Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

rattling after sub install

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2004, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rattling after sub install

sorry if this is a re-post from earlier somebody but search didn't really return anything.

I installed a sub and there is rattling coming from trunck and rearm where the speakers (stock) are mounted

in my previous car (mazda protege) i resolved this with tar sheets. (dynamat)

However i am not too keen on that as taking it off is not an option ....leaves tar behind

any ideas on materials to use...and also has anybody identified common "loose" areas that rattle during base hit?

Thnx
Old Feb 10, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

license plate, tail lights, rear deck.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

I was getting ready to say check your license plate. That's the only thing that rattles when I hit the volume, and it's the easiest to fix. Check there first because it can be deceptively loud.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:03 PM

what do you use to fix this?

is Dynamat a good solution

I also saw a similar probuct in A&B Sound called Bread Slice
Same idea....tar sheets
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

license plate: use a mousepad, overlay licence plate, cut mousepad to fit, reattach to car.. solved

rear deck: there are threads about it, some people are using shoe inserts (the comfort ones or something) and cutting them apart and sticking them in the holes of the deck.. there are a few of them... or something of the same fashion.. just fill the holes with stuff that will help absorb the shock
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:22 PM

hehehehe

Great ideas...i'd never think about it
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Hey bro, I have a FULLY dyanmatted trunk, trunk lid, license plate, rear deck, and all 4 doors, and I still experience rattles when my subs hit. The biggest problems are what everyone stated, but once these problems are solved others are most likely to appear. The problems I experience now are my Evo VII spoiler rattling a little bit, and sometimes the rear deck depending on how high I have my subs turned up, but if you do not port the subs from the trunk to the cabin it will be impossible to elimate all of the rattles. I recommend a sealed encloser because if you have a ported one (especially a top port) you will experience even worse rattles (I know from experience). I am currently working on a custom port that will hopefully eliminate my rattles. I just bought another 12 square feet of dynamat last week to put a second layer on my rear deck, and a second layer near the trunk latch, but once I am done with the port I will post pictures of my custom installs I have and the new, and feedback on how it worked out. Good luck, but just go get a lot of dynamat Xtreme.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Just face the subs towards the front of the car and fold down the back seats and then if there nice subs and hit hard, you wont hear rattle just feel the bass

thats what i did for like 3 months and worked liek a charm.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Yes true, but what about when your seats are up? That will definately hurt the performance of the subs, plus you need to sacrafice your back seats. IILANCERII02 do your subs still hit as hard as when you got them? And didn't they rattle your interior when your windows were closed?
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

check out the how to's at the beginning of this forum. if its the same rattle i have from the right rear speaker, its an easy and cheap fix.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what kind of box you use, ported or sealed, take out the rear speaker, because they don't do squat anyway. That will kinda port your trunk, and reduce rattle.

Take the carpeting out of the trunk, cover all the hole (dynomat or whatever you budget allows you). Put the carpet back in

Put a mouse pad behind your license plate

Tighten your spoiler

Tighten your tail lights

Put something between the plastic surrounding and the frame located behind your seat

That should help a lot
Old Feb 27, 2004, 11:58 AM

get the thickest weather striping to put on back of licence plate and on the rear window at the bottom fits nice and tight took some distortion away