is better.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

EDITS: The switch should only be contacting the shifter when in neutural. Shift knob = shifter/shift rod. Sorry

Definitely mount under the panel that hides the hardware. Outside would look very ghetto.....

Get this one, I have it and am very pleased. Range and LCD are best around right now.

Viper Responder
Old Mar 6, 2003, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

ok, i feel really dense, but i think I'm gonna need a picture, b/c i still dont have a clear picture, especially now that you said the the spring should only contact the shifter in neutral.. Where does the spring sit in relation to the shifter when in neutral? I assume right behind it, but then if you were to leave the car in 4th gear (who knows why), it would still try to start the car (though in 4th gear it wouldnt go anywhere) I guess I'll need to wait to see pictures to get the clear picture.. sorry for being such a pain in the *** w/ this.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

I can't take pics for a while so listen good.....

The spring is in a circle..... The shifter/shift rod is metal, right? You have to mount the switch (some bending, manipulation required) so that the spring goes around the shaft.

Think of the games at amusement parks that have a twisted metal rod and you have a pen looking tool with a ring at the end. You have to get the ring to the bottom without hitting the twisted rod. If you hit the rod, a light or siren goes off.....

Same principal. If the car is in Neutual the spring is around it, not touching at all. If you are in gear, the shifter/shift rod will come into contact with the spring, grounding it out, disabling the remote start.

That is the reason why you are using a spring. No ordinary switch (toggle, button....) can be manipulated in multiple directions...... The spring "gives" when you put the car through it's gears and maintains its shape......

I am going away for a week and a half..... Working in Rio (Brazil) and heading to Orlando FL for the Spring Break car show. I will post pics (of the switch, some cars and CRAZY BRAZILLIAN HONEYS.....) when I get back.

If you want and idea of what Rio is like, watch the Snoop Dog "Beautiful" video on launch.com........

I hate being me...............
Old Mar 8, 2003, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

ok, I got it now.. I had it before beut then you said in your edit thet the switch should only be contacting the shifter when in neutral, when in actuality, it should only touch the spring when out of neutral. Got it straight now.. thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Its ok. I am an idiot lately. I am forgetting everything.......
Old Aug 4, 2003, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Anybody ever get pics? I'm thinking of getting my alarm installed this weekend but without this switch thing the timer mode would be useless... I've been reading these over and over, but I don't really get it?

All of this goes underneath the console, correct? Which would require me to take apart my console and ebrake covers etc... if someone could post pics I'd greatly appreciate it - I know a couple of others on the forum are looking into doing this too. Thanks so much!