Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Installed Aftermarket CD player, Instument Panel Light now working!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Aftermarket CD player, Instument Panel Light now working!!!

Hello All,

I just installed a JVC aftermarket Cd player. Now my intsrument panel, hvac and cigarette lighter (LIGHTS ONLY) do not work. THEY FUNCTION BUT THE LIGHTS DO NOT WORK. I followed the instructions provided to the point. Ive also checked all of the fuses. Fuse # 20 keeps on failing on me. Any suggestions?

Last edited by MitsuNewbie; Apr 25, 2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

sounds like a short somewhere maybe?

you prolly bumped a wire and loosened the connection to the lights check all the connections..if you dont know what your doing really you might be better off taking it somewhere before something gets worse

and what kind of car is this?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Go back in and disconnect the illumination/dimmer wire (usually orange) from your stereo harness that you wired up. This wire is not needed to install the stereo and 90% of the time will cause the fuse to blow. As for the fuse, you will have to look in the fuse panel and replace the blown one, it should be a 10 amp and say something about illumination or instrument cluster.

Since I don't know for sure what year we are dealing with, I can't give you more exact instructions.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
Go back in and disconnect the illumination/dimmer wire (usually orange) from your stereo harness that you wired up. This wire is not needed to install the stereo and 90% of the time will cause the fuse to blow. As for the fuse, you will have to look in the fuse panel and replace the blown one, it should be a 10 amp and say something about illumination or instrument cluster.

Since I don't know for sure what year we are dealing with, I can't give you more exact instructions.
Thanks for the ANSWER! That was it. For some reason the wiring harness that I bought at Walmart, had a jumper set between the dimmer and the illumination. Once a pulled out the jumper everything was fine. I did have to replace the fuse in the engine compartment a 7.5 amp. Thanks a bunch!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Not a problem.

Like I said, 90% of the cars I have worked on will blow the fuse if you hook up the illumination wire straight. I've worked on anything from Geo Metros to Porsches to classic cars like a 56 Bel Air.