Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Installing components with stock wiring?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2003, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing components with stock wiring?

How can you use the existing evo wiring when installing new speakers and tweeters if the component system has an external crossover. I have not opened up anything but am assuming that
the stock system has a crossover under the dash somewhere (this is where the tweeters and front speaker wiring is separated?).

Also, does anyone know if you are supposed to hook up the power antenna wire from the headunit to the stock harness? I didn't but I am thinking it really is for signal boost?
Old Nov 17, 2003, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

if you want to install aftermarket components with their new crossover (reccomended) your best bet is to run new wire from the head unit to the speakers. i dont believe anybody has been successful in finding the factory crossovers, and it'd be easier to run the new wire than to replace them. just put the new crossovers in the kick panels.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

I belive in this theory.. new speakers, new wiring..

If your going to use new crossovers, you are better off re-running the speaker leads with new ones, as you dunno if the factory ones head off somewhere else.. eg, the 300zx cable go to a special junction box then to speakers, and you have to find the junction box first ( and it isnt a crossover, it looks more like a small amplifer... stock ! )

So yeah, when i've done WRX installs and Lancer installs that have involved replacing splits and crossovers, i have ran new lead along the existing factory lines ( just cable tie them on, they will hide)

Pete