Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Factory speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2002, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory speaker replacement

Does anyone have a good set of instructions on how to get to the factory speakers (similar to the set of instructions on this forum for head unit replacement)? I'm looking to replace the speakers myself, but I don't want to screw the car up in the process.

Also, be careful if you go to buy speakers at Best Buy. I stopped in there last night to take a look and they were trying to tell me that the Lancer has 6.5's in the front and 6x9's in the back, contrary to information I've heard everywhere else. As far as I know, the Lancer has 6.75's front and rear.

Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 07:52 PM

Dude!..How much bling bling(cash)do u have???..If ur not sure how to change the speakers then I would suggest u take it to a Audio Shop!..They may not do it for free but it's better then screwing up ur sound system!
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by LiLAzNBaLLa1
Dude!..How much bling bling(cash)do u have???..If ur not sure how to change the speakers then I would suggest u take it to a Audio Shop!..They may not do it for free but it's better then screwing up ur sound system!
Replacing speakers is pretty simple. To remove the rear deck just pop the plastic covers off the child safety seat things and unbolt them. Then just pull up the deck itself. At least that's how I remember it. Easy as pie.

Doors are equally as easy to take apart. Harder to put back. There' a total of 4 screws in each door. 1 in the handle's well. (covered by a little plastic door lookin' thing) pop it, unscrew it. One just like it (only bigger) in the handle on the arm rest as well. Then there's a screw on the inside corner of the door (near the joint) and one on the far outside. Pop the covers off GENTLY and open then unscrew. The rest of the door is held in by panel pins. Either use a tool made specifically for this (crutchfield makes them but I've yet to find them necessary if you're GENTLE and CAREFUL with a flathead screwdriver) or a flathead and CAREFULLY pop each pin one at a time. Lift slightly and pull out slightly to remove.

Putting the weather stripping and panel back on the door is a royal pain in the ***, but you can figure it out with a few attempts probably get it. Basically start by getting the inside on track and sliding it forward slightly to get it into place while pressing the rest down.

I've done this about 6-8 times. It's really a piece of cake once you do one door. Good luck.

On a difficulty scale of 1-10 I'd give replacing speakers a 4. Just make sure your speakers fit. Most 6 3/4"s are 6 1/2"s with slightly larger mounts. They don't all fit (as I found out). With a little patience you can easily make it work. It's a lot more rewarding if you do it yourself. And you can be sure of the quality of the install.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Again, Crutchfield is your friend. You get FULLY ILLUSTRATED INSTRUCTIONS on how to put your new stuff in.

http://www.crutchfield.com
Old Aug 20, 2002, 09:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Master sheets were not available when I bought my speakers from Crutchfield. Their customer service was helpful trying to get my speaker mount adapters though...even though I decided not to use them.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 08:20 AM

ive been using 6.5's.. they sometimes rattle... only two screws are holding them in ...should I get an oversize adapter.. would that help?
Old Sep 7, 2002, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

The Lancer has 6 3/4s
Old Sep 10, 2002, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Crutchfield says that the 6 1/2 Pioneer TS-A1667's will fit in all 4 locations and they are only 6 1/2's, right? Will I need an adaptor for this?
Old Sep 10, 2002, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

o.k. there is no such thing as 6 3/4. that's a made up crutchfield term. they are simply 6 1/2 with an oversized diameter. adapters are available. crutchfield is not your friend either, another blatant lie. check out www.carstereodirect.com once you know which ones you want, they will most likely save you at least 50% off what crutchfield has. just get in there and play, the nice thing about crutchfield aside from the easy to use website and spec comparison is that they send you the elusive adapter to make the speaker wire connection with so you don't have to cut splice and ghetto rig the speaker together. still not worth paying an extra hundo on though.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 08:05 PM

OK...here's the deal. I bought new Kenwood speakers (6 3/4") for both the front and rear. I figured I'd do the rear first, because it's easier to get to. I remove the old speakers no problem and go to set the new speakers in place. When I do so, I notice that the spacing of the screw holes for the existing speakers is wider than the outer rim for my new speakers.

These were supposed to be "Easy-fit" from Crutchfield for the Lancer, but the tech support guy said sometimes they screw up with the fit. But he also said that this was a pretty standard size and it looks like I'm probably going to have this problem with any other speaker I try.

Is there some kind of adapter I can get to make this work? Do I just redrill new holes? Were any of you able to replace your factory speakers by using the existing screw holes?

I just want to make sure there isn't another way before I start drilling new holes in my car.

Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

just dynamat extremed both my drivers and passenger doors....boy what a pain in the ***.....no joke...use all the screws to mount the new speakers...well worth it to stop rattle.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 08:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Again, Crutchfield did not make that up. Manufacturers put those measurements on their boxes for acceptable sizes.

Crutchfield doesn't test them all though...that would be a collosal (sp?) waste of time. You should call Crutchfield customer service and ask for an adapter or request a return. Expect the same results with just about any 6 3/4" (oversized 6 1/2") speakers though.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, I'm trying to install my front speakers right now. Does anyone know which wire is positive and which one is negative. For the front left, the wires are pink/white, and pink/light blue. Could I use a multimeter to find out?
Old Sep 22, 2002, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Well I guess I answered my own question. I just pulled my radio out and looked at the wires coming from my aftermarket radio, into the stock harness.