Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Infinity Kappa vs. Alpine Type Rs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2002, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Infinity Kappa vs. Alpine Type Rs

Here's what my plan is. Within the next few weeks/months, I'm going to have new speakers (front and back), and plan to add subwoofer quite amout of time later. So I'm looking for speakers that will have enough bass without subs for a while (probably a good few months or so). I was looking into Alpine Type Rs for a while now, and have heard good things about Infinity Kappas, both are about the same price, Infinity costing a little bit more. I was wondering what you guys think which one is the better speaker (bass and durability wise). Also, has anyone actually seen/hear the alpine x-series speakers? I personally can't find any demos in any stereo stores near my area, they seem really pricey, so I was wondering if they're any good. BTW, for subs, I'm looking at probably two alpine type r 12"
Old Sep 23, 2002, 11:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have kappas...2ways. They sound damn good and damn clean. They handle everything well (in combination with my head unit). Be prepared for rattle though if you try to push high volumes. The Lancer does love to shake.

I've never been much a fan of Alpine so I'm a bit biased, but I'd say give the kappas a shot.

EDIT: Almost forgot something. Kappas are not a direct fit. The oversized mounts are still too small. They will require either custom mounts on the rear deck or drilling and definitely require mounts in the doors. I'm not cetain about the Alpine R's.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Sep 23, 2002 at 11:14 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

I have a JVC El Kamaleon indash, it puts out the normal 200 watts peak, so I think my head unit should be adequate for the speakers. As for as rattle goes, do you think it'd be worth it to have all of my doors dynomatted? If so, is there a better alternative sound deadener than dynomat? I plan to buy my speakers from circuit city because I want to be able to purchase the 3 year warranty in case I blow my speakers, but I might just buy dynomats or whatever online

Last edited by JohnMemorialHS; Sep 23, 2002 at 11:20 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
Kappas are not a direct fit. The oversized mounts are still too small. They will require either custom mounts on the rear deck or drilling and definitely require mounts in the doors.
that's probably something I don't have to worry about, because Circuit City said they'd be able to fit pretty much any 6 1/2" speakers into my 6 3/4", although they haven't looked at my car yet, but they said a lot of GM vehicles have the same size speakers and they've been able to use adaptors to fit 6 1/2" speakers in.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 11:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I dunno much about sound except from my personal experiences. I'm sure Cliff or someone more into sound would have a good answer for that though. From what I've read dynamat's heavy, expensive, and overrated.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 01:56 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by JohnMemorialHS

that's probably something I don't have to worry about, because Circuit City said they'd be able to fit pretty much any 6 1/2" speakers into my 6 3/4", although they haven't looked at my car yet, but they said a lot of GM vehicles have the same size speakers and they've been able to use adaptors to fit 6 1/2" speakers in.
This is just a warning about Circuit City. I went there to get my speakers, and I asked them how they were going to mount a 6 1/2" speaker in a 6 3/4" hole? There responce was that they would rig it in there, they don't use adapter plates. I took my credit card back and got my speakers at an Audio shop. Just a warning, I don't like stuff being rigged into my car.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 02:00 AM

i bet that answer does wonders for repeat customers!!
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:33 AM

Even if your deck is 200 watts you should still get a 4 channel amp your deck is only truly puttin out but 9 to 15 watts RMS (Continous power) so you wont blow them but you are going to lack in sound quality.As far as Circuit City I use to work for them and all I have to say is the shop is as only as good as the employees. If you get lucky your store has people who know what they are doing if not then be carefull. I would defently go to a Private shop you will find more respectable installers. As far as the warranty most companys offer 3 years on audio equipment anyways.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:37 AM

Audio shops are the way to go. Avoid places like Circuit City and Best Buy. Best Buy likes to use duct tape to install head units.