Notices

How does an exhaust system sound with the CVT?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2010 | 12:59 PM

How does an exhaust system sound with the CVT?

I'm debating about putting one on but I'm just curious if it will even sound good. Does anyone have opinions about it? and will it void any kind of warranty?
Old Feb 11, 2010 | 12:21 PM

i havent heard one but my guess is it will be making some serious noise when on throttle. like your gear never changes. just a guess tho.
Old Feb 15, 2010 | 10:44 PM

that is what i was considering, and thats why im not to sure if I wanna get an exhaust system for it. I'm not to sure if it will be annoying or not.
Old Feb 20, 2010 | 08:22 AM

well what model lancer do you have? i have the GTS so it has the sporttronic cvt in it and i have an Injen axle back and it sounds good. if you have it in D then it sounds weird because it is just a constant noise, but i always use the sport mode and when i am driving around town i let off a little right before i change gears to make it sound like a manual. i think it sounds really good but that is my opinion. i say go for it if you have a GTS.
Old Feb 20, 2010 | 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thenuzz
when i am driving around town i let off a little right before i change gears to make it sound like a manual.
Old Feb 24, 2010 | 12:54 PM

Hey now, so the guys got confidence issues, no need to laugh at him...but between you and me...it is pretty funny.
Old Feb 25, 2010 | 04:30 AM

you can laugh all you want, doesnt bother me. i spent a year in iraq and it was my wifes car while i was gone. plus when we have kids she doesnt want to have to worry about shifting.
Old Feb 25, 2010 | 10:18 AM

If you get a good exhaust and intake it sounds nice, but it is obviously still an endless drone. Its going to be a lot more noise than a manual because there is no break in noise from shifting.

But I kind of like it because it makes ppl confused...did that guy just go from 0 to 60 mph in first gear lol?
Old Feb 26, 2010 | 01:07 PM

What does Iraq and Your wife have to do with the fact that you let off the gas pedal just before you shift to make people think you bought a manual. Whens the last time you where driving next to someone when there car started to shift shock and you turned to your wife and said...look hunny, that cars is a manual, take out your camera phone and snap a picture, cant wait to tell the guys at work all about this. Come on guy.
Old Feb 28, 2010 | 02:59 AM
Evolving Member

I got annoyed with the constant droneing of an SRI, but you probably get more cabin noise from those than you do from an exhaust. I almost always drive in the sport mode unless I'm feeling super lazy though. I also got tired of my friends laughing from the insanely loud roar of the engine running flat out to get to 40mph. It just makes it all bark and no bite.
Old Feb 28, 2010 | 09:12 AM

well i do have ES Sport, and i figured that it would sound weird since there is no shift

Thanks for your input!
Old Mar 22, 2010 | 05:49 AM

I have an 09 GTS CVT with RRM SRI and Tsudo Exhaust, sounds lovely. Very deep lows, and roars at 3500 and higher. I do not know what these people are talking about. In D mode, my car automatically stays around 2000 RPM no matter how fast I am going (except when getting closer to top end)...which means you barely hear the SRI or exhaust unless you are on the highway going over 70, and even then my RPMs aren't that high...and so the noise is still not an issue (for me anyway).

Now, if you have an exhaust that sounds like a fart can, that may be a different issue all together. The Tsudo N1 may look like one (lol) but it sounds like ultra deep, clean bass. The real issue may have to do with what sort of exhaust you are looking to get, rather than if your car is a Manual or CVT. After all, in manuals you are not just indefinately shifting...at some point you stop shifting and cruise at a constant RPM just like the CVT does. Sure, your car will be louder as you accelerate (because of the RPMs being higher during that time) but isn't that part of the reason why we get exhaust in the first place?
Old Mar 22, 2010 | 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Friggin ricers.
Old Mar 22, 2010 | 07:14 AM

was that geared at me or the "fart cans" comment?

Last edited by Matsubishi; Mar 22, 2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2010 | 08:07 PM

Had a Magnaflow Performance Exhaust (stainless steel) catback system on my old car which was CVT and it sounded excellent. The last thing I wanted to do was have it sound rice, which it certainly did not. At idle you could not even hear the exhaust whatsoever. It had a nice deep rumble to it without the buzz that you hear from Hondas on every street in America.

I would definitely recommend it. I think it cost me around $800 at the time (about a year ago), but I've seen it for around $600 now. Only thing is that, since it's not a bolt-on installation, you'll have to cut the downpipe 3 inches after the catalytic converter, voiding the warranty. If you're willing to get past that, then I'd say the Magnaflow is a no-brainer. (Check it out here: http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/04sport.asp)

Quick Reply: How does an exhaust system sound with the CVT?