Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

keep my alpine type R's or go to infinity Kappa's?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2004, 06:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep my alpine type R's or go to infinity Kappa's?

so im thinking i need a change...change is always good right?
well heres the thing...should i got with 2 12" infinity Kappa perfects...or just keep my alpine type R's...any inputs?...what kinda box do i need for the kappa's?
Old Jan 29, 2004, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

just keep the alpine's u sound a lot like me. i have learned my lesson the hard way. don't buy new **** just keep whats good and go with it. i see so many real nice cars at car shows running just kenwoods in fancy boxes. keep the alpine's and out-hit them and be happy. there is no need to improve and plust thats not really an improvement!!! i would get some better amps cuz i highly doubt your really pushing those alpine's i know your amp SAYS it has #### wats but u really need to get that tested to be sure
Old Jan 29, 2004, 08:12 PM
Account Disabled

yeah...your prolly roght...i dunno though... a lot of people are telling to go infinity kappa perfects...yeah your right about the show thing though...i dont like pure show cars that try to show off their audiobahn ****... i think audiobahn's gay!...

i was pushing my amps pretty hard before ...with 2 mrdm-500 alpines...now i'm down to one amp...and nothings really changed...

how about infinity kappa components??...they any good?...

and how do i get my system tested?
Old Jan 29, 2004, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Keep the alpines because they can handle alot of power and the alpine amps are not good for those go with a strong amp. MTX is good but gets hot too quick. I am not sure about any other amp. The infinity kappa components sound real good I think it is a nice clear sound.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

i think you will be better off building a new box for your alpine type r's if you want better sound. enclosures really do make a difference..

about getting your system tested, try checking your local car audio shop. some places do SPL readings and some don't so call em up and see who does it!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

I have a complete Infinity system so I am biased although this is my third system in my Lancer since I bought it, but will be my last. The components are amazing! I love them, but honestly with subs, I think once you get into a certain price range, not too much changes. I agree with everyone else about sticking with your type R's and I only bought the infinity's to keep with the name or else I had a set of Polk's I was going to keep. I think your best bet is getting a new amp, but definately consider the Inifinity components. And I highly recommend using a lot of Dynamat. I have five 12 square foot Dynamat Extreme kits installed in my car. I did my 4 doors, entire trunk, rear seats, rear deck, etc. It's great stuff and will make your system sound a hundred times better and louder. Good Luck!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 09:20 PM
Account Disabled

damn....TG lanceR...what amp are you pushing for your components?

and what amp can i max out my amps out with?...and box?...sound like this is going to be a long project...but im cool with that
Old Jan 29, 2004, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Well for my components I have a kicker KX800 amp (100 x 4), kicks the crap out of my 6.5's lol, and for my subs I only have a Sony 1000 Watt Amp that has survived my last 3 systems somehow, lol? It pushes 175 x 2, or 400 x 1 that I had at one time, but I am very satisfied with the 350 watts I have to my subs because with the dynamat extreme in my car it just sounds amazing. I know I will get knocked for having such a crappy amp for my subs, but I am starting to hate everyone who drives by in NYC with cars rattling, so I am all about sound Quality now and nothing more. Most of the time I keep my amps turned all the way down unless my friends bug the crap out of me. My friend who just bought a Galant has a total Kicker System in his car, components in the front, 6x9's in the deck, and 2 L5's, with some dynamat, but my friends would tell me any day of the week that my system sounds a hundred times better than his. My other friend with a Cherokee has one Kicker L7 Solobaric and nothing more, everything else is stock but his head unit, and I can hear him coming from blocks away, but all you hear is his sub, nothing more, even when you are sitting in his truck.

What are you looking to do with your system? Are you going to enter it into shows, do you want to be heard blocks away, or do you want good sound quality? All three of these decisions can be accomplished with one well polished system, but it would be easier to determine what you need if you state where youw ant to go with all of this?
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:04 PM
Account Disabled

i really want SQ...but at the same time be able to hit...i have gotten a few compliments on my SQ but it can always be better...
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Well I am not familiar with the Type R's specifications. What is it's RMS? You have 2 correct? And just how much are you willing to spend for components (And will you amp them)?
Like I said Infinity's are great, but I would obviously recommend MB Quart if you are willing to spend the money, but anything can sound good tweaked correctly.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:18 PM

I have 2-12 inch infinity perfects with a 750 rms zapco amp and 2-12 inch jl'w3's both in ported box in my celica, definately impressed with infinities quality, my friend has 2 r-12's i will put him to shame with my infinity stuff.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:19 PM
Account Disabled

rms for type r's are 500 i think...and max is 1000...i am going to amp the components....mb quart?...never heard of them....oh...also i wanna go with the infinity or alpine components cus i get them at manufacturing cost...any other suggestions?
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm, not really but if you pick up a couple issues of PAS (Performance Auto & Sound) you will learn a lot and get a better idea of what's out in the market now. I am in the process of planning out a custom box for my subs because of an idea I got from that mag, but I'd say go with the Infinity components and you will be satisfied. Do you get Polk at manufacturing cost?
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:30 PM
Account Disabled

thanks for all the help guys...or should i say TG LanceR....any other input would be welcome
Old Jan 30, 2004, 08:50 PM

Ive had both

The alpines and the infinitys r about the same both hit pretty good and have awesome SQ, they are not made for SPL, but still move pretty good air.I would stick with the alpines they are more likely to last longer with less problems.I had 4 alpine type r's in my lancer(custom enclosure) and they sounded beautiful.(also one of my infinity's voice coils came loose after about a month)Alpine is the way to go.

Quick Reply: keep my alpine type R's or go to infinity Kappa's?