Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

First 18" sub in a Lancer???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2004, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 18" XXX... PICS!!!

alright folks.
today is the day. redoing almost the entire system. currently residing in my trunk is a 15" Resonant Engineering HC running off a Memphis MC1000d (1100 watts @ 1ohm). in my doors and rear deck i have pairs of Alpine Type-S coax speakers powered by my friend's JL 300/4 (75 watts x 4).

today, via UPS my 18" Resonant Engineering XXX should be arriving along with my amp, Lanzar d3000m (approx 2200-2400 watts @ 1ohm). i'll be taking out both pairs of Alpine's and replacing the fronts with a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect components running off my good ole Kenwood KAC-829 (75 watts x 2 @ 4ohms). i'm also getting a cap, so basically everything in my system is getting replaced except my head unit which i replaced last week in addition to my Alpine XM tuner box.

pics will be posted with progress! i'll let ya'll guys know how it turns out

Last edited by Lance Dogg; Apr 4, 2004 at 09:07 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 10" powered by a 1000w amp and my car shakes violently.

if your using your sub to turn your car into a vibrating bed... more power to ya.

if you trying to make up for dick size, your going to fail.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

I removed my amp and sub because I was losing my hearing =)
b
Old Apr 2, 2004, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RobertK
I have a 10" powered by a 1000w amp and my car shakes violently.

if your using your sub to turn your car into a vibrating bed... more power to ya.

if you trying to make up for dick size, your going to fail.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

I have 1 12" getting 380rms and I had to turn the gain down because it was too loud for my tastes in music. Noticed I said "my tastes."

You guys pumping 1k or more watts are crazy. I couldn't deal with that on a daily basis but I'd love to hear your systems anyways......

Old Apr 2, 2004, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by rentaslut
I removed my amp and sub because I was losing my hearing =)
b

WHAT?? I cant hear you hahah
Old Apr 2, 2004, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

i got 2 12's and im pushing 2400 watts max power to them. I really need to dynamat cuz my trunk rattles real bad
Old Apr 2, 2004, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

I'd be at least a little concerned with setting off the knock sensor in my evo. Any of you experience this yet? I used to have the issue bad on a car I used to drive. Nice solid bass notes would make the engine bog while idling.

I think an 18 for our tiny cars might be a little overkill, not to mention you'll loose a lot of the upper range bass notes. But let us know how it goes/sounds and best of luck!!
Old Apr 2, 2004, 10:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How big of a box do you need to when using a speaker that large?
Old Apr 2, 2004, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

i find it stupid to post a mod without a pic in a show and shine forum
Old Apr 2, 2004, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Finally, somebody with a lancer gets an XXX! Thats one of the best subs on the market. I have a E12a in my Bmw after having many others, it was either that or the XXX 15. Congrats man, you got the very best bass, now its time to get better mids and highs.

Infinity is ****. if your going to go all the way with your sub, then dont go with anything ****ty to complete the package. look to Focal/Koda thats the only thing IMO that will somewhat mesh with your sub. but please dont get anything ****ty you got the sub i should have....
Old Apr 2, 2004, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

alright... sub is in, box is CRAP. i double baffled the top board of the box (sub is upfiring, no way to have an 18 firing forwards or backwards in our little lancer trunks). since the box was double baffled, the height was too much. so, i had to pry off the top baffle. it went in after that. BUT... badly because the original baffle was cut awkward and not caulked because i was using a second baffle which WAS sealed. the reason(s) this is a problem is because the moron at home depot cut 2 of the boards an entire inch too small upon initial cutting (leaving me with some major ghetto work).

it works now, but i'm gettin no lows due to not sufficiently sealing up air holes because of the removal of one baffle. i will build a new box when i have some time, but this is a crappy situation. the box measures 24 x 24 x 16 tall. i actually DID manage to fit the box in through the trunk opening.

about the infinity speakers... my main reason i'm getting them is because i can get them cheap. i work at a circuit city and get them through accommodations.

also, the last 2 subs that my Lancer has had the pleasure of housing were a 15" Adire Brahma and a 15" RE HC. both INCREDIBLE subs.

sorry for the long *** post!
Old Apr 4, 2004, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Old Apr 4, 2004, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

I think the only way to get it to work would be to put it where the spare is with a custom box
I mean either way with the box in there or the sub where the spare is either way it takes up ur whole trunk
Old Apr 4, 2004, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

I have to see a pic of this thing in ur trunk

Quick Reply: First 18" sub in a Lancer???