Notices

EcuTek

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
That's not on a lancer, it's on a modified STi and includes the other mods he has. There is no way you'll get 100 hp with just a tune.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh ok.
So what kind of numbers can we expect out of the tune?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Nobody knows yet, gotta wait for them to have a crack at it first.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 02:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chino ali
oh ok.
So what kind of numbers can we expect out of the tune?
Bone stock? Not a whole ton. Maybe 10 or so. But here's what you're not thinking about - peak HP doesn't mean anything.

What a good EcuTek tune will do is tune the WHOLE powerband. The car will take off better, ride around town better, go hard better, etc.
Think about a dyno graph. What really matters is NOT the peak number. What matters is all the space under the line. It's a lot more complicated then you're thinking of it as. This isn't Gran Turismo where you just want the peak HP number to be as high as possible. This is a real car, and it needs real tuning.

If you don't like the $120/hour cost, then I don't suggest you get something like this. The RRM piggyback might be more your taste (since it comes pretuned and you just install and forget it).
Old Sep 10, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Bone stock? Not a whole ton. Maybe 10 or so. But here's what you're not thinking about - peak HP doesn't mean anything.

What a good EcuTek tune will do is tune the WHOLE powerband. The car will take off better, ride around town better, go hard better, etc.
Think about a dyno graph. What really matters is NOT the peak number. What matters is all the space under the line. It's a lot more complicated then you're thinking of it as. This isn't Gran Turismo where you just want the peak HP number to be as high as possible. This is a real car, and it needs real tuning.

If you don't like the $120/hour cost, then I don't suggest you get something like this. The RRM piggyback might be more your taste (since it comes pretuned and you just install and forget it).
I didn't really understand how ECU tek is better than another brand. Is it because there are more options to choose from and control? I read on another thread that when going turbo you need to modify the ECU. Would this cover it?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 03:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by fuz_dnz
I didn't really understand how ECU tek is better than another brand. Is it because there are more options to choose from and control? I read on another thread that when going turbo you need to modify the ECU. Would this cover it?
Well, at this point, there's not much in the way of other brands. What did you have in mind?

At this moment, you have one choice - get the RRM piggyback. Either install and leave it or use the software to do some light tuning.

Once EcuTek becomes available, it should be a tuning solution that allows for more options. You can tune any part of the engine.
Works is also working on a solution in which they take your stock ECU and change some specs to increase performance. This is not in production yet.

I've been told that basic piggyback units like the SAFC will not work with the 2008, but I don't know if that's true yet.

Yes, this will cover what you'd need for boost.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Well...I appreciate it to both of you guys.
That does fill it in quite well.
$120/hr is steep but it was without knowledge on the effects.
But DJ and ambystom explained it well enough.

All it comes to is a decision on what would benefit me.
Personally the ECUtek sounds much better if we are looking at an overall performance. Like reaction-retardation is at a minimum.

Good looking out guys.
Much love
Old Sep 10, 2007, 04:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by chino ali
Well...I appreciate it to both of you guys.
That does fill it in quite well.
$120/hr is steep but it was without knowledge on the effects.
But DJ and ambystom explained it well enough.

All it comes to is a decision on what would benefit me.
Personally the ECUtek sounds much better if we are looking at an overall performance. Like reaction-retardation is at a minimum.

Good looking out guys.
Much love
Sadly, the ECU is where it's all at nowadays. In the 60s, you could swap a couple parts and play with the carb and make power. Now, you can bolt on whatever you want, but the ECU is just going to do whatever it wants, regardless. Tuning the ECU to be the way you want it is the only real path to power.

Piggybacks like the RRM unit are a good middle ground. Low-cost, relative ease, but smaller gains. Actually paying a professional to tune the system is going to be the best way possible. The most expensive too, but you gotta admit it's worth it. Your girlfriend has Louis Vuitton, you have ECU tuning.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

The advantage of Ecutek (and why it costs a lot) is that it's not just a simple piggyback, it actually modifies the stock ECU. This means that 1. you don't need to do any splicing and have a piggyback sitting in your glove box and 2. you retain all the parameters of the stock system like its ability to adjust to different temperatures. This is part of why it costs so much to tune, first they have to crack the ECU code, then they need to learn how to modify it correctly and then they need to learn how to put that knowledge into practice.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Gts_BlackJoker
Not to kick a dead thread back to life, but I have been wondering if there has been anymore info on this EcuTek chip?

I am looking to make this the first mod I have installed on my GTS.
Haven't heard a word. Maybe give Ivey a call?

PS - what the Hell? How is my post above his now?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Not to kick a dead thread back to life, but I have been wondering if there has been anymore info on this EcuTek chip?

I am looking to make this the first mod I have installed on my GTS.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Has there been any news on this ECUtek flash? or any other type of flash?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 02:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Haven't heard a peep.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 05:56 PM
Account Disabled

^Damn shame
Old Feb 1, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

yeah seriously a flash would be much nicer then a piggy if i am not mistaken. especially if it includes software or something along those lines.

Quick Reply: EcuTek