Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Clarion + Audiobahn issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarion + Audiobahn issue

I understand some of you are going to be like SEARCH! but really this is unique to this setup and wanna help out guys that choose this particular setup for their lancer.

here's the issue:

Clarion DXZ655MP head unit
Audiobahn ABC600T compnents Front
AudioBahn ACS2063N Full range Rear

When I turn the speakers up to say 18-20 the speakers start cutting out full fade for all 4 speakers. When i move the Fade up to just the fronts, They sound fine at 18-20. When i move the Fade to just rear they sound fine at 18-20. so what the hell am i missing here? am i not getting enough Juice from the clarion?

thoughts Ideas?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phantom0
I understand some of you are going to be like SEARCH! but really this is unique to this setup and wanna help out guys that choose this particular setup for their lancer.

here's the issue:

Clarion DXZ655MP head unit
Audiobahn ABC600T compnents Front
AudioBahn ACS2063N Full range Rear

When I turn the speakers up to say 18-20 the speakers start cutting out full fade for all 4 speakers. When i move the Fade up to just the fronts, They sound fine at 18-20. When i move the Fade to just rear they sound fine at 18-20. so what the hell am i missing here? am i not getting enough Juice from the clarion?

thoughts Ideas?
It works when running 2 speakers but it doesn't when you run all 4? All I can think of is Ohm issue. If your headunit can only supply 4 Ohms and you're trying to take out 2 it won't work. No amps in your setup?

According to their respective websites:

Your HU's:
Detailed Specifications:
TUNER SECTION
Frequency Bands
FM: (MHz) 0.2 MHz steps: 87.9 to 107.9
AM: (kHz) 10 kHz steps: 530 to 1,710
CD SECTION
Wow/Flutter (WRMS): Below measurable limits
S/N Ratio (dB): 100
Frequency Response (Hz): 5 to 20,000
Dynamic Range (dB): 95
Harmonic Distortion (%):0.01
AUDIO SECTION
Power Output (DIN45324, +B = 14.4 V): 25W x 4
Maximum Power Output: 53W x 4
GENERAL
Power Consumption: less than 15A
Speaker Impedance:4 (4 to 8 allowable)

Your ABC600T are 4 Ohm
Your ACS2063N are 4 ohm

Last edited by blaze_125; Aug 31, 2005 at 11:48 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

If you're running component systems with HU power, bad combo... They need more power than that HU can provide. Certain HU's, maybe yours, will bridge power when just 2 channels are used insted of all 4. That might be why it will "work" when faded to 2 -ch.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

You need more power for your Componets...HU ain't gonna do do it. Maybe if your speakers were stockers, but not AM speakers.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

So do i need an AMP? I can get one if i need it.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NO. The problem does not lie in the underpowered speakers. Being that you have components, you can run them off of the headunit with limited power. Or you could upgrade to an amp to power the speakers which would be the optimal plan.

Any headunit will run a pair of components. Its simply the mater of how well they will perform. If you dont have anough power for the speakers you will develop distortion at higher volumes. With an amp you will gain clarity and volume, as long as your amp is tuned correctly.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your description of the problem is pretty vague. It could be a wiring issue with the speakers but it could also be several other problems. Vague explanation=vague diagnosis
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

no it is what it is. how much more detail you need? 4 speakers = distortion at high volumes
2 speakers = fine at high volumes. that is pretty much cut and dry. I don't have a sub, so the amp would be specifically for the whole sound stage. with room to grow later.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Look for a decent 5-ch amp to run the full range, then when you get a sub you're set with the extra ch.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

make sure all the positive and negatives are hooked up correctly. i forget what the scientific term is. but it can totally screw your system up. this might not be the case at all, but just go back and double check everything. had two subs in my trunk of my old car and the pos and neg were reversed. weirdest thing. when i played stuff loud it sounded like absolute ACE. when i faded to the right or left the volume and clarity increase ten-fold... go double check everything

and your head-unit will be fine to power those speaker, but as said before, it'll sound better and such if you get an amp. I've got a 5-channel for sale if intetested.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ovenmit331
make sure all the positive and negatives are hooked up correctly. i forget what the scientific term is. but it can totally screw your system up.
Polarity! That is the term...basicly it will take the speakers out of phase! So when the song would hit...the subs would go the opposite way! I am the one that sold him the setup...it is looking like a 4 channel amp is going to be the next step! Those speakers are power hungry!

Later!
Old Sep 1, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

polarity is a good term but not the one i was thinking of... there's a term for two sound frequencies canceling each other out because they are opposites, just can't remember it...
Old Sep 1, 2005, 03:05 PM

A) Superposition of Sound Waves: the most basic aspect of sound combination is the principle of linear addition of two or more sound waves, a principle which holds in most actual cases. However, since sound waves are oscillations, containing what might be thought of as positive and negative parts, simple addition can result in reinforcement (+ with +, - with -) or cancellation (+ with -). Three results of this process can be observed: spatial cancellation or "dead spots", frequency cancellation or "phasing", and cancellation between waves of nearly identical frequency, resulting in "beats".
In the simplest case, two signals that are 180° out of PHASE will cancel. In environmental propagation, the points of cancellation are sometimes fixed and thus are experienced as dead spots, although this may also be caused by poor DIFFUSION. A specialized case of cancellation occurs with two sounds of similar frequency and is experienced as BEATS.
Quoted from: http://www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/handb...und_sound.html

All I could think of...I have my sound engineering books some where!

Later!
Old Sep 1, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, somethin like that, if i think of the exact terminology later i'll throw it up here....
Old Sep 7, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

well ovenmitt, Since dan is laggin, if i don't hear from him soon, i'll buy that amp off you. I have decided to play the speakers real low for the time being. I am slowly turning them up like 1 notch every other day. out of 26 I am up to 13 now. no pops or cracks sounds good.

BTW the stupid *** installer scratched my ****ing tint! i have to get the tint redone now. *******.

Quick Reply: Clarion + Audiobahn issue