Notices

AEM EMS - Simple questions answered

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2005, 04:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM EMS - Simple questions answered

In celebration of our finally getting our own engine management forum I'd like to take this opportunity to offer my (limited) knowledge of the AEM EMS 30-1312 unit. If anyone has any questions about the our application, general or Lancer specific, please feel free to post them here, and I will do my best to answer them or point you in the right direction.

For further information try the AEM Electronics Forums. All the forums in there have a lot of useful information.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how hard is it to tune AEM EMS for the consumer? i'd be interested in getting AEM certified for my own purposes. how would i go about getting that accomplished?
Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ok, it's easy if you read...a LOT. It's NOT something I'd recommend doing from the basemap provided. You could probably get the car to idle and start, but the first tune is best to have done professionally. Then save it somewhere safe (like on a CD, floppy or whatever), and you could maybe tinker a little from there. I wouldn't recommend making major changes or making ANY changes that you're not 100% certain about. The interface is pretty easy to understand (I think you can download it for free from their forums and install it on any PC), but keep in mind you literally have to tune EVERYTHING. From fuel pump, fuel map, to spark maps to accel and decel trims, to fuel cut, to AC compensation etc. IMO, it's a great tool, but one that can do a lot of damage if you're not careful with it.

Oh, and make sure the car runs well otherwise. Part of my problem with my car was that it was so impossible to troubleshoot because I had (and may still very well have) some mechanical problems on top of the standalone.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

reading a lot is a must. the AEM forum is likely the best source of info for that.

do you think they offer a web course on getting certified? i think i will call them when i order my EMS in the spring and try to get some sort of schooling on it.

the base tune will be way over my head though. what you said about saving that and then tinkering with it would be a good learning experience ( so long as i don't play to much )....cool stuff, thanks for the good info.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

They only offer certification classes in their facility in CA. You got the idea, mang. BTW, I say this because I know you already know your **** pretty well (if not better than me), and so tuning wouldn't be beyond your understanding. It should be clearly understood that standalones are not for nublets.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
BTW, I say this because I know you already know your **** pretty well (if not better than me), and so tuning wouldn't be beyond your understanding.
thank you
i really appreciate that. you're still the guru though but that makes me feel better about myself.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 04:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Credit given where credit is due. I always say standalones aren't for everyone, but 1. you know your **** and 2. there's at least 1 shop that's AEM certified within an hour or so of where you live.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

What is the biggest problem with a standalone engine managment?
Or should I say,
what could cause the most problems?
first problems?
And how much could a reputable shop charge for a nice setup with AEM EMS?
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Bad tuning. Depends upon the shop. Call them for rates.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

greg ams is around us and they did omars car give them a call
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

AMS is definitely qualified, but I have no idea what their rates are like.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

I asked because I thought there were some problems with Andrew's tune and my concern was how much he thinks it would cost to get it running PROPERLY.
Many shops can offer prices but a lot of times you end up paying more because every car is different.

Is EMS capable of self learning? Or do you have to retune it everytime you change something?

I'm not really looking at AEM EMS bu at RPW's Haltech.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 07:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

My problems were mechanical. At least not ECU related. At first I blamed them (wrongly) on the EMS, but once Mark tuned it and we realized the problems I was having with fuel delivery I realized that it had to be something other than just the tune. The EMS can learn. It has both open and closed loop functions as well as automapping. I have no idea how the Haltech standalone works because I've never seen one. I'm guessing it has similar capabilities, but I'm probably not the person to ask about anything specific to that unit.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Dec 15, 2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I read some time ago that 12.7:1 was the ideal A/F ratio for the 4G94. Is that correct. Can't find the thread I saw it in

And for people with little to no knowledge of A/F ratio:

Lower than 14.7:1 = Richer
14.7:1 = Stoich
Higher than 14.7:1 = Leaner

Why? Noticed how we write A/F... First number is the quantity of air, 2nd number is the fuel quantity. So 14.7 parts of air for 1 part fuel is Stoich. 12.7 parts of air for 1 part of fuel is richer because we have less air for the same fuel quantity.

Last edited by blaze_125; Jan 13, 2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

i remember that thread... ihave mine tuned somewhere between 12.6-12.9... this spring im gonna mess with it and try and get the curve even smoother

Quick Reply: AEM EMS - Simple questions answered