Notices

Can u Frankenstein a TB?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I'm buying a stock intake mani off another member so I can port and polish it. I was looking to weld an adapter plate onto it to fit a new TB, but everyone that I'm finding isn't set up for any kind of cruise control or vacuum setup at all.

Basically, I have a 3" CAI, and I'm looking to maximize my airflow. My goal is to port and polish a 4g94 IM, get the largest TB i can put in, and replace the MAF with a much larger unit. I'm running a 4-2-1 header, 2.5" pipe all the way back.

My next step, when I get the money to do so, is to port and polish the 4g93 head I have....but one step at a time RIght now I'm just doing research to find out the best way to go. I was hoping to do a custom setup and keep the cruise, but it looks like that would be impossible without having a machine shop make a custom setup for me...

I'm going to pull apart the TB I have in the next few days to see just how the vacuum works for the cruise and see if something can be retrofitted into a racing TB to make it work... Or my other option is to set up an aftermarket cruise control setup (hopefully keeping the stock steering column controls).
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwick76
Well, I'm buying a stock intake mani off another member so I can port and polish it. I was looking to weld an adapter plate onto it to fit a new TB, but everyone that I'm finding isn't set up for any kind of cruise control or vacuum setup at all.

Basically, I have a 3" CAI, and I'm looking to maximize my airflow. My goal is to port and polish a 4g94 IM, get the largest TB i can put in, and replace the MAF with a much larger unit. I'm running a 4-2-1 header, 2.5" pipe all the way back.

My next step, when I get the money to do so, is to port and polish the 4g93 head I have....but one step at a time RIght now I'm just doing research to find out the best way to go. I was hoping to do a custom setup and keep the cruise, but it looks like that would be impossible without having a machine shop make a custom setup for me...

I'm going to pull apart the TB I have in the next few days to see just how the vacuum works for the cruise and see if something can be retrofitted into a racing TB to make it work... Or my other option is to set up an aftermarket cruise control setup (hopefully keeping the stock steering column controls).
Wow, ok...so I guess now I do get the whole picture. But, I have no exp with determining how much air is flowing through the engine....so how do you know if there is a restriction at the throttle body right now? It seems like with honda's and stuff, any way you open the engine's intake/exhaust up produces gains. With the lancer engine, I haven't seen much gains at all with the N/A stuff people are doing. So I guess, you're sure you need the larger throttle body is my question. I think from what demon did, it sounds like you should get or make a custom intake mani, and use a larger throttle body with your intake being custom made for the throttle body...and an aftermarket cruise control module, if such a thing exists.

or, polish the inside, maybe grind a little off, and call it a day with the stock TB and just see where you are at that point.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

So okay, I've been looking and now I'm excited....apparently they make kits that don't need vacuum

http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com...3/lancerat0106

I'll have to see if I can get installation instructions for this, it's $200, but looks like it works with the factory cruise harness in the steering column... so this means I should be able to do the 70mm TB that I was looking at. I'll post more when I have more info....
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
Wow, ok...so I guess now I do get the whole picture. But, I have no exp with determining how much air is flowing through the engine....so how do you know if there is a restriction at the throttle body right now?
or, polish the inside, maybe grind a little off, and call it a day with the stock TB and just see where you are at that point.

Well, I'm going by other's experimentation with the MAF and the IM, no one seems to do more than the RRM...and from what I'm seeing with a NA setup, anything over 67mm is pretty much overkill. I figure there are plenty of pretty polished TBs out there for the 03 that I could do some welding and custom work to, ranging from 70mm -80mm. I figure I might as well go bigger so I've got a nice setup for when I eventually go turbo (when I buy a daily driver and take the OZ off the road for a project car), instead of having to mess with the intake setup again in the future. A bigger TB won't do anything better, but it won't hurt me either (unless I'm going to run into issues with the injector...which I'm hoping to get feedback on).

So now that I've found an aftermarket cruise setup, my only issue is whether or not I can mount all the sensors onto the aftermarket deal. I'm going to take everything off the stock TB i have to get a good feel for the main body, and compare it with some detailed pics and specs of the aftermarket ones I was looking at...
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Also found this kit, sounds like it's an easier install.... definitely going to get onto the redline forums and see what's up with it.

http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/rostra/rostra-cruise-control-kit.asp
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seems like a lotta work....I think just polish it up for now, and when you turn it into a project car, then just remove cruise control all together!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

^ +1

yeah, been debating that, too I've been looking into how to redirect the coolant lines from the throttle body, and all i"ve found so far was a civic dude who just threw an elbow in and spliced them, called it done. I've read a couple things about the coolant lines, some say it keeps the throttle body cooler, others say it's a bad idea. Any input on this, either way from any mitsu guys/girls(are there any mitsu girls in here?!)?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

If you're looking for power, just find the best route there and who cares if it has cruise or not ...

FWIW, with what you're going through to retrofit a TB, you can just tap the intake mani and add a vacuum line, borrow a vacuum source from an existing line or add a vacuum block to get what you need for the cruise.

And yes, it's not a big deal to get rid of the coolant to the TB. It helps with setting the idle based on temp, but that's it. Your idle stepper will work overtime and your idle screw may need a little adjustment to compensate, but there are no other issues.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^+1 about coolent lines.
However may have some issue with rough idle when cold.

As for the cruise control, all you will need on the new TB is a place to mount the "gold dome" and a hook/arm off the butterfly in the TB to push the rod coming out the bottom of the "gold dome".
There are no vacuum lines going to or from the TB.

So as long as you can remount the cruise and push the rod coming from the bottom of the "gold dome", then you'll be great.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nevermind my ignorent comment about the TB not having vacuum lines going to it.
I remembered wrong, it does.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
well why cant you do this instead?

just get the evo 8/9 intake manifold and just weld a flange on the end just like a turbo manifold? That way you can still use the evo TB without doing any mods to the current intake mani?

Or can someone make an intake mani for cheap and make the TB's easy to swap? I would rather just swap TB's than to mess with the one I have because if I screw up on one piece my engine would be F******
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mci2727
^+1 about coolent lines.
However may have some issue with rough idle when cold.

As for the cruise control, all you will need on the new TB is a place to mount the "gold dome" and a hook/arm off the butterfly in the TB to push the rod coming out the bottom of the "gold dome".
There are no vacuum lines going to or from the TB.

So as long as you can remount the cruise and push the rod coming from the bottom of the "gold dome", then you'll be great.
well if your turboed the coolant lines shouldn't even be an issue, but yeah I know he is not turbo so I was just throwing that out there
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

deleted

Last edited by jwick76; Oct 18, 2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwick76
I have another idea, after inspecting the TB off the stock lancer, I noticed that the vacuum lines mounted on the throttle body are only pinholes on the inside on opposite ends of the butterfly valve...so I could (in theory) just drill new holes in a new throttle body. The only vacuum line that is a mystery to me (right now) is the one next to the one on the bottom of the TB (there is a pair of them, one directly into the butterfly chamber, the other one apparently channels somewhere else)....

ALso, can someone explain what the sensor mounted on the cooling plate (number 3 in the diagram at the top of this page) is for? I disassembled it and it's some weird contraption I can only assume regulates idle based on temp? If i do an aftermarket setup, how do I eliminate this without having any issues (will it throw a code)? If I decided to go with an EVO 8/9 TB, would this just splice into the evo TB temp unit?

is the evo 8/9 TB a direct fit? and what hp is it rated to. Might as well just do that swap anyways
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven121
is the evo 8/9 TB a direct fit? and what hp is it rated to. Might as well just do that swap anyways
\
Not a direct fit from what I'm reading, you need to fab a mounting plate for the IM and weld it on.

Which is a little bit more involved than buying an aftermarket deal that already has the mounting plate. *shrugs*

Originally Posted by TouringBubble

FWIW, with what you're going through to retrofit a TB, you can just tap the intake mani and add a vacuum line, borrow a vacuum source from an existing line or add a vacuum block to get what you need for the cruise.
How big would these need to be? From what I saw in the TB, they're pinholes, would it matter if they were a bit bigger, does it have to be a certain amount of vacuum pressure for it to work properly? And any ideas on the lower vacuum port that disappears into the throttle body itself (not just passes into the butterfly chamber)?

Originally Posted by mci2727
I would have no idea how to make this work with the rod functioning properly, it's definitely kind of a weird setup that I wouldn't even want to mess with...

My question is, if i can disconnect the coolant lines, it only affects the FIAV, does the sensor still need to be connected? If not, can I just remove part 3 of the diagram altogether? If this is the case, then an aftermarket setup should be pretty easy other than the cruise control issue. I just can't figure out how that hidden vacuum port routes into the TB itself...so I'm thinking an electric servo unit is the way to go. From what I was reading, they're actually a bit better than the vacuum setup as they can work from 20mph up, whereas the lancer one only starts working at 30mph (it's my cop protector in school zones or when being tailed for being an import and need to mirror the speed limit exactly). Seems like it'd be a PITA to install, and would eliminate my headlight control on the steering column with the one I want to get. So I'm still researching, but I'm thinking it's one of those *buy and try* deals until I find a system that works. I'll be contacting some manufacturers to see if they can give me specific info...

Last edited by jwick76; Oct 18, 2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added stuff

Quick Reply: Can u Frankenstein a TB?