Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Hw To: Amplifier and subs install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hw To: Amplifier and subs install

Well i have installed my amplifier and subs in my 08 lancer
Since there is no wire harness or dash kit for this car yet i had to improvise

First thing i did was solder some rca cables to the rear speaker wires.
to locate the wires i had to take apart the rear door. Woulda been eaiser if they kept the speakers near the back glass like previous lancer models.

To make it easier for anybody who wishes to do the same type of install. you can locate the 2 wires for the speakers by taking out the Pilar between the driver and passenger door. To remove the pilar cover you will first need to remove the front and back trim in the floor.

The 2 wires you need to tap into are yellow and a turquoise. Notice there will be 2 yellow ones but the you will need to tap into the yellow wire of the higher gauge (the thinner one). These cables come in from the door with all the other wires wrapped in black tape.

I have 2 subs to i did this for both sides. therefor brigning a total fo 2 conectors into the trunk.

Next i wired my 4 gauge cable with 100 amp fuse to the positive of the battery. I routed it in the firewall where the main wire harness comes in.

Then i connected my REM wire into the fuse box under the dash. I used a Add a fuse adaptor (15$) and added it to the 30Amp radio fuse.

Routed all cables under the trim and under the back seat,had to remove the back seat to remove the last peice of trim. The back seat is a clip on so pulling it up firmly from each corner (one corner at a time) unclamped it.

Plugged everything in. I had to turn the gain on my amp down very much because the stock radio is not very loud.

Hopefully this will helpfull for others.

Sorry no pics of the process if u cant do it whitout seeing pictures dont do it at all.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Good job. I was just getting ready to do this. Tired of waiting for Metra to release the kit. I was going to do a tutorial with pics.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

I started today but ran out of time. Dang it.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:08 AM

i was gonna take pictures of the process also, but my batteries whre dead for some reason, and i was tight for time.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 06:05 PM

I am about to install new speakers and a 4 channel in my 08.
What type of complications (if any) were involved the the door panel removal? That's my biggest concern, so that I don't mess up any plastic snap-in pieces.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 01:02 AM

I have a 200 watt RMS Pioneer sub in my 08 Lancer with an MTX amp rated at the same power. Even with a setup as low powered as that, I will tell you this:... Prepare for LOTS of annoying vibrations!!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as old as this thread is, can someone make a write-up with pictures on how to install an amplifier and subs? I suck at installing things
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

First thing i did was solder some rca cables to the rear speaker wires.
?!?! Wait. Don't follow this how-to.
(I realize this thread is old.)

RCA into the amp needs to be a line-level voltage between 0.2 and 8 volts (maximum, and only for some amps)

Use one of these instead - it's a line-out converter, and is what's needed to do this safely in any vehicle where you're tapping into already amplified lines for a signal.

http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/sisloc80.html

Then you won't have this:

I had to turn the gain on my amp down very much because the stock radio is not very loud.
The amplifier is seeing a very high input voltage, and that's why the output is so much. Even at the amp's lowest gain, the resulting output signal is huge. It's probably also clipped, which is what blows woofers.

Solution is to buy and use one of those LOC.

Last edited by theCybe; Sep 7, 2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info, i'm getting mine done tomorrow so i'll go and pick up an LOC today.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Quote From: The Cybe--?!?! [b]Wait. Don't follow this how-to. Solution is to buy and use one of those LOC.

Thanks for the info I got an LOC and had my subs and amp installed and it sounds great, I just need to get my door speaker swapped and whenever a dash kit comes out an aftermarket HU. But Thanks again!

Last edited by Hydrolikz; Sep 20, 2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: added who made the quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:28 PM

can some one show me a picture of how to thread power cable +12 through firewall to trunk, also how to connect remote behind cd player.?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by tuf-vrx
can some one show me a picture of how to thread power cable +12 through firewall to trunk, also how to connect remote behind cd player.?
There is a perfect hole that has a rubber grommet plugging it that goes from engine bay to interior.
Standing looking into the engine bay from the front of the car, it's located on the extreme left handside, behind the shock absorber/springs mount. It's just on the left hand side of brakes/ABS kit.

From inside the footwell, on left hand drive cars, it's behind the glove box and on right hand drive cars, it's very easily accessible on the drivers side without removing any panels or carpet...just stick your hand up in there and pull the grommet out.

Cut a decent hole in it and run your power cable through the firewall, plugging it back up with the grommet. Easy.

As fro the remote, don't stress about finding one off the rear of the deck...just make sure it's a switched 12v.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Prodigal
There is a perfect hole that has a rubber grommet plugging it that goes from engine bay to interior.
Standing looking into the engine bay from the front of the car, it's located on the extreme left handside, behind the shock absorber/springs mount. It's just on the left hand side of brakes/ABS kit.

From inside the footwell, on left hand drive cars, it's behind the glove box and on right hand drive cars, it's very easily accessible on the drivers side without removing any panels or carpet...just stick your hand up in there and pull the grommet out.

Cut a decent hole in it and run your power cable through the firewall, plugging it back up with the grommet. Easy.

As fro the remote, don't stress about finding one off the rear of the deck...just make sure it's a switched 12v.
can somebody post a picture of this? thanks!