Notices

Zeitronix or other WB simulated NB output

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeitronix or other WB simulated NB output

I was wondering if anyone is using the Zeitronix (or some other wideband)'s simulated narrowband output in place of the stock O2 sensor? Does the ECU throw codes or otherwise act up if you do this? I have read that these things don't always work that well. Just wondering if I'm going to need another bung for the WB or if I can get rid of the regular O2 sensor altogether. Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

bump for response.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

I';m not sure about the lancer ECU, but i know my friend has the Innovate wideband with the NB output on his 99 civic and he has no problems with it
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Civic's can use slotted and chipped ecu's to change all sorts of settings...included not to use the O2 sensor. Lancer is a whole other ballgame; I'd assume it would still require it w/o a stand-alone...
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

Well I guess to play it safe I'll just put in the extra bung and cap it off if I don't need it. No harm in that, really.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

^^^Exactly.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

What's better though... Zeitronix w/ Screen or the AEM Eugo 6 in 1 ?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:19 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I don't see why you'd need 3 O2 sensors if the ECU is seeing a narrowband signal anyway. Unless the narrowband 0-1v output is WAY off, there's no reason to keep both stock sensors. The ECU won't even know there's a 5v signal coming from the WBO2.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

So are you saying that I can just swap out the stock O2 sensor (1st one) and just put a wideband there, splice it in to the stock harness and have no problem what so ever?

Has anyone done this?

This is very cool...I like this idea already
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like a very good idea if we can do it. No need to make another bung-hole for another sensor.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sadude
So are you saying that I can just swap out the stock O2 sensor (1st one) and just put a wideband there, splice it in to the stock harness and have no problem what so ever?

Has anyone done this?
That was my question initially, apparently no one here has done it. There is a funny thread somewhere in the evo forum where a guy spliced the narrowband output into his 2nd o2 sensor wires...kind of funny...

Anyways I think what you're supposed to do is run a wire out of the WB box and splice that into the front o2 wires. But what you are saying is basically the idea. The raw WB output is basically useless until it gets translated by the box.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I think i know what thread you are talking about. He did it so he wouldn't have to make a bung on his down pipe and have to make holes to run the new wiring. It seemed to have worked for him. So I do believe it's possible. it's the same signal, just translated by the brain.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wallesasuaz
Yea I think i know what thread you are talking about. He did it so he wouldn't have to make a bung on his down pipe and have to make holes to run the new wiring. It seemed to have worked for him. So I do believe it's possible. it's the same signal, just translated by the brain.
Found it...he had it hooked up to the wrong o2 sensor wires and was wondering why it was causing CEL.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=120538

My impression was that the WB sensor itself didn't put out a signal that could be used by anything except the brain. Then from the brain you can get the 0-5v output to use for your engine management stuff or the 0-1v as simulated NB. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

i'm in a jam too.. I need to find out if I can use my Defi NB on the Zeitronix brain to give me the output reading for accurate AFR's. Hence, allowing me to tune properly.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

okay i tried to use the o2 sim output on the Innovate Wideband. Im sure i connected it correctly cuz i followed the instructions checking the voltages oif the 4 wires to figure out which one to connect to. Anyways the results were as follows...
-narrowband gauge bounced erratically and only was readable when in open loop.(Rich)
-O2 sensor must remain inside engine bay connected to the heater wires or a cel light will go on( damaged or failing o2 sensor)
So what i ended up doing was getting another o2 bung installed on the straight part of the stock downpipe before the second cat. The wires are easily ran, use the existing o2 sensor boot above the second cat. Just takes a bit of cutting. Run both the wires thru it and sip tie them in place away from all moving parts. No problems as of yet. Hope this helps some of you.

Quick Reply: Zeitronix or other WB simulated NB output