Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Subwoofer position

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Subwoofer position

Greetings..

I'm preparing for the audio setup of my new evo9.

Considering finances/quality/brands and what is available in UAE, I have come with the following arrangement:

Conf. 2 $205.48 Polk sub10" + Box or exposed in btwn 2rear spks $268.77 JBL Amp 1200, powers all spks and sub $155.62 JBL 6x9's (new ones they offered me) $219.18 Polk front MMC 4600 (6inch+tweeter) $273.97 Front Head Kenwood KDC-X8529 $ 260.27 Installation and cables $ 1,383.29

I would have liked to know your comments on this setup.

Also, what do you guys think of having an subwoofer exposed on the rear panel in between the two rear speakers, having the boot space as its volume.. Is it ok to share its air with the other two speakers? Any ideas you can give me. And yes! It's more for the purpose of the estethics! (mostly that the Polk sub has a MOMO label!)

Your comments highly appreciated guys..

Thanks,

Wael
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry the table didnt past well in the first post, here goes:

$205 Polk sub10 + Box or exposed in btwn 2rear spks
$268 JBL Amp powers all
$155 JBL 6x9's
$220 Polk front MMC 4600
$274 Front Head Kenwood KDC-X8529
$260 Installation and cables

Total $1,385

Thanks,

Wael
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

bump!
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not put any more holes in the rear deck. Leave it alone. Just get a box for the trunk. And why not go with polk speakers front and rear.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

You guys dont have Focal, JL audio, Kicker, MB Quart, Infinty, Alpine, Eclipse over there for audio equipment?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Or "Audison"?????
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lose the rear deck speakers if you put a sub in the deck or trunk. The sub pressure will move the deck speakers, they will sound bad and die a premature death. Simply unplug the stock rear speakers if you have a sub and listen to the speakers play as the sub moves them. The holes in the deck for the factory speakers will make it easier for the sub frequencies to get into the cabin too.

Unles you have video in your car, all music you play is recorded in 2 channels (stereo). Instead of buying 2 sets of average speakers, buy 1 set of excellent speakers. You can now buy a better 2 channel amp to power them and you didn't spend any more $$$$ for better sound.

If you really need "rear fill", leave the stock speakers in the deck powered by the deck and use the fader to limit their output. Rear fill speakers in theater setups are much smaller, play a limited frequncy range and have around 1/4 of the power.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for replies guys.. I would be using my car for regular music and not dvd or theatre.. So i will sure need the fill effect of the rear, more a concert filling sound rather than a theatre omni-directional sound..

TO answer NoTec:
Focal: nope
JL audio: amps only
Kicker: nope
MB Quart: available
Infinty: not a great range
Eclipse: nope

Alpine: exactly! what i searched for today.. I found out that I'll go for the following:
- Alpine Head CDA9855 i think it looks great rather than the toy appearance of others (and very expensive but it's worth it..)

- Front Speakers Alpine SPR-17LS 6.5inch+tweeter Component spks, comes with crossover unit.. Super quality they tell me..

- Alpine 10inch Sub in a custom made box in trunk..

- Alpine Amplifier MRV-F345 to power fronts and Sub

- Keep the back stocks peakers (connected directly to the deck) or the least replace them with some fair quality Alpines..

This configuration shows the most efficient as it turns the cheapest as well!

Wael
Old Apr 8, 2006, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

I've never been to a concert or live performance with rear speakers except for Pink Floyd. The speakers are always on the left and right sides of the stage (stereo). There is no such thing as rear fill in regular music. There is plenty of rear fill effect in a car since your surrounded by glass and other reflective surfaces. In most vehicles the rear speakers are the larger speakers. Think 6x9, the abortion of an 8" to fit in the rear deck. They only exist in car audio and the intention was to gain low frequency response. The trunk is the enclosure and you get extended low end frequency response. Putting a dedicated subwoofer in a prpoer enclosure with an amplifier will easily outperform factory woofers. The factory woofers shouldn't be replaced, they are obsolete with a dedicated subwoofer that will perform better. By removing them you get the benefit of increased pressure in the car, less rattling of the deck and a speaker that will sound bad because the subwoofer is moving the suspension.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

OK Bill, as a first trial i shall go halfway as you suggested: keep the rear stock spks and power them as little as to fill the space.. I will then remove them to see the difference as such.. Let's see what will happen!

Will keep u posted..

Wael
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Oh.. Btw, the evo is ready for collectin tomorrow morning! Cant' wait!!

Wael
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Got the evo today and hell it rocks! Bill you're an audio divine being! I've never had a system sound so good.. Actually, few systems i've been in had such crisp, clarity and presence.. All this with stock rear speakers, you're right! They just fill up and all the good tunes come from the front compound speakers.. I yet have to tune the diabolic Alpine head, there are a million setting, talkless about the other million in the digital Alpine amp!

The 10inch sub gives a perfect resonance, and it's all in harmony.. Vocals are super.. No complains!

Now i really hate to reach, i wished the roads never end!

Wael
Old Apr 14, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Great news, Now get the equipment you have set up properly to get the most out of it. You shouldn't consider installing anything else until you optimize what you have.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Bill,

My car was a show star this weekend among all the friends and even ppl who were passing by.. Some actually stopped and went down to check the car as more crowd was building up!! :-)

The sound system was an amazement to everyone.. Once they sat in the driver's seat, they'd always note about the mild and surrounding music.. everyone wondered what i have there hidden!

And the most funny thing is when I'm driving, music in the car and suddenly a 'woofer bump' or a 'tweeter ting' comes along with the tune, and the person near me starts to look around and behind to see where the sound came from outside the car!

Thanks again!

Wael
Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

sweet cant wait to have a new system in my evo 9 as well.. im just in the process of lookingfor a good audio shop here in temecula murrieta area of socal!!!