Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Help with Audio Decision

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2007, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Audio Decision

On my 2004 ES I changed my stock stereo system. i replaced all 4 speakers with Infinity Reference sieries 6.5 inch speakers. I replaced my HU with and Insignia one. After replacing them i noticed that i wasnt get nearly as much bass as with my stock speakers, i was very dissapointed with the result. my question is......
1) What happened?
2) Will buying and SSL amp help "boost" my bass?
Old Feb 11, 2007, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

yea bro. see that's why im having such a hard time trying to find some good speakers. the only 6.5s that get awesome reviews on crutchfield are the polk audio ones and they don't fit our car. I'm thinking I'm gonna modify my grills. Good luck man. As far as I've heard only 6x9's or subs give decent bass. Unless you can find some good 6x5s and infinity is good. Check our crutchfield. The customers have a bunch of reviews about each kind of speaker and they usually talk about bass.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Note: This is my first post so take it for what its worth. Just installed a high end system in my IX. I have quite a bit of experience with home audio and moderate amount with mobile. You went from a speaker that is very efficient (stock) to your infinities which are not as efficient. This does not mean they (infinity) are bad speakers its that your stockers were meant to work more efficiently with less power. Not to mention most higher end speakers have a narrower frequency range in which they perform well. Hence the reason a subwoofer is usually used. As for your speakers they are 6.5 inch and can be replaced with just about any 6.5 as long as you keep in mind clearance issues with your windows. Search this site. There are a few really good posts on this. Oh, and I have heard that infinity may make the stock HU so you may have taken a step down in power quality anyhow.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Most people feel the same way when they first change the speakers and/or headunit. The difference is that the factory headunit has special equalization built into it that makes the speakers sound better in the car. The only think you can really do to make up for the difference is (A) put an amp in to give a bit more power to the 6 1/2s (not going to be alot of bass either way though) or (B) add a subwoofer, even a little 8" will round out the low end of things without being overpowering. Just depends on what you are really going for.

As far as modifying the grills to put in the Polks, I wouldn't. It's not really going to be worth it in the end. Just get something that will fit in properly.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 05:58 PM

Well I think your first problem was the upgrade to an insignia head unit.