Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Preventing your GTS from being stolen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preventing your GTS from being stolen

I just heard my sister in-law f-150 was stolen from the front of her yard and it had a factory alarm.
I am thinking if it could get stolen and not have any modifications (AM wheels etc...) done to it then my car should be an at risk vehicle with all the modifications done to it.

The point of this thread is to post tips and tricks on how to prevent car theft and what works.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

I installed the AutoPage 900 series LCD remote alarm, it tells me the status of my vehicle at all times. It sends a signal to my LCD remote letting me know if it is being broken into, disturbed or ignition was tampered with or if the car was turned on.

I think there has to be a better solution, I feel my alarm is vulnerable. with all the money going into the car i think it is only logical to invest in security features.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it will take a little while longer before a hack for the imobilizer is figured out, a F150 is hardly difficult to steal, it hasnt changed its design in years. But I agree, an alarm system is needed.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:05 PM

Buy those "clubs" which you put across your steering wheel. Although you can get around it by cutting through the steering wheel it does it extra work and more time for the thieves (time which every thief doesn't have a lot of).

Another thing is the radio transmitter which can be installed into your car in a hidden place. If your car gets stolen you can phone your law enforcement agency and they can track the device's transmitter. I don't know the exact details because I don't think they offer it here where I live in Canada but I've read it is offered in the states.

Those are the two things I can think of.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

if you do the tephra mod to your vehicle inside the Ecuflash forums you can set your car to autovallet with a really low rev limit. this will prevent your car from starting without first holding the gas pedal down before you start for a certain amout of time. its a good mod because it is built into the cars computer, no matter if they reset the battery, or hack the starter, the thing still cant start
Old May 2, 2008, 05:57 PM

My 08 has a little red sticker on the drivers side window that says it has "Police Tracking," that means if it does get stolen, the police can track it to whereever it is. I guess this isnt something they put in every 08?
Old May 10, 2008, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

Yep I don't have one of those

Originally Posted by Hawnz22
My 08 has a little red sticker on the drivers side window that says it has "Police Tracking," that means if it does get stolen, the police can track it to whereever it is. I guess this isnt something they put in every 08?
Old May 10, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

One thing I've always recommended to customers especially when doing a new alarm install is investing in a battery backup siren.

For the $ it's one of the best things you can add to any standard alarm system and will attract the most attention.

The way it works is the backup siren is connected directly to the battery and receives either a postive or negative signal from your alarm system. Typically, you would connect the positive signal wire from the backup siren to your alarm system's siren wire.

When the alarm trips, the backup siren works with it... if the crook pops the hood and cuts the main siren wire... the backup keeps going. Even if the wires are cut. The only way to shut it up is either with the alarm remote or with a key on the backup siren itself.

You can also invest in tracking systems... but I know that this doesn't necessarily prevent theft... because some guys are good enough that they can have your car on the highway and find the tracking system quicker than the tracking team can locate or catch up to your car.

I've installed many Boomerang systems and Vigil GPS systems... and they work.. don't get me wrong... and it is one extra preventative measure... but for the money... I don't think it does as good of a job.

I've done 6 battery backup sirens in one vehicle before.... this vehicle kept getting stolen and recovered over and over... the last time they tried they didn't even make it to the end of the street... all six sirens going off at 120db+... they left the doors open and bolted... LOL

Hope this helps,

Nick
Old May 11, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

If the alarm is installed properly, nobody should be able to find the siren or wires easy enough to get it in time. I have one spot that I always install mine it that you would never think to look, and actually have to take quite a bit apart to get to it anyways. Another thing you could try is a fuel pump kill switch. Starter kill is too common anymore. If you have a fuel kill, nobody will think to look for it.
Old May 19, 2008, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hawnz22
Like this?

Old May 19, 2008, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Out of the paging devices the best one I can find is the Viper 7900. I hate the idea of having two separate devices since I have the FAST key...
Old May 19, 2008, 02:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nathan0490
Like this?

thats asking for trouble lol, people would steal it out of spite

Old May 19, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

No matter what you put on the car, if the thief wants it bad enough they WILL take it; you can only make it more difficult to take, and easier to recover. Even if you make the car "impossible to start", there are thieves out there that have flat bed trucks. So, like I said, if they want it bad enough, they'll still take it.

LoJack is the most popular vehicle recovery system on the market.

Your best bet for not having your vehicle taken from home is to not park it where it's visible from the street. I know that isn't always an option. It isn't for me.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by majestic*
One thing I've always recommended to customers especially when doing a new alarm install is investing in a battery backup siren.

For the $ it's one of the best things you can add to any standard alarm system and will attract the most attention.

The way it works is the backup siren is connected directly to the battery and receives either a postive or negative signal from your alarm system. Typically, you would connect the positive signal wire from the backup siren to your alarm system's siren wire.

When the alarm trips, the backup siren works with it... if the crook pops the hood and cuts the main siren wire... the backup keeps going. Even if the wires are cut. The only way to shut it up is either with the alarm remote or with a key on the backup siren itself.

You can also invest in tracking systems... but I know that this doesn't necessarily prevent theft... because some guys are good enough that they can have your car on the highway and find the tracking system quicker than the tracking team can locate or catch up to your car.

I've installed many Boomerang systems and Vigil GPS systems... and they work.. don't get me wrong... and it is one extra preventative measure... but for the money... I don't think it does as good of a job.

I've done 6 battery backup sirens in one vehicle before.... this vehicle kept getting stolen and recovered over and over... the last time they tried they didn't even make it to the end of the street... all six sirens going off at 120db+... they left the doors open and bolted... LOL

Hope this helps,

Nick
Thank you Majestic, that is exactly what I was looking for when creating this thread. I want to help everyone and invite more input on how we can protect our vehicles as we continue to invest money in performance and visuals.

Thanks again.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by nunyas
No matter what you put on the car, if the thief wants it bad enough they WILL take it; you can only make it more difficult to take, and easier to recover. Even if you make the car "impossible to start", there are thieves out there that have flat bed trucks. So, like I said, if they want it bad enough, they'll still take it.

LoJack is the most popular vehicle recovery system on the market.

Your best bet for not having your vehicle taken from home is to not park it where it's visible from the street. I know that isn't always an option. It isn't for me.
My plans are to put in the lojack system, but not right now until I get maybe a turbo put in. For now I have the autopage RS900 as my security and the front gate of my complex which I think wont help much but its there atleast. I know the little tow trucks that dont have a flat bed but have the 2 anchors on the back can just back up and control everyting from inside without even getting out of the vehicle and take your car but we still need to take measures to get some sort of early detection.