Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

What kind of amp would be needed to power two of these?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of amp would be needed to power two of these?

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=4

they're 400rms... DVC 4ohm

Also how would I wire it up from the amp? Would I need a cap for it?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nevaeh
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=4

they're 400rms... DVC 4ohm

Also how would I wire it up from the amp? Would I need a cap for it?
Those subs are actually about 600watts rms. Honestly more then one is just overkill. I had one in my 03 lancer and one in my 05 rsx. With the proper box and amp it will be more then loud enough. I personally would recommend the jl 500/1. That is what im currently running and those amps stay the same power out from 1.5-4ohms(11V-14.5V). If you do decide to get two this amp will still be enough for these two subs. You will get a consistent 500watts rms from this amp.http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=439

As far as the wiring goes you can run it in either series or parallel. Here is an example of how each would be done with a single subwoofer. http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...s.asp?Q=1&I=42

If you run two of these subs with with the 500/1 you would have to run them in series/parallel. On this second link you want the bottom wiring diagram, not the top as the jl amp can only go down to 1.5 ohms. http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...s.asp?Q=2&I=42
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you for your reply, I am currently in a bidding war on two of these at ebay so well see but I am def interested in them lol...
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Oh and one more thing, if I wire them per the second diagram, at a 4 ohm load, would it be 500wrms to each speakers? or 250rms to each speaker?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

since they are both dual 4 ohm, they can be wired at the amp down to 1 ohm together. find an amp that is 1 x 1000 watts RMS @ 1 ohm, 1 channel, 1000 watts, 1 ohm stable.....i recommend Hifonics amps....very powerful and good quality and low price! you could get the BXi 1210D for those subs and they would sound awesome.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
since they are both dual 4 ohm, they can be wired at the amp down to 1 ohm together. find an amp that is 1 x 1000 watts RMS @ 1 ohm, 1 channel, 1000 watts, 1 ohm stable.....i recommend Hifonics amps....very powerful and good quality and low price! you could get the BXi 1210D for those subs and they would sound awesome.
could you please go into more detail? how would wiring a 4ohm speaker down to 1 ohm be good for the speaker? How does Hifonics do in handling crossover, and sound filtering? I am going to be using a RCA out for the subs.. with the subs wired down to 1ohm on this amp, what would be the constant wattage they're getting?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

I disagree with this statement. These subs are not meant to run down to 1ohm. Thats not my opinion that is a fact stated by a JL audio rep. Also as far as running the w6v2 with a 1000watts rms that is just asking for trouble. These subs are not like the w7 you had, they will eventually blow running at that low of an ohm/wattage. While the Hifonics are a nice entry level amp, I would suggest spending a bit more money and get something mid range. Sundown Audio makes some amazing amps and they are very reasonable priced. I suggest picking up the saz-1000d. They are on sale right now for $275 plus shipping. At 2ohms the amp can push out 600watts rms. This would still be in the safe zone for these subs.
http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.ph...saz-1000d.html
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

With the above statement, wired at 2ohms with a 600rms amp, how many watts would each sub see?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

could you please go into more detail? how would wiring a 4ohm speaker down to 1 ohm be good for the speaker? How does Hifonics do in handling crossover, and sound filtering? I am going to be using a RCA out for the subs.. with the subs wired down to 1ohm on this amp, what would be the constant wattage they're getting?
less resistance = more power, better sound. what do you mean RCA out? they would be getting 1200 watts RMS at 1 ohm on that amp.

Originally Posted by Evodreamer28
I disagree with this statement. These subs are not meant to run down to 1ohm. Thats not my opinion that is a fact stated by a JL audio rep. Also as far as running the w6v2 with a 1000watts rms that is just asking for trouble. These subs are not like the w7 you had, they will eventually blow running at that low of an ohm/wattage. While the Hifonics are a nice entry level amp, I would suggest spending a bit more money and get something mid range. Sundown Audio makes some amazing amps and they are very reasonable priced. I suggest picking up the saz-1000d. They are on sale right now for $275 plus shipping. At 2ohms the amp can push out 600watts rms. This would still be in the safe zone for these subs.
http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.ph...saz-1000d.html
ahh it seems as if you have little car audio experience. each sub wont be running at 1 ohm, BOTH subs TOGETHER will be running at 1 ohm. EACH sub will be running at 2 ohms. if you have 2 dual 4 ohm subwoofers and you wire them in parallel, that means at the AMPLIFIER, the resistance will be 1 ohm. same with dual 2 ohm subs, if you wire 2 dual 2 ohm subs in parallel, there will be a FINAL impedance of 0.5 ohm. think this is also false? check www.jlaudio.com under the mobile sound support section and go to subwoofer wiring for dual voice coil subs. this is why i am not a fan of Kicker and JL amps, because none of their amps are really 1 ohm stable. JL and Kicker make you buy one amp for each subwoofer, so you can run them each at 2 ohm. LESS RESISTANCE = BETTER SOUND. why do you think really high end equipment is 0.5 ohm stable? BECAUSE IT GETS MORE POWER. also, it seems you cant add. if you are running 2 subs on one amp, you ADD the RMS wattages of the sub together to find what wattage amp you need. 400 rms x2 = 800 RMS. JL can handle more than that definitely, and Hifonics isnt really CEA-2006 compliant, but they still but out a lot of power. 800 watts RMS, especially JL, on a Hifonics 1200 watt amp would be perfect. I know Sundown makes great stuff, I agree there, im just speaking from personal experience that Hifonics is also a great amp and is very cheap in price, not quality.

also, I did not have W7s, I had Kicker L7s....louder and cheaper, got 2 brand new for $368 shipped running on a Hifonics 1600 watt amp for $200 shipped with a custom made ported box. made a 135.7. want the video?

Nevaeh, listen to whoever you want, but now you have my side of the info. good luck!

Last edited by yitzac1990; Feb 16, 2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

less resistance = more power, better sound. what do you mean RCA out? they would be getting 1200 watts RMS at 1 ohm on that amp.

would that be 1200/rms to each sub or 600rms to each sub??

Originally Posted by JL Audio Support Desk

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Parallel / Parallel

Connecting the voice coils of each driver in parallel (+ to +, - to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedance's:

Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 1.5 Ohms
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofers: 1 Ohm
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofers: 0.5 Ohm
Dual-1.5 Ohm Subwoofer: 0.38 Ohms

I believe this was the one he was referring too.

Originally Posted by JL Audio Support Desk

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel
Connecting the two voice coils of each driver in series (+ to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedance's:

Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 6 Ohms
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 4 Ohms
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofer: 2 Ohms
Dual-1.5 Ohm Subwoofer: 1.5 Ohms

Last edited by Nevaeh; Feb 16, 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

it would be 1200 RMS total divided by the number of subs that are connected to it. so yes, 600 RMS per sub.

and yes thats exactly the thing I was referring to
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

it would be 1200 RMS total divided by the number of subs that are connected to it. so yes, 600 RMS per sub.

and yes thats exactly the thing I was referring to

Here is a photo of the driver from behind... as you can see there are essentially 6 posts... how do you wire it up with these posts, that can be seen in the photo? per the parallel
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never heard anyone say a speaker would care what ohm/resistance it was set up at. That is the whole point of DVC speaker, IMO, to give you flexibility with your installs. Your amp will surely care, and most cheap to even moderately expensive amps aren't 1 ohm stable. That's going to be pushing your equipment pretty hard. I think I would have to do one amp per speaker and show each a 2ohm load and try to give each woofer at least 500 watts RMS.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a photo of the driver from behind... as you can see there are essentially 6 posts... how do you wire it up with these posts, that can be seen in the photo? per the parallel
hmmm, it will definitely be in the JL manual when you get the sub! haha but in parallel, all the positives on the subs are hooked to the positive on the amp, and all the negatives on the subs to the negative on amp.

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I've never heard anyone say a speaker would care what ohm/resistance it was set up at. That is the whole point of DVC speaker, IMO, to give you flexibility with your installs. Your amp will surely care, and most cheap to even moderately expensive amps aren't 1 ohm stable. That's going to be pushing your equipment pretty hard. I think I would have to do one amp per speaker and show each a 2ohm load and try to give each woofer at least 500 watts RMS.
or, you could save some money, buy 1 1000 watt amp at 1 ohm, and do it that way! again, not each sub will be at 1 ohm, they will be at 2 ohms each, working together to achieve the 1 ohm at the amp. as long as the amp is one ohm stable its fine and wont overheat.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:26 PM

also, I did not have W7s, I had Kicker L7s....louder and cheaper, got 2 brand new for $368 shipped running on a Hifonics 1600 watt amp for $200 shipped with a custom made ported box. made a 135.7. want the video?
If you could post a video thatd be key!

Quick Reply: What kind of amp would be needed to power two of these?