Notices

Can u Frankenstein a TB?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock evo tb is a direct fit all u need to do is just rewire the tps sensor to get it to work
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
rewire.. well u should say, u need an evo TPS and pigtails to go along with that to wire up.. and it works great.. Im lovin this huge Tb i have (boomba 75mm, for the evo)
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Demon_ni2
rewire.. well u should say, u need an evo TPS and pigtails to go along with that to wire up.. and it works great.. Im lovin this huge Tb i have (boomba 75mm, for the evo)
oops yea forgot to mention that lol
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
so how do we get ahold of one of demons intake mani's?

might as well just do it all and call it done
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Demon_ni2

Okay, the TPS is pretty much the same price as an aftermarket TB:-p BUT, if it's 67mm and has the cruise control setup, I'll see if I can find a used one. I'll look around the forums for the how to, if you have a link that would be awesome!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess you guys never read my posts . I am running a Evo Tb with both Evo sensors . I redid the wiring on the Tps , the other sensor was plug and play ! (13's at the quarter )
Old Oct 21, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
I guess you guys never read my posts . I am running a Evo Tb with both Evo sensors . I redid the wiring on the Tps , the other sensor was plug and play ! (13's at the quarter )

dude, you have like 958 posts that show when searching your name, little help??;-p
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, so final round of questions so I can make a final decision before investing any more $$ into the project:

--What is the diameter of the 501 MAF? (tbd, got one coming in the mail)

--What's the maximum bore diameter that the stock 4g94 IM will support? (was told 60mm, give or take...prob more on a 4g93)

If I can get these numbers, I'm going to make a final decision between the stock evo TB, or aftermarket 70mm or 80mm TB. I'm going to cut and weld the stock cruise assembly onto the new TB, after taking it apart it doesn't seem to be too too complicated (but welding aluminum is ALWAYS fun:-p). Do I need to keep the sensor on the cooling plate, or can I disconnect this without any issues?---you can, but there's no point to it...didn't notice any difference as-is, prob see a slight diff with a phenolic TB spacer

Thanks guys

Last edited by jwick76; Apr 14, 2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: update
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

okay, I bought a 2003 evo TB, definitely a lot more airflow on it from the looks. I'm going to be welding on the cruise control assembly, and have some questions about how to disassemble the stock evo TB throttle linkage, as it seems to be press-fit whereas the 4g94 is bolted.

Here are some pics. If anyone can give me some pointers so I don't break anything, that would be great... even a blown-apart diagram would be great. Thanks for the help. I'll post updates with how it goes.

This first set is of the stock 4g94 tb:

The nut and bolt system seems pretty straight-forward on the 4g94 tb, but here are pics of the evo tb:
(evo on the bottom)

This is the retension part of the throttle, and I'm wondering how to disassemble this...

I'm assuming once I get the one off of the evo tb, i can replace it with the nut and bolt system from the 4g94 and then weld on the cruise assembly to make it all work. There is room on the evo TB to mount it with some careful aluminum welding...
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwick76
okay, I bought a 2003 evo TB, definitely a lot more airflow on it from the looks. I'm going to be welding on the cruise control assembly, and have some questions about how to disassemble the stock evo TB throttle linkage, as it seems to be press-fit whereas the 4g94 is bolted.

Here are some pics. If anyone can give me some pointers so I don't break anything, that would be great... even a blown-apart diagram would be great. Thanks for the help. I'll post updates with how it goes.

This first set is of the stock 4g94 tb:

The nut and bolt system seems pretty straight-forward on the 4g94 tb, but here are pics of the evo tb:
(evo on the bottom)

This is the retension part of the throttle, and I'm wondering how to disassemble this...

I'm assuming once I get the one off of the evo tb, i can replace it with the nut and bolt system from the 4g94 and then weld on the cruise assembly to make it all work. There is room on the evo TB to mount it with some careful aluminum welding...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...aft-seals.html
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ill show you how to take it apart .

Remove the Tps sensor , inside you will see a C clip , remove it , there is a white washer , also remove it . Take the 2 Philips screws on the flapper , remove it . Now pull it out from the throttle cable side .
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

thanks guys! lots of good info. I'll be taking them apart tomorrow and swapping things out. won't get to the welding until saturday if I'm lucky.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

ran into some delays, ended up having to rewire my amp/alternator setup, got my new rims and tires on, and installed a 501MAF. so this thursday/friday is the goal for the mockup of the evo TB with cruise...once i get everything assembled i'll decide how i'm going to weld everything, and track down any extra aluminum i have lying around to make the job work...
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Update...ran into a bit of a delay...need to buy a couple of different things for my MIG welder to work with aluminum...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:31 AM

Where are most of the power gains in the larger TB

Quick Reply: Can u Frankenstein a TB?