Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.
View Poll Results: Which sub arrangment is best
2 10" subs
35.80%
2 12" subs
41.98%
3 10" subs
11.11%
2 15"s baby
11.11%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

best sub arrangement

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2004, 08:12 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^
Old Sep 9, 2004, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BillAce
I would say 90% of the guys that work in car audio don't know **** and that makes it harder for consumers. There is a whole lot of crap on the market and people make some bad purchasing desicions based on unqualified internet, freind and even professional recommendations.
Although I agree, I do believe it was partially directed at me. I too have the experience of doing some major custom, professional and competition work before. I too know most of the technical things to do with car audio. I just don't bore people with math (although good on ya for showing it in a way most ppl can understand)

BTW, The Zapco 9.0 is not impedance matching like the old PPI and the JL amps. It has to be ordered as a 2 or 4 ohm amplifier. Brian's lancer has a 2 ohm version running @ around 2.2 ohms mono and the size of the sealed enclosure keeps the impedance curve very stable.
I realize how the 9.0's work, I was simply saying it how a lot of people will understand it - a lot of people relate to JL Audio's Slash amps.

I'm curious - you mention being published in magazines - which ones have you been in? With which car?
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
SK, not directed at you at all, just an unfortunate general statement You seem to have a good clue.

I've been in Carsound, Auto Sound & Security, Mobile Entertainment etc. A bunch of different cars. Phil Petracca's 87 Mercedes Benz (cover), 01 Jetta, 03 G35. Chris Lupino's 01 Celica GTS (cover), Sean Chinsoon's 00 Golf (cover) and a bunch of other smaller features. I built ZapcoLancer too.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

What's so funny about a single 18" sub? If it's in the right enclosure, and it's the right driver, it'll shake your fillings out, and still sound good.

"But Hank, 3 10's, 2 12s, or any other crap we come up with can do that!"

The real 18" selling point is the "HOLY ****" factor. Not everyone has an 18" sub, not everyone has even SEEN an 18" sub. There's a lot of shock when people first see it, and then when they get to hear it, it's more shock.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I did a system with a single 18" Beyond Audio Inhuman with 2200W to it in a Civic - Very nice..

My Dream system includes a single 18 or 2 15's Of course, i'd have 8's in the doors...but ya...
Old Sep 11, 2004, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Billace: First off I didn't mean to attack your knowledge of sound systems because it apears that you do know what your talking about. I was only trying to stick to the subject because obviously if your using different amps wireing arangments and other components to the system it will greatly effect output. Anyone who knows anything about stereos would agree with that. The poll I posted and maybe I didn't make it clear enough was an attempt to eliminate all these variables and leave only one (the options listed as answers). If I made my wording difficult to understand then I'm sorry but I don't think that lashing out at people is a very good way of saying you didn't like the way the poll is set up. In this thread I haven't said much about what works and doesn't work because thats not what this thread was for. So with that in mind do try not to accuse me and 90% of people that we don't know what we are doing... I have been putting together sound systems for over 5 years and I have an Electronics Degree so believe it or not I do have a bit of a clue of how this stuff works.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sentinal
Billace: First off I didn't mean to attack your knowledge of sound systems because it apears that you do know what your talking about. I was only trying to stick to the subject because obviously if your using different amps wireing arangments and other components to the system it will greatly effect output. Anyone who knows anything about stereos would agree with that. The poll I posted and maybe I didn't make it clear enough was an attempt to eliminate all these variables and leave only one (the options listed as answers). If I made my wording difficult to understand then I'm sorry but I don't think that lashing out at people is a very good way of saying you didn't like the way the poll is set up. In this thread I haven't said much about what works and doesn't work because thats not what this thread was for. So with that in mind do try not to accuse me and 90% of people that we don't know what we are doing... I have been putting together sound systems for over 5 years and I have an Electronics Degree so believe it or not I do have a bit of a clue of how this stuff works.

No problem, I was mostly replying to your post where you said most stereo shops said (3) 10's would blow away (2) 12's. That really isn't even close to correct. I then explained it as simply as I could. I just gave you back what you gave me. I'm sure you didn't know my background and you probably assumed I was just giving my opinion. I've built many regional and world champions in SQ competition vehicles, had more than 20 magazine features and have used every high end car audio product out there. Wait till you see my Evo.

I'm cool if you are.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Back on topic, the best answer to your original poll is the sub in the right enclosure with enough power.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Wait till you see my Evo.
Aaaaand when are we gonna see this?

Back on topic, BillAce is right.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SK Lancer
Aaaaand when are we gonna see this?

Back on topic, BillAce is right.

My amps are still being made, they told me not to expect them for a while. Boxes are arriving every day though and I'll probably get cranking on it after Finals.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

What are you getting?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

A 50x4 and a 500x1 built by Zapco for me.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

What else will you be running?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SK Lancer
What else will you be running?

P9 of F1, it depends on how long I take to build it. the new F1 version won't be out until next year. Single 10 or 12" sub. I'm either using DLS Iridium 6.2's or some new components out of Europe that I'll be testing in a couple of weeks. Keeping it simple and adding as little weight as possible. putting a www.bigampbatteries.com
in the trunk and a batcap & ICB100 under the hood. Stock head unit will be in the factory location sending audio to the speakers built into my daughters Recaro car seat too.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

1 10" i hate having a full trunk of beats all i need is my MBQUART Q series for my high treble techno driving music lol.