Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Sony MEX-5DI?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2003, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony MEX-5DI?

i have some questions about the sony mex-5di(the funky one that allows you to install youe own jpegs and stuff)
i have a line on getting one for about half the price(i was a floor model and i can get it for $525 instead of the reg $999 so sounds too good to pass)
now...i have been doing some reading and (crutchfield) it sais that the unit doesn't have a internal power supply and external amps are needed.
does this mean that to get it to work as a regular head unit i need a amp?
or does it mean that it will work just under powered?
this is such a nice looking unit and for the price i wouldn't want to pass it up so any help would be nice
Old May 5, 2003, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

It means just what it says. There is no internal amplifier in the HU. It won't push speakers at all. You'll need seperate amps.
Old May 5, 2003, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

so...without a amp there will be no sound out the speakers?or just no pump out of them?
Old May 6, 2003, 12:39 AM
Evolving Member

no sound whatsoever.. it supplies only the signal, not the power to drive a magnet of any kind.. it wont just sound bad without external amps, it wont sound at all.

this is a competition level HU you're getting. most systems at this level use external amps to drive any speaker due to their higher power ratings, clearer and more consistent sound quality. The manufacturers of such quality HU's don't bother packing an amp into the package b/c they know it wont be used anyways. instead the concentrate on giving you optimum sound and features, such as the color screen, etc.

expect to pay a few more hundreds of $$ on an amp or 2 to drive the speakers.. In all honesty I'd suggest that you get a cheaper HU with a built in amp (for $500, you can still get a really nice one), as it seems that you might be getting a bit over your head with the sony.

I recommend the panasonic mxe cq-hx2083u. (look in the crutchfield) it has a nice screen, nice power, and you can make the display color match the red of the OZ guages. Thats what I'm looking to buy for my evo soon.
Old May 6, 2003, 01:49 AM
Evolved Member

ha just got this HU today... dunno when am i gonna start putting stuff together...yea i need to find a amp..now just wondering the demition will fit or not...
Old May 6, 2003, 02:08 AM
Evolving Member

thanks thwack...ive been reading reviews and the more i read the more money it seems that i will be paying.it just seemed too good a deal to pass if you know what i mean.guess i will be going back to the ones i was planning on getting in the first place...the sony CDX-M800 or the CDX-MP70.
choices...choices
Old May 6, 2003, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

you don't have a good deal, you can get that unit at 549 at etronics

check this out:

http://www.epinions.com/Sony_MEX_5DI...trols___MEX5DI

Etienne
Old May 6, 2003, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

trance, i had a chance to get that same HU for $340 brand new. i figured its not worth the money cuz i dont have a show system, i went with the MP70, got a deal for $200 shipped off a eclipse club member, and im VERY happy with it. i love that HU.
Old May 6, 2003, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly, I'd look at some other brands. Ever since Sony dropped the Mobile ES line and switched to XPLOD their products have gone downhill... well, more like off a cliff. Sure, they look nice, but reliability wise, and signal wise, they're performing sub-par. If you're willing to drop $500 on a HU be sure to check out Nakamichi, Eclipse, Clarion, Alpine, Panasonic, and Denon. (for the mainstream brands, check out the high end stuff) In your price range, you can do far better sound and build wise than a Sony.
Old May 8, 2003, 01:38 AM
Evolved Member

just installed my MEX-5DI...
sweet unit!! yea..bought a crappy 250Watts amp to push my stock speakers!! daymn i love that color screen!
Old May 8, 2003, 03:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Higgity Hank
Honestly, I'd look at some other brands. Ever since Sony dropped the Mobile ES line and switched to XPLOD their products have gone downhill... well, more like off a cliff. Sure, they look nice, but reliability wise, and signal wise, they're performing sub-par. If you're willing to drop $500 on a HU be sure to check out Nakamichi, Eclipse, Clarion, Alpine, Panasonic, and Denon. (for the mainstream brands, check out the high end stuff) In your price range, you can do far better sound and build wise than a Sony.
very true....oh so true. stuff from a few years ago SUCKED!! This years line is improving greatly thought. i was a sony fan forever, then theyre stuff sucked, but personal experience has showed me otherwise with the new head units. the MP70 is absolutely awesome. i would recommend it to anyone. price is reasonable, 3 preaouts, aux input for a/v, 52wattx4, mp3 cd-r/cd-rw compatible, g shock (damn thing wont skip no matter how hard you take speed bumps....personal experience ), mono sub control, built in EQ7 equalizer (very cool), and looks hella cool. lots of other small features too, like disc/track naming, radio station preset naming, changing colors, motorized etc. i really like it, sony's bringing their name back up with this stuff....too bad their subs still suck, and their amps arent worth ****, and speakers are crap (except the new model 6x9's which are pretty decent and fairly priced on ebay). but head unit wise, theyre coming back up. ok, thats all for now..........
Old May 8, 2003, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

I do admit they're working on it. But my experiences have forever tarnished Sony's good name in my head. The only product in my home that bears the SONY nameplate is my PS2. Thankfully that hasn't failed me yet. *knocks on wood*

PearlWhite: Glad you're enjoying with the setup. Everything in the car audio game comes down to what you're happy with.
Old May 8, 2003, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

i have lost faith in sony ever since my ps2 broke twice and a third time unfixable i think the only sony things i own are a pair of headphones and some CD-Rs.

i shut off my internal power amp. it's a waste of power and heat, since i have an external amp powering any and all speakers that will be emitting sound. i only turn it on when someone is riding in the back so i can fade it to the rear slightly, so they aren't overpowered with bass from the trunk.
Old May 8, 2003, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

the only Sony thing I would ever consider about buying would be a receiver for my home stereo...that's about it...I think their speakers suck as well..
Old May 20, 2003, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

pics of my MEX-5DI
Attached Thumbnails Sony MEX-5DI?-headunit_2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sony MEX-5DI?