Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Tell me about the JL 12W7

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 03:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not running JL Subs but I am running a TMA amp which is made by JL now and I love it. But my friend is running a JL with a TMA amp and is sounds pretty good, not great cause it's in a pick-up but its not bad.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently running a Resonant Engineering 12" HC12 (not in production anymore) in my car and it pounds. I've owned Kicker, JL Audio (& numerous others) and RE subs own them all, especcially for the price. The SX series is closest to the HC.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DontRevMe
Ive always prioritized power source over driver myself. The jlw7 is capable of outperforming MOST woofers on the market. IM sorry but the alpine type X Is no w7, its no w6..Its more along the lines of a beefed up w3.

JL does reccomend atleast 1" MDF box face for the w7.

All that said..with enough power and the right box, you can make ANYTHING sound good. 6"s, 8"s, whatever. I personaly feel the w6 is the best overall JL woofer, and would say the IDMAX is its best competitor. But again, without a SURPLUS of power, they cant perform the way they should.
Interestingly enough, the IDMAX 12 and 12W7 were tested completely at the same lab including Dumax testing.

The IDMAX was 1db louder below 30Hz
The woffers were nearly identical output from 30-60Hz
The W7 was 1db louder above 60Hz

The interesting part was that the W7 required over 1200 watts to reach full output and the IDMAX needd around 700 watts. This would mostly be due to power compression i believe. If you have a ton of real power the W7 would probably handle heat better.

The JBL differential drive W series subs were some serious woofers. Of course they have more engineers than JL, ID, and the any other speaker company mentioned in this thread combined...