Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Big Scare

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2003, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Scare

alright, i was wiring up some speakers, and all of a sudden the HU and the amp would turn on, then off, then on, repeadedly, like every second. naturally i dashed up to the front and i tried to remove the key, but there was no key there.

i removed the faceplate, thinking it would solve the problem (my brain was overloading, i didnt wanna harm anything) then i ran in the back and unplugged the rca's from the amp. this seemed to do the trick, but then everyting smelled like a strange, not good, smoke. i traced it to the hu, but when i turned it on, it still works fine. i found that the negative of one of the channel outputs of the amp was touching the ground of the amp.

so i fixed everything up and wired it, then went for a drive to get rid of the smoke smell. i cranked it, and kept cranking cause it wasnt getting any louder, then i stopped, and it faded out to nothing, so i freaked again and turned off the hu. i pulled over and unplugged the rca's again, and luckily the hu still works. i'm gonna scrap my wiring and start over, but does anybody know what's goin on?
Old Jul 29, 2003, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

you could have fried one of the preouts.

other than that, i'd ask higgity hank.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

hmm, you could be right. i'll check it out

EDIT: everything still works normal, it just crapped out when i turned the volume up real loud. i always cranked it, but not until i messed with the wiring. what did i screw up? what would cause it to start frying when played loud?

Last edited by SICKdimension; Jul 29, 2003 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

theres nothing worse than the smell of a burning resistor when your wiring.

A)The Smell
B)The fact you just ****ed **** up.

worst smell EVER
Old Jul 29, 2003, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

if a fuse in your amp didn't break properly, it would give you that nice burnt plastic smell. i'd check those first. my buddies amp did the same thing, and just melted the whole fuse.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by purecoda
if a fuse in your amp didn't break properly, it would give you that nice burnt plastic smell. i'd check those first. my buddies amp did the same thing, and just melted the whole fuse.
if the fuse didn't break, that burnt plastic smell is a wire melting. meaning you could have some serious problems if you don't find that wire, remove and replace it. most likely, i don't know exactly what you did....but the speakers are not on a fused line. so by connecting one of the speaker wires directly to ground, you created a nice link for current to just eat through your speaker wire, and your speaker....

what i would do is take that entire wire out, check the make sure the speaker still works properly and isn't blown. you might have damaged the speaker. but definitely remove that wire, because if it melted it has the posibility of having an open connection with which to short to ground somewhere in the car, causing further damage.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

is there a reason you did not unplug the negative terminal on the battery?
Old Jul 30, 2003, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

If the radio came on without a key in it, the problem did not originate from the amp. This is assuming that the radio and amp were wired properly from the beginning. You appear to be having a HU problem. Power does not travel down the outputs until you have Constant/Switched/Remote and ground. Without the key in, there would be no switched nor remote.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

i think mrdecibel is on to something, because i dont know if i mentioned it, but the hu is the thing that smells like smoke, not the amp, or wires. and its not burnt plastic, either. now i wish i would have unplugged the negative, but i never did before and had no problems.

since then, i removed the fuse to power the amp, and i removed the rca's from the amp, and the hu still seems to work fine. it seems quieter, but that might be because the subs aren't hooked up. i'm gonna take the hu out and see if i can find anything back there.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

It is possible that you somehow connected your h/u and amp directly to continuous power.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

i've had my hu and amp running for 2 months now, no problems, then i was wiring some speakers to the amp when this all happened. i believe everything is wired correctly. i just pulled out the hu and everything seems fine. the right front negative seemed loose, but other than that, no melted wires or anything, and i turned it up loud and it works. now i'm gonna pull out all my wires from amp and start over back there. hopefully theres no damage, (although the hu still smells like smoke if you get real close to it)
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

here's the diagram i had goin. it did work, until i crossed those wires. anyone that knows about wiring have a better idea for me or will this work fine. as you can see, channel 2 has quite a load, but it's never powering it all at once, it's either the 1 speaker, or the set of 2 speakers. anyone that can help, please do so, because i'm gonna tear out my wiring and start over.
Attached Thumbnails Big Scare-diagram.jpg  
Old Aug 1, 2003, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

here's the new diagram that i have set up. seems to work just fine, but how can i include the other 2 speakers. any wiring experts out there know what to do. keep in mind that from channel 2 it will power either the single speaker or the pair, but never both at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails Big Scare-diagram2.jpg  
Old Aug 1, 2003, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dry erase board with a scanner?

that's different.
most people would ahve used paint.

could you ahve possible hit the power to the amp to your HU rca's? that would cause some funky things.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

no dry erase board, its photoshop. and thanks for the suggestion, but nope, definitely didnt do that

good thing is everything still seems to work fine. i just gotta figure out a way to wire everything, and i think i just found it. i'll post back what i did later.

Quick Reply: Big Scare