Notices

Free tune ... anyone interested?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Free tune ... anyone interested?

UPDATE :: See post #30 for results. I won't be making a new thread as I don't feel it's needed. From what we found, the best reason to get a tune for a NA Lancer is to solve part throttle knock issues. We made a few more TQ on 87 octane and around 5 hp/tq on 93 with AFR's around 12:1. Without the cat interfering with the AFR readings and a richer AFR target, I think there are more gains to be found.

So, if anyone without a cat would like to do some testing with me I would be willing to offer another free tune.

UPDATE :: AFR data will be included in the test. AFR will also be tuned to show power potential.

UPDATE :: Test vehicle found. Details below.

--------------------------------------------------

Alright ... it seems that many Lancer owners don't think that a tune for their car is worth it. Well, this may or may not be true, but I'm willing to put it to the test.

I'm willing to give a Lancer (non-Ralliart) owner a free tune for the benefit of the community. I'm not a vendor. I'm not selling anything. I'm just offering to test the tuning potential of the platform.

Here is what I'm looking for ...

-- '02 to '04 Lancer ES/LS/OZ (I may be able to work with an '05+ but I'm not certain of the ECUFlash support. Maybe Pete can weigh in on this.)
-- Basic bolt-ons ... intake, exhaust. Manifolds/headers would be a plus but not needed.
-- You must have a Tactrix cable for logging and flashing, be local to Birmingham or be willing to travel to Birmingham for the tune.

I will use DataLogLab to show gains or losses in power throughout the process and post the graphs in this forum. DataLogLab is a road dyno application that provides reliable wheel horsepower/torque readings based on data logs.

My experience with the Lancer is that the timing is severely over advanced on the stock ROM and it's detrimental to the power of the vehicle and puts excess strain on the engine. This would explain the unexpectedly low power readings that some members have experienced. This also means that adding aftermarket parts that affect the VE of the engine could make this condition worse and actually reduce power further.

So, if your car fits the description and you'd like a free performance tune, post here or PM me and we'll get everything set up.

If you are interested in my background, I'm quite involved in the ECUFlash tuning movement and post often in the ECUFlash forum. Feel free to search my username in the forum and read through my posts to get a feel for my knowledge of tuning. I know you don't want to trust your car to just anyone.

------------------------------------

Brian (bcollinstex) will be lending his car for this round of testing. It's an '02 OZ with standard mileage. He's got a 2.5" cat-back, short ram intake, lightened fltyheel and upgraded clutch. I think that's a fair representation of a BPU Lancer and should give us accurate data.

Brian is making the trip over from GA for the tuning session, so please thank him for the commitment ... fuel isn't cheap these days. The test is scheduled for June 28 and I should have results posted by the 29th.

The current plan is to tune the vehicle for 87 octane fuel and show a comparative analysis of the data before and after the tune. We also plan to tune for 93 octane fuel and provide that data as well to see if it's worth it on the Lancer's NA motor. I'm hoping to be able to log actual AFRs during the test, but I'm not 100% sure that I'll have my mobile WBO2 by then ... if I do not, I'll have to rely on the stock NB sensor which isn't very accurate.

I'll make a new thread with the results.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Jul 21, 2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Update
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
An '05 and up Lancer shouldn't be a problem. Many of them use the existing definition files from the '02 and up. The definition files posted are based on what members have submitted needing defining. Is it a complete list... not at all. But it could become more complete as more members get involved.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, thanks. Would you be willing to create a definition for an '05+ for this experiment if needed? I may be able to figure it out if most of it will be inherited from the previous XML.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol dang it, i would like a TUNE! oh well.. lol i'll just pay for it
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry ... we all know that a tuned turbo car makes power. I'm looking for bolt-on cars.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:46 AM

damn you! i just got back from birmingham this last weekend!
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Let me know if you are coming back up this way. Another option is to spend a few $ on a cable and we can do this remotely.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

This is tempting. I'm about 3 hours away.

If you don't find anyone, I may take you up on the offer, but I'll give anyone closer a chance to respond.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Atl isn't far at all. I've made a few day trips. I actually live East of town so it's a little closer. Let me know if you are interested and send me a mod list.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump for a sweet thread!
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Dexmix. I'm just trying to help out the Lancer community. Too many people brush off the Lancer when it comes to tuning and performance and I don't think it's fair.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Damn i'm all the way in SFL. I seriously would like dat.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Atl isn't far at all. I've made a few day trips. I actually live East of town so it's a little closer. Let me know if you are interested and send me a mod list.
I sent you a PM.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Replied ...
Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it would be nice, if you could use a wideband and fix up the fuel maps too.