Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Tell me about the JL 12W7

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alpine x

i have a audiobahn A16000v its supposed to push 1600watts but it has gone up to 1800 watts
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

any one wanna comment on a kicker l7? anyone..anyone?
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the jl speakers are awesome. i have two 12" Polk MOMO's and they sound great.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The W7 is more of a marketing exercise than a performance one. You get a little more cone area and more excursion than a typical sub. The sacrifice is box size, efficiency and cost. Dumax testing has shown that you need 1500 watts to get the full output potential of the W7, and more power costs more money. There aren't many amplifiers that will provide that level of power either, amplifier ratings have become VERY OPTOMISTIC to say the least. If you want to spend a ton of money so you can say that the bass you hear came from a very expensive setup to imperss people then there are better alternatives for space, output and cost.

This is true for the L7 and many other "top of the line" subwoofer models out there.

You can buy a pair of many subs out there (including JL W3's) for less money. They will provide more output in approximately the same size enclosure with much less power needed.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

ok then my next question, if i'm able to buy 2 kicker l7's for the price of 150 a piece. would it be worth it to buy as appose to another speaker? seeing that the damn speaaker goes for399 i believe at circuit city each
Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdrcr456
the jl speakers are awesome. i have two 12" Polk MOMO's and they sound great.
Alright! I'm not the only ony one! LOL SVC or DVC?

Mine sound great too...
Old Feb 1, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BillAce
The W7 is more of a marketing exercise than a performance one. You get a little more cone area and more excursion than a typical sub. The sacrifice is box size, efficiency and cost. Dumax testing has shown that you need 1500 watts to get the full output potential of the W7, and more power costs more money. There aren't many amplifiers that will provide that level of power either, amplifier ratings have become VERY OPTOMISTIC to say the least. If you want to spend a ton of money so you can say that the bass you hear came from a very expensive setup to imperss people then there are better alternatives for space, output and cost.

This is true for the L7 and many other "top of the line" subwoofer models out there.

You can buy a pair of many subs out there (including JL W3's) for less money. They will provide more output in approximately the same size enclosure with much less power needed.
With that said, what would you recomend?
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lunchb0x
ok then my next question, if i'm able to buy 2 kicker l7's for the price of 150 a piece. would it be worth it to buy as appose to another speaker? seeing that the damn speaaker goes for399 i believe at circuit city each
Im not sure how they'll sound in a sedan but my cousin had 2 12'' L7's and a Kicker amp in a vented box that he made and they hit extremely hard in his 300zx...

What's everyones opinion on Memphis subwoofers?
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
Alright! I'm not the only ony one! LOL SVC or DVC?

Mine sound great too...
DVC. i get crap from other evo guys because the box weighs so much. and it slows the car down....bla..blaa.blaaaaa. i like good sound and it looks sick. i dont race and its still fast as hell.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

W7's are all about technology. They aren't the best 12 out there but since JL has the name going for them a lot of people will buy the hype. If you want extreme power handling and SPL look into MMATS Jugernaut series subs.

I personally have a JL 10W6 in the JL High-Output box pushed by the 500.1 JL Slash Amp in my Evo. Anyone who didn't know any better swore I had a 12...it hits that hard. Only reason I didn't get a 12w6 is because the H.O. box would not fit in the trunk opening and I like to pull the sub out when I need the room or hit the track.

It seems that most people will buy into hype but in reality can't tell the difference between a W7 or a W6. And the W6's are 300 cheaper.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lunchb0x

Can you afford the amplifier needed to drive them? Otherwise it's like buying an Evo without a turbo or all wheel drive...
Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nem187
With that said, what would you recomend?
Buy the best amplifier you can afford since it's the most expensive part. Then figure out how much space you are willing to give up for an enclosure. Then get a sub(s) that works well in that amount of airspace with that amount of power.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdrcr456
DVC. i get crap from other evo guys because the box weighs so much. and it slows the car down....bla..blaa.blaaaaa. i like good sound and it looks sick. i dont race and its still fast as hell.
LOL, I don't care if the extra weight from my custom boxes and amp racks "slows" the car down. The car is already slow as ***** anyway; and only a turbo kit will change that. The Lancer is more of a show piece that anything; the turbo Civic HB is my speedmobile...

But yeah, the Polks get the job done! and look good too!
Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

I have a single Jl Audio 12w7 powered by a Arc Audio 1500dr and it sounds awesome!!! It hits soo hard and low it will make your insides hurt. Its a very nice sound quality sub. Hits harder and louder than the 3 JL Audio 12w6 I once owned. And no its not a waste of money. You get what you pay for. Sure there are other subs that come close and are cheaper. Ive been in car audio for over 20years now and I've owned them all. Kicker solobarics are also nice. If you have more money look into Image Dynamics or Arc Audio subs. Alpine has a few nice subs. Polk SR series are pretty good. This is just my opinion. Don't let anyone tell you what to do with your money. Listen to subs one at a time and buy the one that sound good to your ears and budget. Good luck
Old Feb 1, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

It is hard to buy a sub based on how it sounds. Every car interior has a transfer function that will have a huge effect, especially on low frequency response. Typical Bass notes have a wavelength of 14-25 feet. There is mostly wave interaction since a car interior isn't that long. The cancellation or combining of waves based on reflective distances and interior volume will dictate much of the response. Power up to compression, is also important. There is a point when too much power is nothing but heat and damage for a speaker. Lucky for us, most amps never deliver that 2000 watts written on the box.

It's simple physics, move air. A bigger sub moves more air and can be louder. If a sub has more excursion (longer stroke) it will also be louder. The W7 gives you a lightly larger cone and more excursion. of course the "W" cone is much heavier and takes more energy to move so a larger motor structure and magnet is used. It takes more power to get the benefits and the mounting depth and enclosure volume mean it needs to occupy more space than most subs. You can definitely receive the same response and output with half the money spent.

The L7 has a square cone for more "surface area". Of course the square cone has corners that are areas of stress so it has to reinforce those areas and the cone is again much heavier than a traditional woofer. The surround isn't immune to lateral forces and needs 'ribs' to allow that motion without being ripped apart. The excusrion is also no better adn in many cases worse than a typical sub. So here you spend a little less than a W7 and get a smaller box but still need a ton of power and don't gain anything worth mentioning in air movement.

Arc subs are actually rebadged Image Dynamics stuff.

Another thing is the "plays so low" concept. The lowest fundamental note of a musical instrument is around 43Hz. (unless your playing a pipe organ with 56' long pipes). Most box designs will begin to roll off above this point and the majority of bass response is in the 60-80Hz range and this is usually where bass is the loudest. A sub playing loud at 40Hz that tried to play equally loud at 20Hz would have to move twice as far. This isn't likely to happen, iron law states that to play an octabve lower you need 8 times the power or enclosure size. You really have to get exotic to get low sub bass response, Aperiodic membranes, well designed free air setups, or transmission line enclosures will do it. Huge ported boxes can too but are usually very dangerous without a subsonic filter.

Besides, what are you listening to down there anyway, Pipe Organ and Stand Up Bass holiday classics?

Quick Reply: Tell me about the JL 12W7