Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Tell me about the JL 12W7

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off i have heard first hand the 8w7 in the HO Wedge, and a 10W7 in the ProWedge and the sound quality is unbelieveable. Don't expect to get the same performance out of the sub by using a different brand amp. The JL amps have equalizers which allow you to sort of get a more wider sound. You can tune the response of the sub to your car. But on the sub side, the JL W7 are by far the best sounding, clearest subs i have heard. Sure there are other subs out there that are louder but if you want clarity then I recomend you go with JL. I listened to the Kicker solobarics and sure they are loud but you can hear a lot of the woofer noise. It sounds like a sort of flutter i call it. I dunno what the real name is. The W7's are all very clear and it just depends on what you can afford. How much room you have to put it. Or budget. The HO Wedge sound the loudest in my opinion so if you have the money and the room for it then go for it. Other alternatives would be the W6V2 if you want a cheaper alternative. Heres a link to JL Audio's page showing the recomended RMS for each of there subs.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...php?page_id=35
Good luck

Last edited by sykou; Feb 8, 2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Oh jeebus...if you want the say "hey I have the most expensive 12" sub that JL makes" go ahead and buy the W7. But I garan-damn-tee you that you won't know the difference in your car between it and the W6.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

^ W6v2 correct? Ive heard good things about that model
Old Feb 9, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sykou
^ W6v2 correct? Ive heard good things about that model
Yes, sorry I didn't specify...I'm just used to calling it the W6. I have the 10w6v2 in the JL H.O. box and it slams pretty good for a 10.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

I was wondering how those HO boxes from JL sounded, thanks gusy
Old Feb 10, 2007, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
JL subs by far out perform their competiters. They have the cleanest bass and best sound of any subwoofer. I have 1 12w3 v2 (dual voice coil 2ohm speaker) in my trunk of my spyder and it's all anyone needs. I also have a Precision power ART Series a600 which will deliver all the power I need.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gturbo
JL subs by far out perform their competiters. They have the cleanest bass and best sound of any subwoofer. I have 1 12w3 v2 (dual voice coil 2ohm speaker) in my trunk of my spyder and it's all anyone needs. I also have a Precision power ART Series a600 which will deliver all the power I need.
JL is a good brand of woofer. I would bet my house that if I gave you a blind test of 10 woofers and 5 were JL you wouldnt get them all right. IF they were the sub with the "Cleanest bass and best sound of any subwoofer" this would be really easy for you. I bet that if you call JL audio and ask them they would tell you the same thing. There are so many variables that go into sub performance its hard to make such a blanket statement about a particular woofer, let alone an entire brand. (Even including the subs JL has made overseas at the same factories that manufacture 75% of the other brands)

Its great that you are happy with what you have, but it doesn't make it the best for everyone, especially in soumething as subjective as sound quality since everyones ears are different too.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Ive always prioritized power source over driver myself. The jlw7 is capable of outperforming MOST woofers on the market. IM sorry but the alpine type X Is no w7, its no w6..Its more along the lines of a beefed up w3.

JL does reccomend atleast 1" MDF box face for the w7.

All that said..with enough power and the right box, you can make ANYTHING sound good. 6"s, 8"s, whatever. I personaly feel the w6 is the best overall JL woofer, and would say the IDMAX is its best competitor. But again, without a SURPLUS of power, they cant perform the way they should.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

well after all my *****ing and moaning well not really i went out and got me an open box pair of jl's today. 12w3v3d2's and i must say even being 100w below what is recommended for optimal sound performance i am very much impressed. they are only (between the two) 500w rms and they sound rediculous in our car. i have to say that in my opinion these subs will pretty much do everything you want and more. now all i have to do is find an optimum amp such as the 500/1 jl audio slash and i'll be set......anyone wanna loan me 500 bux?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

As nice as the JL amps are, there is better for the money. If you want bang for the buck..get an arc audio KAR series 900.1

450x1 @4 ohms, 750x1 @2 ohms, & 900x1 @1 ohms
-
# Class D Monoblock
# 1 Ohm Mono Stable
# Remote Sub Level Control
# Subsonic Filter
# Stable to two ohms stereo
# Optically isolated mosfet power supply
# Can drive highly reactive loads
# Protection against: reverse voltage, over voltage, speaker short, and thermal overload
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

2 >W6's here with a JL-1000 amp

.....................what did u say?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

if money is not an issue i would go with the critical mass ul12, it is a lot of money but if anyone has heard this woofer in the spec'd box, you would know that this is the near perfect woofer!
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DontRevMe
As nice as the JL amps are, there is better for the money. If you want bang for the buck..get an arc audio KAR series 900.1

450x1 @4 ohms, 750x1 @2 ohms, & 900x1 @1 ohms
-
# Class D Monoblock
# 1 Ohm Mono Stable
# Remote Sub Level Control
# Subsonic Filter
# Stable to two ohms stereo
# Optically isolated mosfet power supply
# Can drive highly reactive loads
# Protection against: reverse voltage, over voltage, speaker short, and thermal overload
I suggest you take a look at JL's specs there sparky
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
I suggest you take a look at JL's specs there sparky
I carry both brands sparky

Dollar for dollar..arc audio makes more power than JL.. By far.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:54 AM

12in w7 are perfect.. i have 10in w6 and they bump nice....

Quick Reply: Tell me about the JL 12W7