Notices

Timing Map Explanation?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
watch these videos a member made on tuning you will greatly increase your knowledge on how the whole tuning thing works
Old Sep 7, 2009, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

I have heard of people starting by dropping everything by 5 degrees but I have not and will not reccomend anything like that yet as I am still new too
Old Sep 7, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, I had been trying to find those for a while.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

no prob man also the sticky in the evo tuning "how to tune an evo" Is very good I printed it all out and have been studying it and referring to it when looking at my logs
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its best to start at the lowest RPM you encounter knock and pull timing in that one RPM sector. sometimes if there is too much/little timing at the beginning of the pull, it can throw knock all the way through the RPMs.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
watch these videos a member made on tuning you will greatly increase your knowledge on how the whole tuning thing works
All I can say is fantastical find. I am liking where this thread is going. I wish someone would create a lancer specific tuning thread, even though Im pretty much positive everyone will run evo ecus in the future lol. And I guess it still teaches us how to do our own ecus but with alot of mumble jumble that doesnt apply to us. Anyways, once again, great find.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Complink
its best to start at the lowest RPM you encounter knock and pull timing in that one RPM sector. sometimes if there is too much/little timing at the beginning of the pull, it can throw knock all the way through the RPMs.
Sweet good to know
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Complink
Is there a certain amount to pull?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThunderOZ
Is there a certain amount to pull?
Generally for every knocksum of 3 you pull 1 degree of timing so if you see a count of 5 or 6 you would pull 2 degrees etc. and then log to confirm the knock is gone
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Generally for every knocksum of 3 you pull 1 degree of timing so if you see a count of 5 or 6 you would pull 2 degrees etc. and then log to confirm the knock is gone
thnx 03.

@crewdawg130: thnx for the books man.

my school starts today, so i dont think im gonna be moddin my lancer pretty soon.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThunderOZ
EcuFlash/Evoscan.
wow, ok. Remember that the loads on that map are for a Naturaly Aspirated car ( unless you have a evo 8 ECU......do you?????). SO, youre gonna have to scale them so you can tune anything ove 0psig (or ambient press). I wouldnt even try to boost that thing on a MA map. Is way to much timing for any type of boost. Youll create to much cylinder pressure and pop something.

Also. yes the ECU will pull 1deg of timing for every 3 that she see. That doesnt mean that you gonna make her knock to figure out your timing curve. That old school crap that"make her knock then pull it back" is that just crap. Example. let say that At peak torque you have 6deg of timing. then you give it some more to see what happens, then nothing, so you keep giving it more untill she knock like around 12deg. now you pull her back a notch....ok! thats fine, but she stop making power at 8deg of timing..... so why would you wanna give her all that if she dont need it. you want that cushion. THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN SEE THIS ON A DYNO...

Just my 2cents.

Also what type of map sensor u have??????

Last edited by crewdawg130; Sep 8, 2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly right, if you look at your logs you will see a reduction in timing with or right after a knock occurs. This is the ecu reducing the timing to get rid of the knock.
Youll se the reduction of timimng because thats what is suposse to be like. not because of knock

timing on boosted cars looks highest before peak trq, lowest at peak trq then ramping up till read line......
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crewdawg130
wow, ok. Remember that the loads on that map are for a Naturaly Aspirated car ( unless you have a evo 8 ECU......do you?????). SO, youre gonna have to scale them so you can tune anything ove 0psig (or ambient press). I wouldnt even try to boost that thing on a MA map. Is way to much timing for any type of boost. Youll create to much cylinder pressure and pop something.

Also. yes the ECU will pull 1deg of timing for every 3 that she see. That doesnt mean that you gonna make her knock to figure out your timing curve. That old school crap that"make her knock then pull it back" is that just crap. Example. let say that At peak torque you have 6deg of timing. then you give it some more to see what happens, then nothing, so you keep giving it more untill she knock like around 12deg. now you pull her back a notch....ok! thats fine, but she stop making power at 8deg of timing..... so why would you wanna give her all that if she dont need it. you want that cushion. THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN SEE THIS ON A DYNO...

Just my 2cents.

Also what type of map sensor u have??????
True the peak power isnt necessarily made at the most advanced timing and a dyno is the most effective way on doing it but if we can get them close without spending the money to use a dyno I am ok with being a couple degrees over if thats what ends up happening
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will most likely not ever reach MBT (Minimum Best Torque ... where more timing yields no more power) on pump gas, so it is perfectly logical to add timing until you encounter knock and then pull back a couple of degrees.

If you are on C16, E85 or similar then you do need a way to monitor torque output as you may reach MBT. You don't need a dyno for this. You can use a software application such as Data Log Lab for this assuming your pulls are consistently in the same place on the street.

Modifying timing does slightly affect the AFR, but not by much. If you dial in the AFR then tune the timing, you will only need to make minor tweaks to the AFR to get it back in line ... if any.

My suggestion for tuning a boosted lancer is to first apply the modified MAF Scaling settings so that you don't run out of fuel up top. Then, rescale the fuel and timing maps to 110 load. Next, pull about 8º of timing from 80 to 110 load before you do a single pull. That should keep you from seeing knock. Pull more if needed. Set the boost, dial in the fuel and then the timing and that's it.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Never mind....

There you go guys, is that easy..... later

Quick Reply: Timing Map Explanation?