Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

X-Mas list

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2006, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-Mas list

Alright guys I'm getting my christmas list going and I want a new sound system.

For starters I'll be needing a Sub, amp, wiring kit, and a box.

For the sub I'm want the L7 that I can get for $150 HERE I can't remember but, if I want to run this sub @ 2ohms should I get the 2 ohm one or the 4 ohm?

next is the amp but I have no idea what I want. I was looking at this amp HERE
Now I want to have at least 750w RMS, a bass boost remote, and be $250-350. Any suggestion would be great.

BOx: HERE

wiring: HERE

Alright none of these are set into stone so any suggestions would be great. The amp is the only thing that I'm worried about really.

Would a L7 @ 600w sound alot different if it was at say 750w (max).

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

2 ohm always

amp is fine, you wont find many good amps in that price range

box is good

wiring is kinda expensive but fine

and you wouldnt notice much bass difference, just hits harder
Old Nov 1, 2006, 07:02 PM

So the wiring is alittle expensive (Crutchfield for ya) and the amp looks fine? Alright looks good. I can probably buy the wiring kits for like 30 bucks at a local audio shop so I'm not worried. It was just the amp I had questions about like is it trust worthy or things like that.

thanks bene
Old Nov 1, 2006, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Well, considering the L7 is a dual voice coil woofer... you would actually want to get the 4 ohm one. That will be 2 voice coils that operate at 4 ohms each. Wired in series they will give 8 ohms. Wired parallel the will give 2 ohms.

However, I wouldn't recommend that amp or box to go with it. An L7 needs more air space than that to sounds its best. About 1.25 cu. ft. will give you the best sound out of it. And that amp will give too much power at 2 ohms if you don't keep the gain turned down a bit.

Personal recommendation if you are set on that L7...

Find a box that will give you 1.25 cu. ft. internal air space. And only turn the gain on the amp up about 3/4 of the way.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

no diffrence from getting the 2 ohm and hooking up a coil or both coils for 2 ohms, series 4 ohm or parrallel 1 ohm... if he wants to upgrade later he will get a 1 ohm amp hopefully and wire it to it

we talked about this alot a long time ago
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

and yes hes right about the box, i didnt look :P

sadly they hardly sell anything bigger than a 1 cu ft now
Old Nov 2, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't really recommend hooking up just one of the voice coils. You can damage the woofer by doing that. Most companies won't consider that to be a warranty repair either after they examine it.

Look for a company called Audio Enhancers. They make L7 boxes up to 2 cu. sealed.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:32 PM

For the box kicker says .88 Cu./ft minimum and 2 max so I thought that 1 is in the middle and it should be fine. So how much should I look for? 1.5? 2? Also that box was made specifically for the L7 so why would they make it to not sound at it's best?

As for the amp it is a little over-kill so I figure I wouldn't turn it up all the way.

So now what is the verdict on which type of sub? 2ohm or 4 ohm?

I can see both of your points but I really don't want to hurt anything so.....

Last edited by aquaman; Nov 2, 2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:44 PM

One more question, will I be able to run 4-guage wiring in my interior? I know it's probably pushin it but I really don't want to run it under the car.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aquaman
Alright guys I'm getting my christmas list going and I want a new sound system.

For starters I'll be needing a Sub, amp, wiring kit, and a box.

For the sub I'm want the L7 that I can get for $150 HERE I can't remember but, if I want to run this sub @ 2ohms should I get the 2 ohm one or the 4 ohm?

next is the amp but I have no idea what I want. I was looking at this amp HERE
Now I want to have at least 750w RMS, a bass boost remote, and be $250-350. Any suggestion would be great.

BOx: HERE

wiring: HERE

Alright none of these are set into stone so any suggestions would be great. The amp is the only thing that I'm worried about really.

Would a L7 @ 600w sound alot different if it was at say 750w (max).

Thanks

That's a small setup but should be enough to give you a good size boom. some guys go all out and dont leave enough room in santa's sleigh
Old Nov 2, 2006, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

do u ever plan on upgrading amps?

mines 1.5 cu ft and it has alot more deep bass and my friend has a 1 cu ft and it sounds good just not as deep
Old Nov 2, 2006, 04:00 PM

Alright I will look for a better box. And which amp(s) are you talking about? The kenwood? No, I believe this setup that I'm setting up will be enough for a long time.

New Box good?

Last edited by aquaman; Nov 2, 2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

no, the sub isnt made for a ported box it will pop thats how the sub gets a bad reputation people dont know squat about enclosures and think its the sub

the amp will satisfy you for 1 sub

and get the 2 ohm, and just hook them up however u want according to power
Old Nov 3, 2006, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

1.25 cu. ft. loosely packed with polyfill has been just about perfect for every sub that we deal with at work. It gives a nice solid hit, little to no resonance, and you can get deep sound withouth having a HUGE box. But, that is a matter of personal preference as to what you think sounds best.

Ok... let's go into the specs of that amp.

500 watts RMS @ 4 ohms
900 watts RMS @ 2 ohms

Now, let's look at the wiring options you each of the 2 subs.

Series will add resistance of the 2 voice coils together.
Parallel will half the resistance of the 2 coils.

Dual 2 ohm
Series will give you 4 ohms (500 watts)
Parallel will give you 1 ohm (won't work with that amp)

Dual 4 ohm
Series will give you 8 ohms (~250 watts)
Parallel will give you 2 ohms (900 watts)

To get the most out of that amp, you will want to get the dual 4 ohm and wire it in parallel and just keep the gain on the amp backed down.

If you want to play it safe and stay below the rated power of the sub (won't give you the best you can get from it) you could go with the dual 2 ohm and wire it in a series.

You will only run the rated RMS power with either configuration if you can hit the ideal conditions that they test under. 99.9% of the time, you won't be able to do that.

I, personally, would go with the 1.25 sealed box stuffed loosely. I'd put in the L7 dual 4 ohm wired parallel to give 900 watts (at best) from the amp.

As far as running the power wire goes... 4-guage is no problem to run in out interiors. I went out through the fender, in at the main rubber boot (no the door boot) in the kick panel, went down along the driver's side door sill, behind the b-pillar, along the driver's read door sill, under the back seat and into the trunk. If you run into any panel reinstall troubles, chances are it will be the 2 sill panels, which you can just trim the little fins off of the underside of them and it will fit perfectly.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:08 PM

So bene the L7 cant be put into a ported sub box? Kicker.com says that a "vented" box can be used with 1.75 cu/ft min and 3.25 max. So what's the difference between vented and ported?

If the L7 can't be used with a ported box, then I can't find one box that fits your guys's specs...So can you help me find one? Also why do they make ported boxes for the L7 if it shouldn't be used with one?

Neversatisfied- So putting 4-guage wiring is not that hard and any problems I might have I can just trim a little to make fit? Good.

I think I will get the 4 ohm Sub one only because:
1) I've never heared/seen of wiring a DVC to just one coil. (nothing against you bene)
2)Why only use one coil on a DVC?
3) I really don't ever plan on going to 1ohm.
4) if I can't get the 2ohms on the 2ohm DVC then I'm stuck with only 4 ohm, where as with the 4 ohm I could go to 2 or 8.

Now will this sub be ok at 900w if I don't turn everything up?

Quick Reply: X-Mas list