Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Carpet and Subs keep sliding...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carpet and Subs keep sliding...

I have a fairly large ported box for my 2 12" infiniti's..and they always move around

my question is does anyone have any tricks to getting the carpet so it doesn't slide around, and also the same for the subs? Every time i accelerate and stop they move around and eventually just messes up my whole trunk..some one recomended velcro(sp?) but it didnt work out so well..any ideas?
Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2 things you can do is:

1] Buy 2 inch, double sided carpet tape, and that may cure the problem. Try Waltmart, or a Carpet Supply Store.

2] Buy a rubber, non-skit Carpet Pad. They make several types, for Area Rugs and Carpet Runners. Sears may carry this. Any Carpet Store that sell Rugs will also have them.

If all else fails, use spray-on contact cement. Spray the bottom of the rug, and the trunk floor. Let it get tacky, and then press firm.

Good luck.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Carpet glue or nail gun.

For the box, use "L" brackets.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
If all else fails, use spray-on contact cement. Spray the bottom of the rug, and the trunk floor. Let it get tacky, and then press firm.

Good luck.

And if he ever needs his spare, he'd have to rip it off, potentially ripping the carpet, and have to redo everything over again. I'd advise against that.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:25 PM

I used the carpet as a template and used MDF wood and made some panels so I can screw my box on it sandwiching the carpet. I used wing nuts so I don't need tools to take the sub out.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sgand
And if he ever needs his spare, he'd have to rip it off, potentially ripping the carpet, and have to redo everything over again. I'd advise against that.

If you glue the carpet to the wood board that rests on the trunk floor, you can still take the wood board out, with the carpet glued to it, since the carpet is glue to the wood board, not the car frame or body, .

That is all I was saying.

Last edited by 04AWDTURBOEVO; Oct 30, 2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Re-wrote 1 sentence to be more people friendly.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

yea ill hafta look around to see wut i can get hopefully sumthin works out for me...thanks
Old Oct 30, 2007, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

I used L brackets on 4 sides of the box. I dont have a single issue with sliding. I screws down through the carpet into the wooden cover of the spare tire. $6 at home depot.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
If you glue the carpet to the wood board that rests on the trunk floor, you can still take the wood board out, with the carpet glued to it, since the carpet is glue to the wood board, not the car frame or body, .

That is all I was saying.

Well then.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 01:50 PM

all you need is some spray on glue and glue your carpet mat in your car trunk to the piece of card board in your turn. i had the very same problem
Old Dec 6, 2007, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

i probably have a pretty cheap system compared to you guys, i have my box pushed all the way up against the back of the passenger seats, my car jack expanded on one side, and a piece of wood on the other to keep it from shifting place laterally, and a sinlge piece of wood wedged inbetween the box and the rear of the trunk to keep it from moving back and forth,

easy to take in and out, and wont leave any drill holes or anything.
pretty much just using boards wedged inbetween the box and trunk to keep it from moving, which also keeps the carpet from sliding,

works for me, and it didnt cost any money!!
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

yea i ended up just cutin down some 3/4" ply wood i had layin around the house..stuck it between the back of the trunk and the box so it doesn't slideback..and the box is wide enough so it doesn't slide side to side much..

problem solved
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by joeyj
i probably have a pretty cheap system compared to you guys, i have my box pushed all the way up against the back of the passenger seats, my car jack expanded on one side, and a piece of wood on the other to keep it from shifting place laterally, and a sinlge piece of wood wedged inbetween the box and the rear of the trunk to keep it from moving back and forth
lol that's awesome

i removed my original board under the carpet because the guy that owned the car before had subs in it, tried to get the spare out, and tore it, so i have particle board under my carpet, but i used 2" velcro, under the box and under the carpet, it works great for me