Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Amp mouted on rear seat!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2003, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I am working on solidifying the rear seats so that won't be an issue. Mounted custom metal inside the rear seat to the metal 'arms' so the amp is solid on there.
As well, Power Acousik (in the manual) actually recommends the amp being mounted vertically. Heat was definately a concern for me, this amp stays pretty cool though. If i run into heat issues, I've got a custom fan setup that I may convert on there with a temp sensor, so when the amp gets xx hot, fan comes on.

Thanks guys
Old Mar 16, 2003, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

i can't imagine why heat sinks would be less effecient in a vertical position as opposed to horizontal. as long as there is plenty of air flow over the top of the amp you should be fine. i also wouldn't worry about vibrations damaging the amp.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Well lets think about this for a min. How do hot air baloons work? They put hot air in them because heat rises. Why are all those fins and crevices on amps? For larger surface area for cooling. Mounted vertically the heat rises from the largest surface area, which is now vertical, and then further heats the amp beacuse it is going right over the the rest of the amp. Mounted flat the the heat is able to go straight up and away from the amp, much more efficient. Everyone knows hot amps = broke amps in the long run.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

amp should be fine mounted vertically. the heat sink draws the heat away from the circuit, then is able to disappate the heat into the air effeciently, whether it is vertical or horizontal. your computer processor is lying sideways in your tower with a heat sink and it works fine. granted it also has a fan but this just aids in circulating air.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

airlinevomitbag:

good rant. intellegent, well thought-out and with just a dash of smack.

seriously, i completely agree with you. for the most part however, as long as the amp isn't cranking 110% 24/7, the fins should help enough to keep the amp cool. i have a rockford amp mounted the same way, and even after blaring it for hours, and then checking the temp, its only warm.

now you thinking power acoustik is up there with legacy, pyramid, pyle, and rockwood, i'd have to disagree. i've had friends use that trash before, and i've noticed two things.
1. the amps always break. always. why? because they are cheaply made, hence cheaply sold.
2. the amp designs almost ALWAYS look like last years models from brand names like sony and rockford. case in point, rockwood. yeah, like that's not a combo of rockford and kenwood.

power acoustik may be inexpensive, but cheap its not. while i'm ranting, has anyone else noticed that pioneer makes a whole cheap line for wal-mart only? i can't find any information about the products from pioneer, but wal-mart.com sells them all the same. strange...
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

i agree
if your car was standing vertical then there might be a problem here
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

ok one thing-if your amp overheats when it is mounted in a vertical position, it is a poor quality amp. if you know anything about heat transfer, the heat sink will do exactly what it's designed to do, and sink the heat. the amp itself may be warm to the touch, but you aren't feeling the circuit that is hot, it's the heat sink, which is designed to absorb the heat and disappate it into the air. obviously the warmer the sink is, the more heat your circuit is generating, which is bad. but the amp being warm isn't a bad thing because the sink is designed to absorb the heat.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:13 PM

good explanation AVB...
like I said earlier, its just a friendly warning everyone. Of course there are ppl out there that have no problem mounting on a vertical non-sturdy surface. But there are also ppl out there that have f*cked up their amps because of this. Why do they say not to mount amps to a sub box? How many ppl still do it anyways with no problem? But how many competition vehicles have their amps mounted to their sub box? So in the end, do wutever the f*ck u want...I'm just tellin the SAFEST way, cuz I don't like wasting my time or money. ONE
Old Mar 17, 2003, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

if you have problems with your amp overheating, then you should rethink your audio setup. overheating means that it is being put close to maximum output for long periods of time. if this is the case, you should get a higher powered amp that doesn't need to work as hard.

i like to listen to music loud, but i'm usually only driving around town. if i have to drive for an hour or more, i make sure i turn my music down periodically for a multitude of reasons, including not wanting to go deaf. if you are listening to your stereo at maximum volume for hours at a time than you need more power. a higher power amp will not require as much gain to achieve the same volume, then again people would probably just turn that up as loud as it goes too.

competition cars don't mount amps on sub boxes for various reasons, including space requirements, looks, and vibrations. i've seen plenty of competition vehicles however that have amps mounted in a non-horizontal fashion. basically because they don't play their music at full volume for 3 hours.

oh, and with respect to mounting it on the rear seat, you can always fold the seat DOWN, and it would be in the "proper" position.

EDIT: another thing, people that have ****ed up their amps with a vertical mounting probably would have ****ed them up in a horizontal mount too, they probably abuse their system and try to exceed the limits or just never turn the volume down.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 02:40 AM
Evolved Member

nother side pic. this was before hiding wires and custom mount brackets for the amp.
Attached Thumbnails Amp mouted on rear seat!-ampside2.jpg  
Old Mar 20, 2003, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

one more for the heck of it
Attached Thumbnails Amp mouted on rear seat!-ampside1.jpg  
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

nice. thats a huge amp i also have my amp mounted on the back seat. i will take some pics when i get to my new house on the 1st btw, hide those nasty wires
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:14 PM
NeX
Evolving Member

Digdat,

Put as many screws in that ***** as possible, and then glue or strip the screws so its harder for thiefs to steal it. I mean if they want it bad enough they'll get it but it might slow them down a bit.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

I'm actually thinking of rewiring my setup and moving my amp under my seat. Makes it a little more time consuming to steal, having to get that seat removed. Sorry about your loss again, nex.