Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

How can I connect to switched/constant power?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How can I connect to switched/constant power?

At some point I would like to install a Homelink rear-view mirror in my 08 Lancer.

http://www.aaaremotes.com/aurevimiwiho.html

After surveying the situation, it seems easy enough to tuck a wire from the mirror into the headliner; it is also easy enough to remove the A-pillar trim to run wire down the A-pillar and under the dash.

Here's what I don't know: How to connect the mirror to power. I believe it would need a connection to switched power and a connection to constant battery power.

Can anyone out there direct me to a good how-to page, or does anyone care to write a how-to?
Old Nov 15, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

what i did was hardwire my radar detector to acceossyr power. this can easily be done, look in your manual for the Fuse thats in the drivers compartment that goes to the 12V accessory near the shifter.

then you can use a fuse tap

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fuse-Tap-Adaptor-Adapter-Automotive-Atm-Mini-Fuses-Fuse_W0QQitemZ350125542116QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_E lectronics_Installation?hash=item350125542116&_trk sid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A1 2|39%3A1|240%3A1318

the fuse tap basically just goes along the side of the fuse so it gets power and eliminates any splicing. i used these exact ones from this seller for my radar. I actually have several left over i could mail you one if you wnat to take this route. or you can just buy from that guy and have extras (i broke 1-2 while doing it, by broke i meant bent the tap out of shape)

those are the exact ones to get, they are a bi*ch to get in right but they save any splicing of wires.

this is 1 of many ways to do it, and is probably the easiest way.

pm me if you want me to mail you one
Old Nov 15, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the answer. I appreciate you making the offer to send me one! However, I don't even know yet if I'll get the mirror. If I actually get to the point of doing something, then maybe I'll get back to you.

I assume I could do the same thing with a lead to a constant power source.

By the way, did you check to see if you tapped into the "hot" side or the side protected by the fuse? I guess you could check which side is which by testing with a voltmeter.

Cheers,

Mark