Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Recommendations for new stereo and speakers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2004, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommendations for new stereo and speakers

OK guys,

I need your help. I’ve decided to purchase a new stereo and speakers for my EVO. I have not decided on a head-unit yet. I need something with auxiliary out, in order to connect my iPod. I don’t need bling-bling, fancy displays, or mega bass sub-woofers. I don’t even want an external amp or sub-woofer. I want something that sounds really good, period. Crutchfield does not list any speakers as EZ fit for the lancer. I’d like to get great sounding speakers that are easy to install and require no modification for fit. I’m open to suggestions. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

first off, since you have an iPod, wait a few months... Alpine is coming out with a head unit that directly connects to an iPod. but, if you don't wanna wait, there's plenty out there with aux inputs, including many current Alpines. (note: i love my Alpine).

second off, crutchfield says no speakers are easy fit because Lancers have 6 3/4" speakers, not the standard 6 1/2"'s. but, have no fear, many speakers come with adapters that convert the 6 1/2" opening to 6 3/4".

also, if you're not looking to get an amp for the speakers i'd recommend an HU with a slightly higher/cleaner output, if possible. trust me, speakers don't sound half as good as they should when they're not amped.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

Eclipse makes a few decks with AUX inputs ... mines got one. Eclipse has exellent sound quality too specially if you get a deck with the 8 volt preouts and low impedance
Old Sep 2, 2004, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

THere are a bunch of companies that fun inputs, heck, even Aiwa cheap *** deck runs an input right in the front of the thing. I have my Rio hooked up to my system!!
Old Sep 2, 2004, 10:30 PM

Check my profile description on stereo the deck has aux in and its easy to use as well as dual 24 bit DACs which makes it sound better or as good as anything out there that doesnt use fiber for speakerwire LOL. Also its a great price for the deck. Speaker wise the same pioneers I run are availible in all the sizes you need for the evo so no cutting needed just 4 screws hope this helps
Old Sep 3, 2004, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

well i have a pioneer amp, and new pioneer speakers and they have great highs and mids, decent lows

get either their new 3 or 4 way speakers, feels like you have subs in your doors
Old Jun 15, 2005, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Stay away from pioneer,alpine,rf,sony speakers.

I highly recommend CDT, and Image Dynamics for great speakers at a decent price. Also ID subs are nearly unparalleled in SQ/SQL.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Polk Audio.. actually Polk Momo.. those speakers sound soooo clean and nice. Their subs aren't all about big bass boomin, its about hearing the sound clear the way it was recorded. (I have the 12'' Polk MOMO subs) Their component speakers are the same way. They are the clearest sounding speakers I've heard myself. My buddy's dad has a complete set of them and wow.. they are incredible.
http://www.polkaudio.com/car/category.php?name=polkmomo
Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

If you are having trouble finding Polk-MOMO speakers.. cause they are rare, try ABC Warehouse, Circuit City, and Ebay. The ABC Warehouse by my house has a ton, so does Ebay. I think Circuit City ran out of supply.. But seriously consider those speakers. You have to hear them to see for yourself. A good amp to hook up component speakers to makes all the difference also with sound quality. But remember, it begins at the source with your CD Deck.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going to g oout on a limb and say Image Dynamics, an DLS . ID makes great speakers and subs, and DLS makes (in my oppinion) the best auytomotive speakers made. I've run DLS reference series, which are lower end, and now I'm running DLS Iridium series which are their to end, and they rock.

however my best advice is to go to your local dealers and listen to speakers until you find the one that's right for you. Everyone's suggestions are great, but they don't have your ears, so listen to your ears, not someone else's
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

I say go mbquart all around you will need an amp though!... i used to use them til i switched to EV! Ipods dont sound as good as CDs! but most people dont care
Old Jun 17, 2005, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sassmaster
I'm going to g oout on a limb and say Image Dynamics, an DLS . ID makes great speakers and subs, and DLS makes (in my oppinion) the best auytomotive speakers made. I've run DLS reference series, which are lower end, and now I'm running DLS Iridium series which are their to end, and they rock.

however my best advice is to go to your local dealers and listen to speakers until you find the one that's right for you. Everyone's suggestions are great, but they don't have your ears, so listen to your ears, not someone else's
DLS Iridiums are some of the best speakers made, no MB quart (or any other brand from best buy-type places) can compare. ID makes perhaps the best SQL subs. There are others right up there with them, but ID in general just rocks.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

You may be right I just hope that who ever uses them knows how to get that "best sound" out of them!!!
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Check www.audiobahninc.com I think they have a headunit that would suit your needs.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

I personally like the Kenwood Excelon HUs. They have AUX input separate from the changer input and the colors match the halo gauges you can buy off ebay perfectly. Last year's fold out models are hard to see since our dashes are angled up though.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for new stereo and speakers