Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

What's up with my amp?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's up with my amp?

Well a couple days ago, my amp just gave out i think...i dropped the 2 jensens i had and replaced them with a set of 10inch memphis subs...the jensen amp was 600X4 bridable and i guess it short circuted or sumthin because the music(bass from subs) suddenly stopped and the protect light came on, then it would go ok for like a sec(the light not music, but it would send a signal to the subs, even with the cd player off) then protect on again, my ground is fine, im running 4 gauge wiring all my wires are fine, and i even unplugged the speakers to check if it was them, now only the power, remote, and ground wire are connected with no blown fuses but my amp still is acting weird and not working, it comes on but puts out no signal, anyone know whats up?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the impedence on your subs match the stability limit of the amp. (Did you series or parallel the subs correctly to run at 2 or 4 ohms depending on what the amp was rated at.) Because if when 2 of the channels are bridged and you put a 2 ohm load across those channel that can only handle a 4 ohm load, you could fry components within the amp.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

tht makes sense...im not sure, well im looing into a mojo amp for the subs now
Old Jan 1, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

bump for anyone who knws wht can be done for it
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

is your gain turned up too high? did you possibly bridge the wrong channels? did you test your subs for blown voice coils? did you recheck ALL your connections? are you using a capacitor at all (at least .5 farad for every 500 watts RMS)?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

still have to get a farad cap, gain was about 3/4 up, bridged correct channels, subs are fine, all connections have been checked and are fine....could not having a cap do it? i thought all they do is help stop your battery from draining....
Old Jan 2, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThunderOZRacer
still have to get a farad cap, gain was about 3/4 up, bridged correct channels, subs are fine, all connections have been checked and are fine....could not having a cap do it? i thought all they do is help stop your battery from draining....
they also help to keep your amps from cutting off!! do you know what the current amperage draw is from your audio system?? do you know what the car's max amperage is? are you using an Optima yellow top battery or equivalent? are you using the right kind of fuse(s) in your power line? u shouldn't need the gain up that high. try adjusting the sensivity to better match the voltage on the deck. or you might want to look at a more powerful amp. rule of thumb is to have the speaker handle more than the amp, but if the amp has a high THD (total harmonic distortion) of anything higher than .08, you will most likely get clipping & blow out stuff even at low to medium volumes...
Old Jan 2, 2006, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

well the verdict as of 2nite is that the amp is dead and im jst going to focus on getting the memphis amp for the subs, 3 farad cap and im upgrading my fuses so i wont have to worry about this happening again...thnx
Old Jan 2, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds like you blew a channel from your amp. If you bridged it, and being that it is a JENSEN, no disrespect to JENSEN but their audio equip hasn't been the greatest in the last couple of years...anyway it sounds like you blew a channel(s) from your amp. That's way your protect light flipped on, on your amp. So...to sum it...your amp is pretty much shot.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

yea i knw its not great but i really wanted something and had to get it quick and cheap lol...so im slowly upgrading everything(im still in high school so its goin really slow lol) but i replaced the 2 jensen 10s in the bandpass box for 2 memphis 10s in a vented box and the memphis mojo amp is next so im getting there....me and a few audio friends of mine concluded that it was toast so im thinkin, why not take the back off and replace it with plexiglass and put couple neon tubes in it and use as a trunk light jk
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, like I said before, make sure when you're connecting your subs to the amp, you check to make sure they are wired right. Check the impedence with a multimeter/ohmeter. If they read 2-ohms, make sure the amp is made to handle that. If they read 4 make sure the amp is made to handle that. Most amps can give you max rms power at 4 ohms and other more expensive ones at 2-ohms. You gotta start spending money to get the 1-ohm stable and .5-ohm stable and the variable 1 or .5-4ohm stable amps. And if you really want a cheap 1-ohm stable amp that puts out globs of power, look into the bigger of the kenwood class-D amps. I havent seen em blow under normal-moderately heavy use and they cost like $180-230ish on ebay. Good Luck!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

yea i think the memphis amp is 1 or 2 ohm stable....mono block
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

my system's slowly but steadily improving lol, this with the new amp itll be my 4th setup within the last 4 months
Old Jan 3, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

All I am going to say is you get what you pay for...I had a :chuckles: a Roadmaster amp that gave out after 2 minutes of work.

Quick Reply: What's up with my amp?