Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

REMOTE START=HUGE PROBLEM..please help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down REMOTE START=HUGE PROBLEM..please help

Hi.
I had a local installer put a remote start/alarm prestige model xro9100 on my car today (2008 Lancer GTS NO fast key). He had everything installed and couldnt find info on how to tap the trunk wire. He said he tapped to the wire that he thought was the trunk wire.."freakin idiot". Now when I try to unlock my car from inside or the remote the trunk opens, the door locks dont open, the seat belt and airbag light light up below the radio, and a clicking sound under the hood occurs (relay I beleive). Well now im extremely p'sd. He says he has to take it to the dealer because he believes he fried the "tcm". Please help....anyone know what could have happened. He also took the alarm off, unhooked the battery for 1 hours and the problem is still there. THANKS.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Definately would suggest ripping it all out, get the vehicle working like it should (back to stock), get an authorized / certified installer to put the same or a new unit in.

You definately should not have these issues once it's installed. All of the unit's functions and features should have been tested before being hooked up and also tested before giving the vehicle back to you.

I do remote starters day in and day out and never "guess" on wire connections or take chances hooking up something that I am not sure about. Today's newer vehicles depend on the vehicle's computer system to talk to so many components that it is not always as simple as just hooking up a wire and see if it works. That's where a multimeter comes into play.

Sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing and I wouldn't trust him to touch my car again. Send him the bill to have the unit removed, the dealership repair to fix it and put it back to stock and to have a new unit professionally installed.

Hope this helps,

Nick
Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:37 PM

majestic any idea what happened to the car...he removed the entire alarm and its still doing it?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most likely since he tripped the airbag light its gonna need to be reset by the dealer, a simple batter disconnect probably will not reset the airbag light. As far as the trunk opening, a good installer should know which wire to tap into and how to program it, I got my Autopage RF420 installed and initially the installer didnt hook up the trunk pin because he wasnt sure and after he found a clearer diagram online he hooked it up and everything works well.

Also, the way car alarms work is they send the same signals your car would send to your doors, trunk, ignition kill as your car would when you push lock/unlock/trunk or when you try to start the car and its currently "armed". So if he wired it up wrong then the brain of the alarm was sending signals to things/wires that are not supposed to receive such a pulse or voltage high, sending voltage/pulses to things that dont or arent supposed to get them probably caused some harm.

I suggest looking around at the wires he tapped and goolgle and find out what they do.

Last edited by lancer0220; Dec 2, 2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

He most likely sent a positive or negative pulse to the wrong wire or something fed back through another wire that should have been diode isolated.

It's hard for me to tell without seeing what he did. Most likely, the unit sends negative pulses for locks, trunk release and needs to see negative door pins and trunk pins... he could have screwed a number of things up.

I'm willing to bet that your engine control module or body control module is screwed... that's why it's still doing it with the alarm removed... the damage is already done. You need to get the vehicle fixed and put back to stock. Then drive to Ontario Canada and pay me a visit and I'll put it in right for you....hehe
Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:49 PM

Talking

thanks everyone for your help...got the car back today and everything works perfect. Turns out the installer (cough..so he likes to call himself) back tracked everything he did and found he "unplugged" something he forget to plug back in. These alarms and remote starts are a foreign language to me so he could be bull****ting. I'm gonna take the car to a different installer and have everything checked again. Anyone have any suggestions in the chicago area? Thanks again guys.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Make sure who installs the alarm also printed out an electrical diagram, he will need this to tap into the correct wires.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:30 PM

i was wondering whats a good remote start for a manual? i dont have the factory alarm and i always wanted a remote start
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^I'm guessing any alarm would work. But the clutch sensor would have to be modified and you're gonna have to leave the car in neutral at all times.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:47 AM

compustar or most anything DEI
Old Jan 15, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

the air bag code is a "HARD CODE" it can only be cleared with a scan tool. Disconnecting the battery will not clear it but i was told if you disconnect both wires from the battery and touch them together and then put them back on the battery it should clear the ecu.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by flambouyantdude
i was wondering whats a good remote start for a manual? i dont have the factory alarm and i always wanted a remote start
my cousin has a remote start with a manual... she has to leave it in neutral and they had to do a clutch bypass.. she also had to sign a waiver saying she claims all responsibility and that the shop that perform the installation has no liability..
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

There is a way to wire up a relay that activates when the remote start is activated. You do not want to bypass the clutch switch else you'll lose the "cruise control turn off at clutch press in???". Thats how i have mines. always leave it in neutral and i use the ebrake as the ground signal to the remote start.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Definatly have the dealership get it back to stock......and bring it to someone with certifications in the field not just some shop! don't be afraid to ask if they are certified and have them show you their certificates!-JOEYD

Last edited by redboosted05; Jan 18, 2009 at 12:06 PM.