Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

considering buying jl subs and kicker amp

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
considering buying jl subs and kicker amp

my friend offered me a kicker amp that's rated at 1200 watts, and 2 12 jl w7's, they're the better subs i think they are for $200. I blew my amp a while ago, So i just wanted the amp, but he said he'd throw in the subs with it. Wanted to know if anyone has any good reviews on any of those products, or if I should just buy a new amp. I have 2 12 kicker comps dvc for subs, wondering if the jl's are better
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

well i have heard good things about this Kicker amp. My friend got one and hasnt had any problem with them and seems to do the job just fine. I believe this amp....1200 watts is over 300 bucks, so doesnt sound too bad.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

the Jl subs are awesome good deep bass if you want that I have one 10 inch and they are not cheap subs they are like 200-300 dollars
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:48 PM

yea, that's pretty much why I was gonna snag the deal, just the amp would be worth it but he just bought a new car so he needed the money and said he'd throw in the subs. Thanks for helping me out
Old Mar 31, 2003, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hell get all over that deal.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 11:50 PM
NeX
Evolving Member

i have the kicker 1200.1 amp and thats an amazing amp. The subs ur talking about are the best on the market, snag that **** before i shell out my hella cash.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

i don't know about JL being best on the market....they are good subs. i think people way overrate JL. if it's a kicker comp that's a pretty good amp. go for it.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 04:10 PM

I got the amp today but it wasn't even a kicker, i thought it was, it's actually an alpine v12 model ## mrv-1507, it's a 2-1 channel amp rated at 1200 watts max. The thing is huge, it'll prob take up my whole back seat, but Alpine has nice **** so I figured i'd pick it up but it's kinda sketchy cause the inputs and outputs are beat up quite a bit, so I'm hoping he didn't burn out the amp.I was looking at pics and it's suppose to be color coated like they should be, but the plastic seems to be melted, so I'm hoping it's just from the sun or something, and not from burning it out. I took out my amp kit so i can't test it out, I'll try and post pics of it so you can see what it looks like. Good thing I go to school with the kid if it's a junker. Haven't gotten the subs yet said he'd bring em in tomorrow
Old Apr 1, 2003, 05:30 PM

damn, I just sold my girls Alpine v12...and the jlw7! I had it posted...you should have got it from me!
Old Apr 1, 2003, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

For that price, you're getting a steal either way cuz both the amp and the subs are worth plenty more than that by themselves.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 12:49 PM

the w7's are a good sub, but there are better, and that amp is heavy as ****....sell it and get a lighter more effecient amp. either way, a great buy
Old Apr 3, 2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Rbrookstx
the w7's are a good sub, but there are better, and that amp is heavy as ****....sell it and get a lighter more effecient amp. either way, a great buy
Yah i agree that the amp is very heavy, but I don't really know what amp i should get I wanna power two 12's, and two 10's, which would be either w7s or kicker comps for the 12's and I'm not quite sure what i'm getting for the 10's yet, but I want either two seperate amps, or one amp that will power the subs, so any suggestions would be helpful, thanks
Old Apr 4, 2003, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

JL w7s are really expensive!! its like $599 for one sub... But for me those are the best and its really for competitions!.. Yeah, Kicker comp and solobarics are super loud, but they blow up right away!.. So rather get JLs, its worth your money! and i recomend 12 inches!! Good amps would be rockfordfosgate, JL, Crossfire and some other brands
Old Apr 4, 2003, 04:04 PM

I went to a local shop and testing out my amp, and it works just fine so that's good, Got my subs today one is a little messed up, but he said he'd get me another sub that's never been used before, he said it was a kenwood?? I didn't think kenwood made subs, I'm gonna check online to look at it, but just happy that the amp works. he's throwing in a box too, I told him i'd give him $60 for the sub and box, hope it works out good.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 06:20 PM

kenwood makes a decent sub, the tornado series is pretty nice, ugly as sin, but I'd put em up next to a JL in the right kind of box. the Jl's have much better bass response than the kenwood though. I got a 10" tornado in a sealed box that I'll put next to any jl w3 of the same size, not the w7 as it has the afforementioned bass response the kenwood doesn't. Though the sub I had was a single voice coil, and I hear that kenwood gave the tornade series a dual voice coil.