Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

more bad news.....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more bad news.....

1st my tailight stops working (other thread)...and now (sniff sniff) my W7 has blown out....but its weird though...i havent played my music REALLY loud...and whenever i press on the actual speaker while its playing...the sound is fine...it sort of makes a rattle noise while I play it....does that sound like a lost cause..or should i try to invest in something new (jl audio haters dont respond to that lol)
Old Nov 8, 2007, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like what one of my Polk Momos did! Check the wires to the terminals, one of mine became loose and lost connectivity. Soldered it up good now though...
Old Nov 8, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

that could be the case...cuz my cousin did mail it to me as a bday gift...maybe something could shook lose or something....ill try that
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

If you say you weren't playing the stereo loud I doubt you blew a W7... they can take a lot of power... sounds more likely that there is/was a short somewhere along the line and caused the voice coil to burn. Could also be how it's wired up or how it's mounted, was the sub ever in contact with anything in your trunk?... Even something bumping into it while it was playing could throw off the voice coil and then it wouldn't be linear anymore.

I would look into repairing the sub... it's worth checking out... this is an expensive sub and if it could be repaired reasonably cheap then it'd be worth it.

Hope this helps,

Nick
Old Nov 8, 2007, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

what are you powering the sub with..and was the sub used when u received it?

i don't see how you could blow a w7 unless your giving it a rediculous amount of power and turned it waaay loud..im not rly a fan of JL (dont ask why im just not) but this sub is a great sub ...it must be something else..check and make sure its not sumthing simple also...sometimes it can be the easiest fix
Old Nov 9, 2007, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

It's be more likely it's a physical part that broke (wire or something) or that it was ran at an improper impendance or had alot of interference in the line that "blew" it.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

hmmmm thanks guys...i think maybe the problem might be the fact that my sub was facing the side of my trunk and maybe it could have been bumping against my wall....generally how much do you guys think it would be to fix a voice coil
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nawgee
generally how much do you guys think it would be to fix a voice coil
i have nooooo idea..lol sry