Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Stock Rockford Sub Enclosure cu ft?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Rockford Sub Enclosure cu ft?

Does any one know or can some one measure the stock rockford sub enclosure cubic feet for me?? You can do this by removing the sub out and measure how many buckets of water you can fill it up. or you can use packing penuts to measure the enclosure. I want to see if i can mount a Jl audio 13TW5 sub in the stock sub enclosure with minimal modifications. I plan to re-fiberglass the stock sub enclosure because i want to use the stock brackets.

Last edited by Red Dragon; Apr 26, 2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

GL finding someone to fill up their box with water! LOL
Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

well you take out the sub. let the water dry out before putting it back together
Old Apr 18, 2008, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

lol theres no room in that box for anything but that speaker basically
Old Apr 19, 2008, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

ummm that why we modify it. i just want to know how big the sub box is to i know how much i need to expand it.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

IMO start fresh and build a nice and flusher box
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

why dont u just fill the one you have with water...instead of asking someone else to..

or maybe you could ask the dealer they may know
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i agree on the start fresh and make a custom box for the new speaker.
Old May 23, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or you could take out your sub, and use a measuring tape to find out the internal dimensions. in case you didn't know Volume = length X width X height. If you want cubic feet, divide the number you got in inches by 12.

Why would you fill it with water?!?!?!?
Old May 23, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

just looking at the box, I'd have to say it would have to be about 1 ft^3 or less... 1.5 ft^3 in a long shot.

I have a .6 ft^3 I built for a 10" Polk way back when and it's slighly larger than the stock RF box in my Lancer. Then again, the box I built way back when is also made of .75" MDF
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Wow. You guys are dumb. The water method was just an easy method of measuring volume and problaly the easiest way to measure volume. It was only an idea to measue volume. There is may ways to measue volume. The density water is minimal an can be consider a constant, making it very accurate to measure volume. I know some of you have already taken the sub out and are not using it so you have plenty of time to let the water dry out.
I think everyone on here has passed grade 8 math. So we all know how to measure volume of a square box. Just to let you know the stock sub box is NOT a perfect square. A curved area is alot harder to measure. Trying to measure the volume of the box in mathamaticaly requires you to model out the box and requires alot of calculation. I am in second year engineering i would know how complicated it is measure the volume of a irregular shape, with many curves.
I also do not have my car yet. I have a Evo X MR coming here. If i did have it i would have measured it out my self.
I also said specifically that i was going to refiberglass the sub box. I wanted to know the volume of the box so i know how much volume i need to increase. The only reason i want to refiberglass the sub box is becasue i can use the stock mounting location. I do not want to use ratchet straps or drill holes to mount my sub box.

FYI the stock sub box is .70cu ft. That is enough air space to mount a JL 10w1.

Last edited by Red Dragon; Jun 14, 2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 02:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
Wow. You guys are dumb. The water method was just an easy method of measuring volume and problaly the easiest way to measure volume. It was only an idea to measue volume. There is may ways to measue volume. The density water is minimal an can be consider a constant, making it very accurate to measure volume. I know some of you have already taken the sub out and are not using it so you have plenty of time to let the water dry out.
I think everyone on here has passed grade 8 math. So we all know how to measure volume of a square box. Just to let you know the stock sub box is NOT a perfect square. A curved area is alot harder to measure. Trying to measure the volume of the box in mathamaticaly requires you to model out the box and requires alot of calculation. I am in second year engineering i would know how complicated it is measure the volume of a irregular shape, with many curves.
I also do not have my car yet. I have a Evo X MR coming here. If i did have it i would have measured it out my self.
I also said specifically that i was going to refiberglass the sub box. I wanted to know the volume of the box so i know how much volume i need to increase. The only reason i want to refiberglass the sub box is becasue i can use the stock mounting location. I do not want to use ratchet straps or drill holes to mount my sub box.

FYI the stock sub box is .70cu ft. That is enough air space to mount a JL 10w1.
not very nice