Notices

Need tuning help.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need tuning help.

Ok, So I just attempted to switch from the emanage to using ecu flash. I had problems with the emanage not being able to hold a steady Idle.

I will start with my mods:
t25 turbo
forge mbc
walbro 255 fuel pump
560cc injectors
11-12 psi

I got the idle running nice and steady with ecuflash, but I am having alot of issues getting acceleration to work correctly. The stock Injectors are 240cc and the injector scaling doesn't appear to make any difference when I change the value.

When I rev the engine or drive in first or second gear the car surges bad, but my afr stays fairly consistent 10.3-9.8, I know that is really rich but at the same time It appears that I am getting a lot of knock. I attached a quick log, hopefully someone can tell me if something is blatantly wrong.

Sorry the wideband isn't logged, I need to get a adpater since my laptop doesn't have a serial port.

Thanks
Attached Files
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
560cc injectors are way too big for your turbo setup. When you're accelerating you're getting too much fuel and timing gets pulled causing a severe drop in power.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

I adjusted the open loop load and set the injector scaling to 440 which seems to work pretty good. The car is drivable now but but the midrange needs a bit of tweaking. I can already see a huge improvement in the stability of my AFR under boost, which was less than adequate with the emanage.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

I know they are very large injectors, but they have worked pretty decently for me for a while and it appears I will be able to tune them in good enough to work. A larger turbo and internals are in the works right now so I don't really want to get smaller injectors.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
With the amount of fuel going into the engine and the amount of knock that is being registered in that log I would be concerned. EcuFlash is also not the greatest for tuning easy acceleration on boosted Lancers. Without the ECU being able to see boost tuning for open loop becomes tricky.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

After my adjustments, here is a new log. AFR are still not quite dialed in sometimes they fluctuate to 9.7, but knock looks more reasonable and i think I will be able to tune the rest of it out. I'm going to try and get the wideband connected to the laptop, so that should help with tuning a bit.
Attached Files
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is the catch ... adjusting the injector scaling DOES make a difference, but it will not immediately correct the rich condition since the fuel trims are already pulling tons of fuel in closed loop.

Set the injector scaling around 480 and flash the car. Then, before starting it, remove the negative battery cable for a while to reset the trims. See how it idles then.

Also, running in the 9s can cause rich knock. It's not as dangerous as knock from being too lean but it should still be corrected.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Aug 6, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I realized the injector scaling does make a difference. I have it set at 462 and it seems to be working good. I adjusted the Injector battery scaling for 14.06 and now I have a nice idle, it lean but the smoothest it has been in a long time.

I got the wideband connected and now I am having another problem. You can see from this short log that when I let off the gas and it cuts the fuel it causes evoscan to quit reading my wideband. First, should it be going that lean when I let of the gas, I have been running the wideband for about a year now and it has always done it, I just assume it is a decel map. Second, anyway to fix it.

As you can see from this log the afr's are getting a little better ( no longer in the 9's) but I still get some knock in the higher rpms running rich. Another thing I notice is at first acceleration the car dumps a lot of fuel, where would I tune this out at?
Attached Files