Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Speaker Help!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2002, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker Help!!

I just bought a set of Kenwood 6 3/4's from Crutchfield to replace my factory speakers. Worked on the rear deck last night. I was expecting an easy, smooth replacement. Got the factory speakers out no problem. New speakers fit in the opening fine, but the outer rim of the speaker is not wide enough to reach the existing screw holes.

Crutchfield tech support said I was going to have to drill new screw holes and I was probably going to have to do this with almost any pair of speakers I chose. Is this common? Have any of you been able to install new speakers without redrilling? I just want to make sure this is a common thing to do before I go putting additional holes in my car.

Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2002, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

no its not true. I got sony 6 1/2 component systems from crutchfield and they sent me oversize adapters with them and everything fit perfect
Old Sep 13, 2002, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the response Bcustom.

I know there are alot more out there who have replaced their factory speakers.

What size did you use?

Did it require an adapter?

Did you need to drill new holes?

Anyone?
Old Sep 13, 2002, 09:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made my own adapters. I took 6 pieces of sheet metal about 1/2 inch wide and 1 inch long with a hole in each end. I used one of speakers hole and screwed it into one of the original mounts and used 3 of pieces to reach the rest of the holes on each speaker. This worked well for the rear. No rattling. The fronts haven't been changed yet. I'm taking those to an audio shop, so if they screw up my door panal they have to fix it.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 09:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I made adapters for my "6 3/4" kappas too. They sent adapters because I called cust. serv. and asked for them, but they didn't fit. I just drilled the rear deck...no biggie. The doors are harder though. Apparently a lot of 6 3/4" speakers don't really fit 6 3/4" factory mounts. Crutchfield's got great cust. serv. Either complain and get mounts, return or drill. You'll get it one way or another.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

ughh.. All these people loving Crutchfield and here they are point blank lying to this kid. Not only are they ripping you off but they've got the whole damn forum believing there is a size called 6 3/4. THey're simply 6 1/2's oversized. Call em back and get the adapter. Crutchfield.

then go to carstereodirect.com and see how much you could have saved.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 11:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Pimpson
Crutchfield.

Crutchfield did pretty good. I didn't have a single problem with them.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 11:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The boxes say they're 6 3/4" too. It's as much the manufacturer's fault as it is Crutchfield's. I dunno what the hostility is about. They generally don't have good prices, but on occasion they do and their customer service has always been phenomenal as far as I'm concerned.

Price isn't always the bottom line.

EDIT: I've been ordering from Crutchfield for years. I ALWAYS compare prices before buying. Not everything I get for car stereo is through them...maybe half of it, but when I suspect I may need help with something or a master guide they're the people to buy from.

EDIT again: Yes, they're oversized. The mounts vary from manuf to manuf on both cars and speakers though apparently. Go figure.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Sep 13, 2002 at 11:38 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2002, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

just drill some new holes...ur making it harder than it really is
Old Sep 14, 2002, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by pinoyesv6
just drill some new holes...ur making it harder than it really is
That's fine for the rear deck. I think I'm more concerned about the doors (haven't even looked at them yet).
Old Sep 14, 2002, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

i just recently had my doors apart and the insides of the doors will also be easy to just drill new holes. make sure the window is up though or you may drill into it

[EDIT]: oh yea, i few little hints - before trying to take off or put on the door panels pop the triangular piece of plastic off the inside mirror mounts then take the screw out to take that whole plastic piece off... makes everything alot easier. Also, make sure you remember which length screw goes where... there are 4 you need to remove to remove the door panel: 2 along outside rim of door, 1 in little handle basin, and 1 in the door opener recess. before you can take off the panel you must remove all these AND the plastic trim around the door lever and lock mechanism.

Last edited by bcustom152; Sep 14, 2002 at 01:20 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2002, 02:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah...if you have any door questions hit me with an IM on AIM. I've taken them apart and put them back together about a dozen times. The doors are pretty simple. The locks can be annoying. I also don't think you'll be able to drill in the doors like you can on the rear deack. The stock speakers have plastic mounts stuck to them if you look closely. The way they're mounted in the door is slightly different too. I just made crappy custom mounts out of 1/4" pressure board (I think that's what it's called...it's like a step up from cardboard). Anyway...no problems, no complaints. Pic of the ghetto rigging in the reg. If I didn't have pics of the terrible looking mounts no one would ever know.