Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Alarm for Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm for Evo

So ive been recently trying to decide on an alarm for the evolution? i was talking with some people today and they recommended a Python. I've also heard that clifford is also good. What do you guys think, or recommend?
Old Jul 12, 2003, 01:57 PM
Account Disabled

Im not too experienced with alarms so basically my plan was to get a good named brand 2 way pager(clifford, viper, compustar) from a shop and have them install it. Everyone seems to have their own opinions on whats good, so Im just going to go for whatever works.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 03:54 PM
N/A
Evolving Member

I thought Clifford and Viper were made by the same company? I've had a Clifford before and it worked great. I've also had OnStar in a car and liked it but I doubt I'd get it again. Maybe if I already had an alarm and money to blow.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Most reliable alarm company out there is DEI. They are the makers of Python, Viper, Hornet, Sidewinder, Clifford and Avital. Their Sidewinder, Viper and Python all share same features but with different branding. Marketing and territorial strategies. Keep it simple when dealing with alarms. The basics are multiple stage shock sensor, Light FLash and siren. Door, trunk and hood triggers are also nice.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 09:17 AM

Hrmm..not a big fan of DEI products myself. I've had 2 of their alarms die on me...one cost me my car. I opted for an Alpine alarm this time around, I've always had very good luck with them..and the features matched what I wanted.

-Bedlam
Old Jul 18, 2003, 04:28 PM

Directed Electronics (DEI) Products are the most reliable products in the mobile electronics industry. I am new to this forum and a new Evo owner; I almost opted for the STI.

I am going to be bias to Directed Products of course because I work for them, but I have to say I spent 15 as an installer before I joined Directed and they are by far the easiest and most reliable products I have ever worked with. Directed owns many patents licensed to other manufactures of security products and is by far the largest. Directed owns Viper, Clifford (Clifford is a totally different manufactured security system then Viper), Python, Valet, Hornet, Sidewinder, Rattler and Avital. Directed also owns Orion, PPI, Directed Audio (holds the world record for SPL), Viper Audio and ADS home and car audio.

The new 2ways units coming this next month with have revised killer looking remotes, Viper will be Blue, Python will be black and Clifford will be carbon fiber. They will also have a turbo timer feature and one extra aux output. Their will also and option to have a one-way remote add on, they also are very attractive.

I will be installing the new Viper 791XV in my Evo this weekend, I will also install an 508D radar sensor, 515R battery back up siren and a trunk solenoid. I plan to install the Viper GPS tracking system the following weekend.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by hitman007
Directed Electronics (DEI) Products are the most reliable products in the mobile electronics industry. I am new to this forum and a new Evo owner; I almost opted for the STI.

I am going to be bias to Directed Products of course because I work for them,
I'm about to install a 700T to augment the factory keyless entry system. Does DEI have a harness kit for the Lancer?
Old Jul 26, 2003, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Viper is a good brand. I suggest Viper790VX. I'm getting this alarm for my Evo for $349 installed as soon as I got the time.
Attached Thumbnails Alarm for Evo-viper.jpg  
Old Jul 26, 2003, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

while on the subject, not to hijack..

maybe people here know of alarms that work flawlessly with turbo timers (activate while car is still running!)
Old Jul 26, 2003, 06:15 PM

security system

I just had the DEI Hornet installed in my EVO. They were able to integarde it into the factory lock/unlock remote so the alrm sets when I lock the doors. I also had them install a backup battery siren in case they cut the power to the car. No hood pin switch was installed because they always fail.

Basic alarm with shock sensor and backup battery siren installed for 250.00
Old Jul 27, 2003, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Re: security system

Originally posted by 0to60n5
I just had the DEI Hornet installed in my EVO. They were able to integarde it into the factory lock/unlock remote so the alrm sets when I lock the doors. I also had them install a backup battery siren in case they cut the power to the car. No hood pin switch was installed because they always fail.

Basic alarm with shock sensor and backup battery siren installed for 250.00
In general it appears to be a simple install (e.g. not that many wires). Some alarm systems have an adapter harness such that the install is plug-and-play. Not only does this make the install clean it also tends to hide the alarm if someone attempts to bypass it (i.e. crimp connectors give things away).
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Alarm=noisemaker...no one ever pays attention to an alarm ever, seriously unless you are getting a lo-jack or some sort of tracking device its essentially a really expensive noisemaker.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:46 PM

lo-jack...? If my car is stolen, i WONT want it back! Time for a new car
Old Oct 4, 2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 350ZTrack2Evo8
lo-jack...? If my car is stolen, i WONT want it back! Time for a new car
i agree with you %100
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

a friend of mine has this alarm that he's able to track his car from his iphone which also comes with a batt back up he pays $15 bux a month for service

Quick Reply: Alarm for Evo